20i Reseller Hosting

What benefits do you get from being a Nominet member and accredited registrar?

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Siusaidh, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

Mathematically, I can see that it would make financial sense for me to become a Nominet member and accredited registrar.

Apart from the registration prices, and ability to vote, what other benefits are there? Do you get any added access to the whois or ability to search by registrar etc? How useful is your own TAG?

I'm just curious to know if you get anything else except cheap domains? Thanks.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. dig bick United Kingdom

dig bick Active Member

You get a Christmas card

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

"Ability to vote" lol

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Katch!

Katch! Active Member Full Member

Do you actually? I'm looking forward to that lol

6. Katch!

I am both a Nominet member (became one finally in June) and have been a channel partner registrar since 2017 and became accredited in 2018. There's plenty of benefits if you are serving clients and have front facing registrar services, along with integration with the API, there's benefits accredited registrars receive that others don't, such as the ability to transfer registrants for free etc. benefits of membership are that you can at least try and make a difference (most people here will disagree that this is possible, because it probably is) but the main benefit, as you say, is being able to register direct with Nominet - avoiding the £80 per domain registration charge!

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

Yeah, I get that the vote thing is putative and conceptual, rather than likely to be world changing. On the Christmas card thing, they wouldn't dare, because it would give offence to non-Christians.

Do you have to have front facing registrar services to get accreditation? I assume not. How easy is it to get accreditation as a registrar? Do I have to come grovelling to some of you guys to write me references or will my priest suffice if he says I am a respectable lady? Are there additional annual costs if you want to be a registrar as well as a Nominet member?

Are there ways of scouring through all the domains that have been registered, without typing names in one by one in the WHOIS? (Okay, the DBCatch bulk whois is brilliantly helpful, but can I get access to the whole data so I can scroll down through it all? Because what I'd find most helpful would be the capacity to search every single registered domain by key word. I'd also find it really helpful to be able to extract every domain that is registered to specific TAGs.

8. bonusmedia United Kingdom

bonusmedia Well-Known Member

+ Cheaper domains
    + Easier management
    + Any registrar problems, missed renewals etc are your own fault :)
    + Invitations to jollies to keep you sweet

No customer facing services required, unless you want to be an accredited channel partner.
    We only have it for our own portfolio.
    Simple to apply, no references etc.

£400 up front and £100 a year.

Incidentally, you do get a Christmas card, and a chocolate advent calendar too. No-one has ever been offended by Christmas, no-one has ever banned Christmas. It's bullshit whipped up by the tabloids, because apparently there are a lot of special snowflakes who are very keen to be offended by the idea of banning Christmas :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Just operate a self-managed tag/membership if you only plan on housing your own domains.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. starbird United Kingdom

starbird Member

This a well time question, to become a registrar I heard a test of sorts was required, is this true. Looking to set up a tag to catch domains, I believe the option in those circumstances is around £1200ish. Looking at the registrar option but not a public registrar simply to get tag etc to use a drop catching solution.

11. Katch!

There’s no test, just a detailed application form.

• Like Like x 1
  12. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

That might just be you. I've certainly never had one.

13. starbird United Kingdom

starbird Member

Appreciate the reply :)

14. DomainAngel

DomainAngel Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Never had a card or calendar and only real benefits other than cheap domains are the option to go to a load of member meet ups at exclusive places and restaurants. Good if you like to waffle and chat about the obvious. You should join.

15. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Don't worry - their christmas cards say 'happy holidays' so as not to offend any snowflakes (except of course people who enjoy being miserable - ironically the people that get offended by a christmas card that says merry christmas).
    The main benefits are: cheap reg, better security, ability to take part in dropcatching.
    Also the costs are low:
    £400 to join (one off fee then £100 per year)
    If you want to dropcatch then another £25 per year for the DAC.
    Certainly nowhere near £1200ish mentioned earlier - at least to nominet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  16. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

You can get a zone file of all .uk domains registered, not sure what that looks like or how easy it is to actually go through

Can also use dac or delayed dac to go through domains easier, doesn't do full whois, just domain, status, dates and tag

I had someone make me a tool using delayed dac so I can do 5000 domains every 24 hours with the basic lookup above

I had to do a test in 2013, maybe they've changed it since; it was quite hard seeing as I know next to nothing about technical stuff

17. Katch!

I wish they let us apply for gTLD registration without having to be an iCANN accredited member, now that shit is expensive.

18. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

Yeah, I'll give ICANN accreditation a miss this year...

19. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

I'm assuming it can be downloaded if you are a member. Does anyone know what format it comes in?

20. othellotech United Kingdom

othellotech Member

You get auditted annually to make sure you comply with the rules etc (assuming you do go for the accredited option)

Plus
    * Invites to events (both Nominet/Domain oriented like the registrar day, and social like the tour of Bletchley park).

* Faster support if you need assistance (although I think I call them about twice a year - so being quicker in the queue is of minimal help)

* Graphics/Artwork/Salesy stuff if they're doing a promo (sometimes)

My opinion is that if you want to "get involved" with Nominet or need direct access to EPP/DAC/etc then it's worthwhile joining.

21. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member