Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Beware Brexit and .EU domains

Discussion in 'General Board' started by aZooZa, Mar 30, 2018.

1. bonusmedia

bonusmedia Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. bonusmedia

4. RobM

RobM Retired Member

Not if it's presented in an intelligent and sensible manner.
    However you said 'swarm is a dehumanising term that refers to insects, as used by Hitler to dehumanise the Jews before the holocaust.'
    Hitler was not mentioned until you did. His atrocities were not mentioned until you did. The word was not vaguely used in this way, and the more intelligent of us spotted that, but you seemed to (deliberately) misunderstand to then virtue signal moral outrage by insinuating that is what was meant. Despicable in my book as you're clearly trying to promote an agenda by discrediting people then when called out on it pretending that is not at all what you meant.
    Anyway enough of this - you're not fooling anyone - back on to ignore with you.

5. bonusmedia

6. Sean United Kingdom

Sean Retired Member

You lack empathy and you have the tone of a bigot.

What has happened to those from your "deprived de-industrialised Northern town" who don't have "critical thinking skills and business nous"? The ones that rely on low skilled, manual jobs, the type of jobs that have been lost to EU nationals thanks to the free movement of people? You can't blame someone for wanting to come to this country to better themselves but how does a low skilled worker from the UK compete with someone that will work for minimum wage (or less) and live 20+ to a house so they can send money back to their family.

History tells us how this ends.

7. bonusmedia

Attached Files:

8. bonusmedia

9. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

Bully for you. What do you mean by painted ? It's not language I use, I am not an idealist. I tend to make the best of the situation and just go along with the majority wishes.

10. websaway United Kingdom

You are too deep into this and it can only serve to poison your mind. If remain had won I would not have given the referendum a second thought, even though I think it's in Britains interest to leave the organisation that was heading in a dubious direction. I would have carried on regardless. I suggest you have a cause that is not your fight. The EU will probably be the area that produces the situations you fear most. UK law and history of tolerance will ensure your negative assumptions of the future do not come to fruition. You misinterpreted Swarm I suspect you misinterpret racism equally.

11. websaway United Kingdom

12. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Wasn't Israel established after WW2?

h[​IMG]

13. bonusmedia

14. bonusmedia

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. websaway United Kingdom

We have established the meaning of MOB and I don't wish to be associated with such a definition just because I am a leaver. If I agree with the Leave.EU tweet, and leave.eu are a legal organisation, then that's my prerogative. The movement that uses minorities to promote their cause to stop free speech are the culprits and you unwittingly follow their methods.

16. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

Interestingly, TaylorWessing (big international lawfirm) gave this advice on domains in 2017, shortly before Article 50 was triggered...

https://united-kingdom.taylorwessin...-key-brand-protection-q-as.pdf/show_on_screen

(The rest of their publication covers trademarks, design marks and other IP issues.)

That tallies with what I was saying earlier i.e. this was very much an existing, known problem, for those keeping a close eye on such things. The EU's fault is in using too-blunt language in its "Notice to stakeholders" document on the matter. But they didn't suddenly come up with the rule itself behind the issue.

17. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

And here's a memo submitted to a Parliamentary Select Committee (the "European Scrutiny Committee") on the issue back on 17 January 2018. It shows the UK government was fully appraised of the possibility of this happening, but extremely relaxed about it, as can be seen from their response (well worth reading the whole thing).

It also attempts to shift blame before the fact onto "stakeholders" (presumably, UK based .eu domain owners) for not having kicked up enough of a stink about the issue.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmeuleg/301-x/30106.htm

It does not appear the Government responded to the Select Committee's request to prepare follow-up material before the 28 February 2018 (or if they did, that material isn't in the public record).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  18. bonusmedia

19. websaway United Kingdom

Not sure if this will help.
    I believe that anyone who has British citizenship should have the same rights that I have, no more, no less. Therefore I believe we should exercise strictly controlled immigration. You can not have uncontrolled immigration and enjoy the benefits of a welfare state.

When economic migrants swarm across borders seeking better lives, that's exactly what they do, they swarm across borders. They are not animals, if they were it would not be a problem.

Oxford English Dictionary quote
    1.2a swarm/swarms of A large number of people or things.
    ‘a swarm of journalists’

20. Coolbreeze United States

Coolbreeze Active Member

Hi Sean, I agree with most of your points, Proud Brexit voter here BUT I don’t think Low skilled British Jobs are being lost because of EU nationals, there are some downsides but in numbers terms not hugely significant. EU nationals account for about 6% of the population with rougly about 2% low skilled and Native born brits are close to 90 percent.. so 2% of the popution causing all these Job losses? Employment is at a record low and our parliament sets the minimum wage, If low wages was the sole issue the goverment could simply double the minimum wage, Natives are just not interested in some of these Jobs plus we have lost many Great industries due to technology this cannot be the fault of the EU nationals. Also looking at the treaty it would seem some restrictions could have been placed on EU nationals on free movement anyway i.e You had to have a Job offer in a member state to stay..

My friend’s family runs a huge Sandwich factory in London paying £9.50 upwards and they get several applications through the year hundreds and almost ‘zero’ natives apply..I think people in this country just want a better opportunity we don’t really want to grow up to be fruit pickers or sandwich makers we want decent paying jobs with better wages I think we have to be abit balanced in our views.

In any event, this is Just my opinion

Enjoy your Easter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  21. JMI

JMI Active Member

It's ok for you guys, I only got an E in GCSE maths.