Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

3 companies all want to buy a domain at the same price

I think we need to see the actual wording of this email. If it states that it is a 'buy now' price then it's my view that first email back should be first in line to get domain. If WHM posts the email here, or at least the relevant paragraph, then we'd all be a lot better informed. When we used to do this type of marketing some years ago, we'd have a BIN set at sedo and first to click 'buy now' got it.

A poll question answer (in an exceptional case) is a "good way" to decide who you would exclude from future business dealings??

As mentioned earlier, I have noticed that often what people say is not matched by their subsequent actions. I bare that in mind, but I still deal with them.

I wonder what the right answer for the poll question would be.

'Do you think it's acceptable to set a BIN price and then ignore it, to try for more money, if you have more than one buyer at that price?'

That would be a good one. That seems to be essentially what this post is asking. Obviously then we can see who thinks that's acceptable and take that into account when choosing to deal with them or not in future.

My summary of this post would be different.

WHM has seriously underpriced a valuable domain, evident from a queue of willing buyers. If he confirmed acceptance of an offer then I agree that should be binding and the sale completed. This is not the case, and he is asking if there is an acceptable way to revise the BIN. The reason for proposed change is financial gain, but not through deception.

Since none of the buyers know the situation, it seems sensible to give them all an opportunity to buy the domain.

Predominant opinion here says WHM should go with the first response, otherwise he is a charlatan. I think he can auction the name, and retain his integrity. My view is specific to this particular sale, not a general policy.

From the original post:

'I have 3 companies directly saying in a reply they wish to purchase it at the asking price'

So there was a price asked. It was accepted. If someone says to you 'I will take £100 for a domain' and you say 'ok I'll buy it at £100' you don't expect a further acceptance of an offer or them to ask for more. It is a simple transaction - I will accept an amount - I agree to pay you the amount. There really is no way to dress this up. Anyway I haven't got anymore to add - clearly you think this is an acceptable way to behave and I don't. I doubt the OP will lose any sleep over it. He just wants to know how to get more money out of the people who accepted his offer.

Last edited:
From the original post:

'I have 3 companies directly saying in a reply they wish to purchase it at the asking price'

So there was a price asked. It was accepted. If someone says to you 'I will take £100 for a domain' and you say 'ok I'll buy it at £100' you don't expect a further acceptance of an offer or them to ask for more. It is a simple transaction - I will accept an amount - I agree to pay you the amount. There really is no way to dress this up. Anyway I haven't got anymore to add - clearly you think this is an acceptable way to behave and I don't. I doubt the OP will lose any sleep over it. He just wants to know how to get more money out of the people who accepted his offer.

Who is WHM looks like a new user I don’t see the point in this thread...

The typical domainer emotional attachment mistake in thinking - just because I have got more than one interested party = domain worth 10x. I've been here and its the classic way to lose a sale.

They existed and functioned without it for years and can will continue to do so. The sad fact is whatever the offer is now it's probably 10x less than if it had been sold in 2005 along with al the rest of the better domains we're all seeing auctioned at the moment - ouch!

Just as an update for everyone, I decided to go with first come first serve. However, when I replied to the first respondent to take them up on the asking price, they have gotten cold feet over the weekend. In all likelihood now, it's probably going to auction at some point in the next month or so. I know there will be mixed feelings on this but I guess you can't please everyone.

- and when they see it in auction and appreciate their competitors are bidding, they might step back into the game :)

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom