Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.uk Whois changes (22nd May)

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Whois-Search, May 21, 2018.

1. Skinner

Skinner Well-Known Member

Can you highlight said disclaimer to the buyer, and confirm with them, this is the process to validate the transaction ?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Sean United Kingdom

Sean Retired Member

The details of the process are unimportant so don't get bogged down in them. Just ask for the minimum information required to facilitate the transfer and tell them that you'll request Nominet to transfer the domain into their name. Once you've completed the transfer, send them a link to the whois and ask them to ask their hosting company for the TAG they want the domain transferred to.

Then ask them if they're happy for their details to be displayed via the whois so that they can confirm that the domain has been transferred and that they're the new registrant. It's just semantics and as I said above, the less of a deal you make, the less of problem it will be.

4. Sean United Kingdom

Sean Retired Member

Just to add, discounting Sedo sales, I've never once used Escrow and have always told buyers that I will trust that they're honest and transfer the domain to them before payment, on the promise that immediate payment will be made once the transfer is confirmed. Some buyers say it isn't necessary and pay up front, the majority get a lot more relaxed which usually makes things move much faster.

Without wanting to tempt fate, I've been doing this since 1996 and have never lost a domain.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
  5. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

With GDRP throwing a spanner into the mix, surely it's better to always go via Nominet's £10+VAT transfer process when dealing with novice third parties?

That way, they have the reassurance of dealing with a different arms-length company, not just with the seller telling them "oh yeah, your domain's been transferred now". From experience, Nominet have always been willing to hand hold a buyer through the transfer process if they have any questions or get stuck. Pretty cheap peace of mind.

(Of course, domainer to domainer transactions are different - goes without saying. I'm talking about end-user buyers.)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. ian

ian Well-Known Member

That's assuming the buyer has any clue who Nominet are. I've not come across many that have (from outside the industry of course), so that sometimes requires some explanation too....fortunately none of them have yet said "aren't they are parking sensor company?".

• Like Like x 1
  7. scottmccloud

scottmccloud Well-Known Member

I always do this, £12 is a small price to pay for the strong trust signal it gives end users.

8. Sean United Kingdom

Sean Retired Member

You're a right bunch of drama queens :p

9. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

I usually say something like "They're the domain name equivalent of the Land Registry. They record who owns every domain name." Seems to satisfy people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

@Edwin, with most of my end user sales on Sedo, when I send the £10 + VAT Nominet transfer, in nearly all cases, the buyer leaves the domain on my tag, and Sedo wont pay out if it's still on the sellers personal tag.

I can either accept the handshake or decline it, if I decline, they'll have to get a refund from Nominet for the failed transfer, and then I have to waste time sending a 2nd transfer, and despite telling the Sedo rep to tell the buyer to choose another tag, on more than one occasion, the buyer has left it on my tag during the 2nd transfer as well.

My solution now is, when they leave a domain on my tag, I accept the handshake and detag it straight away, that way, my tag is off the Who-Is and then Sedo close the sale, and yes, before anyone says it, I know they'll probably have to pay another tenner to get it retagged to another registrar, not my problem.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. ian

ian Well-Known Member

When really, we know they are much more than that :eek::oops::rolleyes:

12. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

It's simple, just provide a checkbox for opt-in on your sales email? Or direct them to a static form where you have a checkbox for opt-in. You can then opt them in for marketing emails at the same time if you're crafty (read: compliant) about it.

13. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

But I will need their registration details?

Which are sometimes different than the ones they give me for the invoice

I guess I could say a white lie that I'm giving them to pass on to Nominet to initiate the transfer, but it just sounds/seems dodgy

I guess if they enter the details through the Nominet transfer emails and can see it's in their Nominet account + the whois is different (even if they can't see their name) that will have to be enough

14. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Yes. I tried the free transfer route a few times when Nominet first introduced it, but it quickly starts to sound more complicated than just having Nominet shoot them over an email. Especially since the majority of buyers seem to be business folk not techies.

I prime them to let them know it it is coming: "Nominet will email you directly with a link you can click to take over the legal ownership of ________ domain name." I also explain that "As soon as you complete the transfer at Nominet, the domain name is yours."

So far, touch wood, it's worked well for several hundred transfers and the buyers have been comfortable doing it that way. For the sake of £10+VAT you can't really go wrong. And if the sale's cheap, you could always negotiate that they will pay for the transfer so that you don't lose out.

15. Sean United Kingdom

Sean Retired Member

Why are you even mentioning the word "dodgy"? They want to buy a domain, you're happy to sell it and need certain details to facilitate a transfer which you request via Nominet, the company that maintains the registry. Where does it get dodgy?

16. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

"Dodgy" might not be the right word. But I've had plenty of cases where the "buyer" turned out not to be the ultimate owner of the domain, because I was approached by their web designer, hosting company, SEO firm, lawyer etc. i.e. a middle man they trusted to conduct the deal on their behalf. I only found out after the domain name was transferred who actually ended up with it (the invoice was in the name of, and paid by, the middle man). All completely normal and legit.

So it could cause a certain amount of friction if you insist you need to know who will actually end up owning the domain name before you're able to transfer it...

17. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Because they have to trust me and they don't know me from Adam

18. Sean United Kingdom

Sean Retired Member

So you're saying they've trusted you enough to send payment but they don't trust you to send their name, e-mail and address?

19. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

The point is, they may not trust you enough to send you their client's name, email and address (you need theirs for the invoice, so that's easy).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sean United Kingdom

Sean Retired Member

Edwin, with respect, you're describing edge case here. I transfer between 15 and 30 domains most months and can't remember the last time I had a problem but at the end of the day people do what works best for them. The original discussion was about finding a solution that enabled the registrant to be shown in the whois and we've found one.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  21. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Yeah, it’s a “your mileage may vary” situation. I reckon perhaps one in 7 or 8 of our sales is to an “agent” of the ultimate buyer of some kind. So it’s not a huge number of cases, but it’s common enough I prefer not to add the possible extra friction into the transaction.