20i Reseller Hosting

3 companies all want to buy a domain at the same price

Discussion in 'Selling Domain Names' started by WHM, May 10, 2019.

1. Nigel United Kingdom

Nigel Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

I think we need to see the actual wording of this email. If it states that it is a 'buy now' price then it's my view that first email back should be first in line to get domain. If WHM posts the email here, or at least the relevant paragraph, then we'd all be a lot better informed. When we used to do this type of marketing some years ago, we'd have a BIN set at sedo and first to click 'buy now' got it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. keys United Kingdom

keys Well-Known Member Full Member

A poll question answer (in an exceptional case) is a "good way" to decide who you would exclude from future business dealings??

As mentioned earlier, I have noticed that often what people say is not matched by their subsequent actions. I bare that in mind, but I still deal with them.

I wonder what the right answer for the poll question would be.

4. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

'Do you think it's acceptable to set a BIN price and then ignore it, to try for more money, if you have more than one buyer at that price?'

That would be a good one. That seems to be essentially what this post is asking. Obviously then we can see who thinks that's acceptable and take that into account when choosing to deal with them or not in future.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. keys United Kingdom

keys Well-Known Member Full Member

My summary of this post would be different.

WHM has seriously underpriced a valuable domain, evident from a queue of willing buyers. If he confirmed acceptance of an offer then I agree that should be binding and the sale completed. This is not the case, and he is asking if there is an acceptable way to revise the BIN. The reason for proposed change is financial gain, but not through deception.

Since none of the buyers know the situation, it seems sensible to give them all an opportunity to buy the domain.

Predominant opinion here says WHM should go with the first response, otherwise he is a charlatan. I think he can auction the name, and retain his integrity. My view is specific to this particular sale, not a general policy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. RobM

RobM Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

From the original post:

'I have 3 companies directly saying in a reply they wish to purchase it at the asking price'

So there was a price asked. It was accepted. If someone says to you 'I will take £100 for a domain' and you say 'ok I'll buy it at £100' you don't expect a further acceptance of an offer or them to ask for more. It is a simple transaction - I will accept an amount - I agree to pay you the amount. There really is no way to dress this up. Anyway I haven't got anymore to add - clearly you think this is an acceptable way to behave and I don't. I doubt the OP will lose any sleep over it. He just wants to know how to get more money out of the people who accepted his offer.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  7. wizard

wizard Well-Known Member

Who is WHM looks like a new user I don’t see the point in this thread...

8. JMI

JMI Active Member Acorn Supporter

The typical domainer emotional attachment mistake in thinking - just because I have got more than one interested party = domain worth 10x. I've been here and its the classic way to lose a sale.

They existed and functioned without it for years and can will continue to do so. The sad fact is whatever the offer is now it's probably 10x less than if it had been sold in 2005 along with al the rest of the better domains we're all seeing auctioned at the moment - ouch!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. WHM United Kingdom

WHM Member

SOLD

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 21, 2019 at 12:50 AM
  10. m4c United Kingdom

m4c Active Member

- and when they see it in auction and appreciate their competitors are bidding, they might step back into the game :)