20i Reseller Hosting

.UK Consultation meeting

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by websaway, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TinkyWinky United Kingdom

    TinkyWinky Active Member Acorn Supporter

    Joined:
    Mar 2006
    Posts:
    942
    Likes Received:
    18
    My new puppy could do that role better than is happening now - sorry I lie...

    " ◦Effectively Lead and manage the Membership team "

    Not going to happen... he's a bit selfish at the moment...

    11 jobs available... didn't see one for the new "Shit hits fan .UK Co-ordinator though" ...

    Legal Counsel - that made me laugh... they expecting some grief fairly soon?

    TW



     
  2. Domain Forum

    Acorn Domains Elite Member

    Joined:
    1999
    Messages:
    Many
    Likes Received:
    Lots
    articles.co.uk
     
  3. Stephen United Kingdom

    Stephen Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 2006
    Posts:
    1,734
    Likes Received:
    13
    Nominet Jobs x 11

    Link for all 11 jobs open at Nominet;

    http://apply.jobs.nominet.org.uk/vacancies.html#

    Hopefully some of these costs will be allocated to .wales and will not just be used to push an excuse for .co.uk renewal rates to increase.

    Unless there is a big Nominet walk out and they need to replace current staff, 11 new staff, that is a big base cost increase.
     
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  4. anthony United Kingdom

    anthony Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 2006
    Posts:
    1,759
    Likes Received:
    33
    Bearing in mind the shit load of money they have to give away every year to the NT, they can clearly afford to employ these, and many more besides.
     
  5. Edwin

    Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    9,817
    Likes Received:
    533
    They have 126 staff (2012 annual report figure) so 11 more isn't a crazy number at all.
     
  6. websaway United Kingdom

    websaway Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2007
    Posts:
    4,886
    Likes Received:
    101
    One would think that after all the trouble Nominet customers went to in responding to, not one, but two consultation requests, they would have the decency to issue a progress report promised for early November, or at least issue a statement as to the reason for the delay.
     
  7. Edwin

    Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    9,817
    Likes Received:
    533
  8. Stephen United Kingdom

    Stephen Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 2006
    Posts:
    1,734
    Likes Received:
    13
    Nominet page

    Just looking at the .uk page on Nominet site and I thought the number of replies was higher than 300 and they were going to communicate 'decision' not outcome and they put a date of early November to publish, which does not appear to be mentioned?

    The information I can remember, may have been on some other communique, so I might be getting mixed up.

    http://www.nominet.org.uk/how-participate/policy-development/current-policy-discussions-and-consultations/registration-second

     
  9. Rob_F United Kingdom

    Rob_F Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    1,490
    Likes Received:
    24
    Nom email: [nom-announce] Update on policy consultations

    "The feedback will be reviewed by our Board at their next meeting on 29th October. Once a decision has been reached on the way forward, we will publish submissions, where permission has been given to do so, and an assessment of the impact of the current proposal. We expect to publish our update in early November."
     
  10. websaway United Kingdom

    websaway Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2007
    Posts:
    4,886
    Likes Received:
    101
    Registration of second level domain names

    We would like to thank everyone who took the time to read the proposals and respond. We received 313 consultation responses, as well as feedback from four roundtable sessions, stakeholder meetings, emails and a webinar.

    The feedback will be reviewed by our Board at their next meeting on 29th October. Once a decision has been reached on the way forward, we will publish submissions, where permission has been given to do so, and an assessment of the impact of the current proposal. We expect to publish our update in early November.


    http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/update-policy-consultations
     
  11. websaway United Kingdom

    websaway Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2007
    Posts:
    4,886
    Likes Received:
    101
    Spoke to someone at Nominet today and they said that they will pass on my concerns and say that the delay could have been posted on Nominet's website so as to let people know the announcement was not going to be early November as suggested .
    He seemed to think it would be before the end of the month. He added it was very complex.
    He also added that when the announcement is made if I would like to talk to them about how the decision effects me they would be happy to help.

    Read into that what you will.
     
  12. Edwin

    Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    9,817
    Likes Received:
    533
    From that comment, sounds it's going ahead, in some form.

    After all, it's not "complex" to say "nope, no change".

    But we might get another consultation, if we're lucky.

    Beyond that, I'm not going to speculate - it's unhealthy revisiting this day after day when no new info is available... all it does is raise the blood pressure!
     
  13. websaway United Kingdom

    websaway Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2007
    Posts:
    4,886
    Likes Received:
    101
    I read the comments from nominet on your twitter.

    In reality further consultation would be a worst case scenario.
     
  14. Brassneck United Kingdom

    Brassneck Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    3,122
    Likes Received:
    32
    Thanks for sharing.

    Stephen.
     
  15. Edwin

    Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2005
    Posts:
    9,817
    Likes Received:
    533
    Not really. The longer the delay, the more MPs can be consulted, FOI requests raised etc. Plus if it drags on beyond the new GTLD launch and the first few crash and burn out of the gate (which is highly likely) then the only rationale put forward for .uk no longer applies.

    Yes, the uncertainty hurts us all - but if a further delay means it can ultimately be stopped, that seems more desirable than having it go forward.
     
  16. websaway United Kingdom

    websaway Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2007
    Posts:
    4,886
    Likes Received:
    101
    I'm inclined to think that another consultation would further add to the already lack of confidence in the UK extensions. The people who buy uk's and the people who advertise them by simply owning and using them are the lifeblood, there will come a time when those people move out of the namespace out of the industry or just stop using a website, preferring other methods as a way of marketing their services.
     
  17. Stephen United Kingdom

    Stephen Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 2006
    Posts:
    1,734
    Likes Received:
    13
    15th is mid not early

    Thanks for contacting them and posting.

    15th is mid not early, so I think they will do at least an interim announcement about .uk today before going off to Brazil, based on past actions of wanting to appear to keep promises and engage with everybody.
     
  18. foz

    foz Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2006
    Posts:
    3,034
    Likes Received:
    34
    Lets face it the top 10-20 registrars have the power now. All the other members are now viewed as bottom feeders. Membership engagement is just gibberish. Behind closed doors the hierarchy will talk one-on-one with the players.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Stephen United Kingdom

    Stephen Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 2006
    Posts:
    1,734
    Likes Received:
    13
    no update on .uk at all

    I phoned Nominet this morning, did not get same answer as you.

    Just "no update on .uk, when it is published it will be on the website."

    No plans even to provide on update on statement to release decision in early November.
     
  20. websaway United Kingdom

    websaway Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2007
    Posts:
    4,886
    Likes Received:
    101
    Even the most pro .uk entities must look at this situation ( this particular issue ) and conclude that the treatment of Nominet customers is shabby.

    It is simple to post on the Nominet website that the update is being delayed.

    Because courtesy is inexpensive, I for one have to deduce that the delay in any form of communication is part of a strategy and not simple inefficiency.
     
  21. foz

    foz Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

    Joined:
    Oct 2006
    Posts:
    3,034
    Likes Received:
    34
    The players like Godaddy will get what they want (biggest channel to market).

    .uk domains.
    Retain expired inventory.
    Ability to change registrant owner.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.