Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

VAT on sales to EU

Reaction score
Hi

I am sure someone asked about this before but I can't find the thread.

What is the situation re selling to customers outside of the UK? I managed to get through to HMRC but the lady pointed me to a section on their website and said "I think this is the relevant section but I can't advise you whether you need to charge VAT or not".

This is where I was directed to: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-place-of-supply-of-services-notice-741a#sec6

Thanks

Thanks @diablo

So are domain names classified as goods? The reason I ask is that the HMRC lady said they were service. I don't think fall under either personally.

Replied to PM

Would be interesting to know: if you are in Europe and a Nominet Member, are you charged VAT on names now?

I assume we're all old enough to remember the good old 17.5% days. I'm sick of VAT and Brexit, it's an absolute joke. As usual, benefits nobody unless you're a billionaire.

Would be interesting to know: if you are in Europe and a Nominet Member, are you charged VAT on names now?
I am the exact opposite – based in the UK and charged VAT by the Romanian ccTLD registry

Cross border VAT on domain names seems very complicated. It depends on the place of supply (which depends on the classification of what is being sold) and whether the buyer is a consumer or a business.

@diablo, bear in mind that not all domain purchases are B2B. Obviously any buyer that is VAT registered in their country would be a business and I believe you can also consider a non VAT registered business as a business but in this case should save evidence that they are trading or intend to trade in case the authorities ever ask.

To complicate the situation even further, does anyone have a definitive answer on whether domain registrations are treated differently to aftermarket domains for VAT?

If I sell a domain name from The Netherlands to a company in the UK, the VAT should be 0% right? I'm also VAT registered in The Netherlands.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom