Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

UK Leaves the EU - What happens next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree it's probably the biggest train wreck in history.
Gravy everywhere.

Not meant to be a personal attack on anyone and forgive if anyone is sensitive regarding actual train crashes.

GRRR! Farage makes angry, he only has to open his mouth, and it set's me off!

Blair has a point, of sorts. A brexiteer may only get a reasonable deal, where as somebody like May will work for the best possible deal, a deal that is going to be harder to come by after Farage's outburst :/

Both major parties shoving remain down our throats - each camp was only supposed to spend a maximum of £16m on their campaigns...I imagine remain spent several times what leave did if visibility is a measure.
The leave campaign was half-arsed at best, fractured and set up to fail at worst (obvious the way some leave campaigners have acted since....disgusting)

I'd go as far as to suggest the remain campaign's behaviour possibly pushed those on the fence towards leave. We had 1 single leaflet in favour of leave through our door (we have 3 eligible voters). Given the lack of communication from the leave side and the huge abuse it was getting through the media about being racist, the remain campaign really need to think about what they did to push so many away.

The entire campaign (on both sides) seemed to be one of creating discord and tension, putting the other side down based on their personalities rather than their politics

Blair did a terrible, terrible thing - the full ramifications of which will hopefully be exposed in Chilcott next week. But he has forgotten more about statesmanship than most of the current lot ever knew.

Teresa May's comment yesterday that "politics is not a game" has never been more needed. Because that's how most of the politicians are playing it at the moment...

My prediction:
May becomes PM
Osborne stays Chancellor
Brexiteers take the Foreign Minister role, and the new Minister for Brexit job

From my limited knowledge on politics, Teresa May does appear to be the logical choice.

Here's what your prescious EU is upto.

Can any remainers explain why they want to be ruled by a dictatorship?

Here's what your prescious EU is upto.

Can any remainers explain why they want to be ruled by a dictatorship?

Okay, several things.

Can we stop using the word dictatorship - it is not (check your dictionary).

There are no remain voters that I know who have not agreed that the EU needs reform. I voted remain and was hoping for a tight win margin because I had the hope that would add to the pressure to start enacting much needed reforms.

Also, ALL the national governments had by default agreed to this:

“A storm of anger is blowing, increasingly aimed at Jean-Claude Juncker. Yet the President of the European Commission is only doing his job. His institution is responsible for the common trade policy in the EU. The member states decided that was how it should be. They also voted unanimously at their summit meeting in Brussels to continue the work on the two agreements. In view of the public criticism of these deals Juncker asked the heads of state and government whether they still wanted them - and offered to suspend the negotiations. The heads of government rejected this. Now the EU member states must, however, also accept that Juncker doesn't want to leave it to the 28 national parliaments to vote on Ceta.”

https://www.eurotopics.net/en/161756/row-over-the-ceta-agreement?zitat=161709

That I agree with ... let's have 6 strong political parties to force a coalition government which hopefully will push through proportional representation.

Absolutely. Coalitions forever is our only chance of avoiding future populist disasters.

If I wanted I could commission a poll to prove their were more hot dog eaters in the remain camp than leave, these things are called "clickbait" and most here should be well aware of that.

I'd like to see osbourne go, he's a snake, he knows he'll disappear into the night once he is no longer chancellor, indeed if reports are to be believed, he wanted "project fear" to be even worse then it was, he ultimately cost the remain vote the victory. His approach detached working class people who have had to deal with his "austerity" measures for years with no result.

May is a neutral choice, balanced, more importantly she says brexit is brexit so no u-turn. Gove is a disgrace, Johnson wasn't up for it, he didn't expect the victory and when it came backtracked big time making him an impossible choice, that said, he should have got to stand, only to lose, he would not have won it anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if osbourne told gove to stand but at the same time is speaking to May behind goves back, sort of covering both outcomes, he is a weasel. I mean how can someone who openly stated that an emergency budget will be introduced on a leave vote suddenly say, after defeat, we don't need it and still hold his position. Everyone with some sense knew there would be turmoil in the markets, this is not how things will be, it is a knee jerk reaction from the markets over such a big decision. The Bank of England is also probably allowing a little "we told you so" they could have eased the market days ago, they will of course do it but clearly want some "effect" first.

If being in the single market means losing control of our borders, we won't be in it, it's that simple. The EU can play the big man right now but it won't last, there are alot of UK tourists who visit Spain for example, so if they want to play dirty the UK is in a good position to give as good as it takes. Without tourism we all know where Spain would be, the amount of VW's etc you see means Germany isn't going to want to cause too many ripples. I've said it before, the core leaders in the EU, juncker etc need to go, they see only their vision, it's not a collective vision. Allowing too many people from poor countries devalues the economy, I have no problem with controlled immigration, diversity is good, but the citizens of a country must always be placed first and this vote showed, and we all know, that hasn't been the case for some years.

Interesting that both the Daily Mail and now The Sun back May. Probably realised that a tuned-in Remainer (and very modestly so at that) is preferable to a clueless Leaver.

Brexit isn't a football match, to be chewed over for a couple of days and then forgotten!

Remainers will let the matter drop when the union is definitively saved, the supposedly fantastic trade deals have been signed and ratified, the effects of the loss of EU membership and EU funding on science, business and the regions has been mitigated, the status of the millions of EU citizens living here and UK citizens living in other parts of the EU has been protected etc. etc.

And not before...

The dinosaurs who head the EU are now in an impossible position. They need the UK's trade, but say access to the single market depends on the 4 freedoms, at least one, border control, the UK will not relent on. Now had the EU leaders actually had some commonsense, well before this vote, they would have reformed the free movement. It's unbelievable that a handful of people control 27 countries with no real democratic process for law making. EU citizens will be allowed to remain, but if they leave they would be subject to the normal conditions of entry thereafter, this will apply in reverse as well. Spain, a popular ex pat destination is not going to make life difficult for ex pats, their economy would collapse. As things clear it's not difficult to see the UK is in a strong position, the dust has to settle, if the far right win in France next year, the EU is effectively over.

It's hard to know the MP's that were riding the gravy train, If anyone could be devoid of self interest, I think it would be IDS.
He more than anyone else saw the way society was going and acted.

It's hard to know the MP's that were riding the gravy train, If anyone could be devoid of self interest, I think it would be IDS.
He more than anyone else saw the way society was going and acted.

There might still be a role for him, you never know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom