Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Anyone Developing at the moment?

My thoughts exactly. I think I have found your sites, they look good, one in particular. Cheers.

Haha not the Main couple of sites you havent ;) those are hidden by all kinds of s*** The ones you have found are interest or even other peoples websites.

On a private group happy to share.

does anyone ship from the UK abroad to expats? if so can anyone recommend the best place to look at shipping costs. The items im selling are no more than £5 but i want to target expats around the world. Any advice would be appreciate here or privately.

I use Interlink Express and would massively recommend. Box up to 1 meter, up to 30kg. £11 to most of Europe

Haha not the Main couple of sites you havent ;) those are hidden by all kinds of s*** The ones you have found are interest or even other peoples websites.

Is JD close enough? Don't wish to pry. I couldn't improve or even match the site I saw, never mind with your extra barriers to entry. Tell me if you'd like me to remove this, or if I am a million miles away!

does anyone ship from the UK abroad to expats? if so can anyone recommend the best place to look at shipping costs. The items im selling are no more than £5 but i want to target expats around the world. Any advice would be appreciate here or privately.

I send daily (100+) to Europe using Interlink Express. Prices generally from around £10, though expect to pay more if you are only sending a few items per week. However, if your items are only £5, then encouraging a customer to spend double or triple that on postage might be a tough ask, so you may have to consider normal Royal Mail Airmail, which is actually a fairly reliable service, but can get expensive based on weight, and doesn't allow tracking (their faster trackable/express services are a waste of money).

What sort of price point are you looking at?

See how many of us you can get to sign up :)

When I was a lad, I used to sell sausages and steak pies for a local butcher.
It must nave been the early days of the flavoured sausages and they had quite a choice of flavours. The only ones I remember are tomato and mustard, we didn't have all the new fangled herbs and things in these days.
I used to go out on a Thursday or Friday night, round the houses taking orders, then deliver them and collect the money on the Saturday morning, on one of the old message boy bikes with the small wheel at the front and a metal box to carry the goods. It was in Scotland, so refrigeration wasn't necessary. :)
Now, half a century later, people are still coming up with the same brilliant new idea, in slightly different versions!
Best wishes.
Bruce

1. How often would you expect a delivery, weekly, fortnightly or monthly. Assuming that shipping will add £5 to the price of each delivery.
2. How many sausages (6-8 seems to be the norm) and how many varieties.
3. Based on that, how much would you be prepared to pay for a monthly subscription.

1. Probably monthly
2. I'd want at least 2 of each type per person, so maybe 8 or 12 (2 or 3 varieties) for two people, or twice that for a family of 4.
3. Depends what the sausages are. They need to be interesting and preferably award winning or something.

I get gourmet sausages direct from the farm near me, sometimes at their shop, sometimes at the farmer's market. They're normally around £3-4 for 8.

If we're doing market research, here's the three questions we've been considering

1. How often would you expect a delivery, weekly, fortnightly or monthly. Assuming that shipping will add £5 to the price of each delivery.
2. How many sausages (6-8 seems to be the norm) and how many varieties.

Not wanting to weight the responses but we decided that 4 varieties, eight sausages, delivered monthly as a norm.

3. Based on that, how much would you be prepared to pay for a monthly subscription.

Won't you run into food hygiene problems if you mix sausages from different suppliers? Or are you thinking they would supply you with packs of 2, or mixed flavour packs?

To answer your questions though. 1. A monthly treat. 2. Eight would do it. 3. Top end for a "spoil myself" subscription would probably be a tenner, for 8 sausages. £5 delivery would put me off.

There is a value comparison though. Six good bangers in Waitrose or Tesco are up to around £3.50 to £4.00.

If you are good at development, why not run something that is purely internet based, e.g. an advertising service, rather than have the headache and complications of delivering sausages?

Rgds

Not bad idea, altho it'd be interesting to know how many would be prepared to pay a premium for the delivery/packaging/profit you'd need to make it viable.

Users may just think...if I fancy bangers i'll just go to local supermarket and buy from their large selection or go to a local butcher and support local businesses, not knocking the idea though sure they'll be a decent amount who would it's just how you'd find them and if there is enough profit after additional costs.

Thanks Bruce, shall we put you down as the north of Scotland distributor ;)

Yes, please, I'll get my bike ready!

On the subject of the product, it is getting very difficult to compete with Lidl and Aldi on quality these days.
Lidl's chipolatas are excellent.
I think you would have serious problems keeping up with hygiene and refrigeration.
Even if you can get a refrigerated delivery, what if the customer is out?
I sent some food items to my daughter in Manchester, not requiring refrigeration, by the time Royal Mail managed to deliver it, it was only fit for the bin.

I like the sound of the idea I'm not sure if its something I'd buy at the moment.

Logistically it definitely possible to get stuff delivered frozen when I was in Uni we had certain antibiotics and other reagents delivered on ice all the time.

I'm not sure what sort of a premium there was for this although it wasn't a special van most the time it was the regular courier and the stuff came surrounded by ice in insulated polystyrene boxes.

@Sean - You are serious about starting a sausage delivery business??? There's not a lot of money in it, massive competition, huge logistical difficulties, food handling issues and regulation. Why this??

If it was Dragons Den I would be out very quickly indeed. Sorry.

Why not think about starting locally first and rolling it out gradually elsewhere according to demand? Deliver them yourself at first then once you get enough demand from a neighbouring area pay a van owner £X per delivery and so on.

Facebook will be your friend, there are lots of food delivery services on there and the good ones are very popular.

There's so many ways to do this. Speaking of price, a kind member of this forum sent me some links, one of which is to a company that sells 5kg (60) sausage boxes for £55 a month!

I've seen that site myself so obviously people are willing to pay it. Think about the popularity of farmers markets, the foods on them are often significantly dearer than even premium supermarket brands but they're way ahead on quality and taste.

If Sean does do this, then his best bet is to free himself up and focus on the business strategy and get someone else to build the kind of site he needs imho.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom