Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.uk domain right

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think shelving it only works if they can do it in a way that they can never ever come back for a 3rd try. I don't see how they could realistically (or legally) do that. Some Nominet board later on might fancy another crack at cashing in. Or Nominet might not be in charge of the UK name space at all and the government won't be able to help themselves and will cash in.

It can definitely be killed off for good. When the Data Protection Act regulator - the ico (an independent body appointed by the Queen) makes such a decisive statement about the security flaws in launching this new domain then the government and nominet ought to take notice. Here's what they said about security:

"...In terms of specific security issues, we are concerned that the addition of second level .uk domains could result in confusion, and potentially lead to security incidents. For example, the possibility of two separate organisations having the same domain but at different levels – which could confuse individuals and result in wrongly directed email, for example. Depending on the type of organisations involved, such a disclosure could result in financial or sensitive information being wrongly disclosed.

There is also the additional aspect of ensuring appropriate IT updates and re-directs take place (irrespective of other updates such as changes to stationery, contact with consumers to notify them of the change). In our experience as a regulator failure to update software, or incorrect installation of updates, frequently contribute to or cause security breaches resulting in loss of, or damage to, personal data."

http://www.ico.org.uk/about_us/cons...level-domain-registration-in-uk-july-2013.pdf

So they get around that by inviting anyone who feels they need it, to submit an application to be granted the .uk outside of 'earliest first' rules, based on a security need.

So they get around that by inviting anyone who feels they need it, to submit an application to be granted the .uk outside of 'earliest first' rules, based on a security need.

No, because then you're back to a modified V1 i.e. complex rules for allocating domains that nobody really understands and that guarantee "winners" and "losers".

Nigel's spot on about the ICO stuff. Perhaps more so than even he realises? I sense another blog post coming on...

only way to get around that is to kill it off

No, because then you're back to a modified V1 i.e. complex rules for allocating domains that nobody really understands and that guarantee "winners" and "losers".

If its the only way they can launch it, its better (from their point of view) than not launching it at all.

It really wouldn't need to be that complicated - run as v2 but with one addition. If you feel you need the .uk to be granted to you on security grounds, you pay a £1000 non refundable fee and it goes to a hearing. If its agreed you get the .uk, if not you don't. Set the fee high enough to put off speculative attempts at grabbing a .uk that you weren't entitled to.

make it clear

I think it makes them look bad if they put out results showing that it is/was a horrendous idea and should never ever be considered at any point in the future.

Fair enough if they put out results saying we've weighed up both sides and its not going to happen... but that doesn't block it off from happening in a year or two.

I will never buy a domain like Monaco.co.uk if .uk is shelved.

Hopefully Nominet take on your viewpoint, if they decide not to go ahead with .uk.

Make it clear about .uk, otherwise they will damage future developments in the UK namespace.

It is real businesses that will not develop on UK domains if they feel in future they will not get the .uk domain later,
as Nominet have tried two massively different models to distribute the .uk,
who knows what they might consider next time? if they don't make it clear.

If its the only way they can launch it, its better (from their point of view) than not launching it at all.

It really wouldn't need to be that complicated - run as v2 but with one addition. If you feel you need the .uk to be granted to you on security grounds, you pay a £1000 non refundable fee and it goes to a hearing. If its agreed you get the .uk, if not you don't. Set the fee high enough to put off speculative attempts at grabbing a .uk that you weren't entitled to.

I think you're clutching at straws with this solution

I think you're clutching at straws with this solution

I'm thinking at it from the angle of what Nominet are going to need to do to get around the barriers domainers are trying to place in front of them.

Its a workable solution - set the fee high enough to chase away speculative attempts and the workload could be managed in say a 6 month period easily.

It would pretty much be an open and shut case taking 10 minutes to decide that hotmail.uk needs to go to Microsoft.

I'm thinking at it from the angle of what Nominet are going to need to do to get around the barriers domainers are trying to place in front of them.

Its a workable solution - set the fee high enough to chase away speculative attempts and the workload could be managed in say a 6 month period easily.

