20i Reseller Hosting

2014 Board Election

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by AssetDomains, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AssetDomains

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

I seriously considered it last year, but decided I would be wasting my time on the basis of the controlling vote held by the top 20 odd registrars.

It will take something pretty epic for that control to be broken, though I have to say Nominet are in dire need of a NED that will put smaller registrars needs to the fore.

Trying to work with Nominet in relation to the accredited tag requirements has been a bit like pulling teeth, despite our firm already having most of the necessary components in place.

It's a shame really. Last year I had a very productive couple of chats with Baroness Fritchie and would have been very keen to make a run at it, should it not have been such an obvious waste of time.

4. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Moderator Staff Member

I have considered it in the past, but don't have much in the way of high level board experience.

5. AssetDomains

Do these spots replace the seats elected last year or are they in addition. If they have expanded might be worth you guys applying. If its just a replacement then I guess the Big twenty will get there candidates on the board

6. freddy

freddy Active Member

it is a long way to change something.
    but few years back members of denic have proven that it is possible.
    I have no clue about how nominet works, but change in an old system is usually positive, so I would be glad to see somebody from the forum becoming active.

7. oscaroc

oscaroc Member

"Independent Oversight"

From the IoD website:

Essentially the non-executive director's (NED) role is to provide a creative contribution to the board by providing independent oversight and constructive challenge to the executive directors.

That being the case, i'm interested in Acorners' views on how "independent oversight" can be provided by NEDs drawn from Nominet's membership, and especially from within the ranks of the biggest members, whose financial interests are directly related to decisions made by the Nominet board... I suspect this is merely a cry in the wilderness given that Ed Vaisey believes that self-regulation is working and Ofcom are not interested in regulating Nominet, despite it being the only non-regulated monopoly in the UK!

Since Nominet's Board have a long track record of victimising whistleblowers, offering "misleading" evidence to the judiciary and publishing erroneous and dishonest accounts of court findings casting doubt on their probity, it is surely time that truly independent non-executives become a priority for the company and its members?

8. martin-s United Kingdom

martin-s Well-Known Member

Plenty of mature adults have to put aside their own bias for their role - I don't see a problem with that at all.

9. Hazel Pegg

Hazel Pegg Active Member

Yes. Me. Though I may not be considered as a friend of the domain trading community!

10. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

That is the understatement of the decade. You have been very vocal in your disdain of domainers - more than just about anyone else I can think of...

11. Hazel Pegg

Hazel Pegg Active Member

What you see is what you get :)

I have no hidden agenda.

12. Edwin

And that's what I'm afraid of.

I can respect you for your forthright, honest views - and I do, you certainly "tell it like it is" unlike many people - while simultaneously despairing at how extreme and unhelpful they are for the domain investment industry (it is an industry, whether you like it or not)

13. Hazel Pegg

Hazel Pegg Active Member

It is an industry and I do not like it. But I rather suspect it is an industry that is here to stay. So much as I'd like to eliminate it from reality I am enough of a realist to know that aint gonna happen. Leaving me pondering on how best to accommodate such an industry within the context of 'public benefit'.

14. AssetDomains

With such distain for the industry I'm not sure there's any way for the industries votes to go your way which is a shame as it sounds like you might shake things up if elected.

@Edwin Have you ever considered standing I'm sure you would get plenty of support here at least if it was something that interested you.

15. Edwin

There have been much worse comments than that from Hazel. All you have to do is dig back through past threads a bit (or look on the Nominet forum, if you have access there).

As I said, I respect the forthrightness of her views, but I've yet to come across anyone actively involved in Nominet-related things with a more extreme anti-domainer stance.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  16. Edwin

Quite a few people have asked me that over the years (it's flattering, but also slightly unnerving) but I can't stand politicking, and it looks like being on Nominet's board is nothing but.

17. Hazel Pegg

Hazel Pegg Active Member

Yup. I think I have called domain name traders the Buy-to-Let Landlords of the Internet and suggested that I would support any obstacle put in their way. I'm not a big fan of Estate Agents either :)

18. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Well-Known Member

So why exactly are you here?

19. AssetDomains

It's a shame I'm guessing yourself and a few others who have actively engaged at all the recent events might see less resistance from Nominet itself.

20. Hazel Pegg

Hazel Pegg Active Member

I like to know what others are thinking. Plus I have an enormous amount of respect for Edwin & Stephen for their stance on direct.uk.

21. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

I don't see how someone like you could ever be viewed as a suitable candidate. To be so proud to be 'anti-domainer' highlights that you could never be even-handed, and are quite unsuitable for the role. Sorry, but your very mild platitudes in this thread don't convince anyone of a softening stance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.