It would pretty much be an open and shut case taking 10 minutes to decide that hotmail.uk needs to go to Microsoft.

so you're advocating .uk domains being distributed at hearings behind closed doors? I can't think of anything worse for the .uk domain space.

The findings could be published. People could appeal results they weren't happy with. Just like a domain dispute currently.

The easiest most sensible way out for Nominet is to pair permanently the .uk to the co.uk
Ownership can never be split and only one string can be set to resolve at any one time via the Nominet / Registrar control panel.

It fixes all the security issues
It fixes all the uncertainty. Allowing investment in the uk namespace return
It allows other third levels to retain their distinct usage. e.g domains ending in ac.uk being a trusted source of academic information (a thing that was drummed into us during my degree and why I believe no uni would want to move to the direct.uk)

The one minor downside a small number org.uk / me.uk holders don't get granted something they never had anyway the primary extension in the namespace.

So not only are companies going to have to pay the registration fees for a new domain they never asked for, they're going to have to pay nominet £1,000 to get them in the first place.

Again.. for something nobody is asking for.

From your doom and gloom views Monkey no co.uk should be being sold as we speak; yet they are.

You may say "because those people don't know about .uk" and if it isn't released they never will.. like the massive 99%+ of people in the UK who haven't heard of it

Just scrap the whole .uk idea, it was ridiculous for even being allowed as a consultation in the first place.

Not sure why you think "domainers" are the problem. The ICO, the English Chapter of the Internet Society, and various other completely "undomainer" organisations also oppose .uk.

So not only are companies going to have to pay the registration fees for a new domain they never asked for, they're going to have to pay nominet £1,000 to get them in the first place.

If its going to be forced through anyway, then paying £1k to get it is the lesser of two evils.

From your doom and gloom views Monkey no co.uk should be being sold as we speak; yet they are.

I would have been willing to pay thousands more for Seychelles.co.uk than it sold for this week - the sole reason I didn't bid was because it doesn't qualify for the .uk

what you think is best?

I'm thinking at it from the angle of what Nominet are going to need to do to get around the barriers domainers are trying to place in front of them......

I know a lot of the feedback published so far has been from domainers (people at Acorn),
but they as I do, have other business interests, backgrounds, qualifications, domain knowledge and a sense of right/wrong and do not feel that all the comments I have read on the published .uk feedback are not limited in any way to a narrow perspective of a domain investor.

Thanks for stating what you believe Nominet will accept, but perhaps you should consider also adding what you think is best for the UK namespace, regardless of what you think Nominet will or will not accept.

p.s. please publish your .uk feedback

Latest published is Paul Keating [email protected] http://www.youruk.org.uk/PaulKeatingSecondleveldomainregistrationukeditablepdf.pdf

Last edited:
I submitted my feedback to Nominet as did my business partner and one of my employees. I checked the 'do not publish' box on it... not sure what the other 2 done. No surprises that we were all in favour of it...

"but perhaps you should consider also adding what you think is best for the UK namespace" - I think the best thing for the namespace would have been to do absolutely nothing - never even mention .uk, or bring it up.

Now that we have had a couple of consultations over it, I feel the best thing to do is push ahead and release it. Otherwise we're forever thinking it'll come back for v3, which is destroying my ability or interest in developing a seychelles.co.uk, a monaco.co.uk, a paydayloans.co.uk, etc

Because some of the points I was making might have created an apparent conflict of interest later on for me / make it harder to sell domains that I might acquire as a direct result of .uk. There was only a downside to allowing it to be published... I couldn't see a single upside.

I would have been willing to pay thousands more for Seychelles.co.uk than it sold for this week - the sole reason I didn't bid was because it doesn't qualify for the .uk

The people put off buying co.uk wont make any major dent in the big scheme of things.

Monkey said:

I honestly don't believe that most domainers are doing things for their own gains.

Edwin (sorry to use you as an example Edwin) has some incredible domains that he would also get the .uk for, doubles his premiums over night for a few pounds.

britain co uk and now britain uk

I would be licking my lips lol

But he is still campaigning against it because it's what makes sense and it's what is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom