Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.com or .co.uk/.uk for UK Ecom Site?

Discussion in 'General Board' started by Marcoose, Apr 19, 2017.

?

What would you use?

1. .com

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. .co.uk

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. .uk

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Marcoose

Marcoose Well-Known Member

I've been a gambling affiliate for a long time but going forward, will be focusing on developing e-commerce brands. I've never, ever run a product site so have lots to learn! Any advice in that department is appreciated.

My main question is, considering the possibility of the UK splitting up, does it make sense to go .com on day one? 301 is obvs an option in the event of that happening but I'd rather just go .com, all else being equal. Is there any research on whether .com over .co.uk effects CTR or conversions in the Uk market? What are your thoughts, generally?

2. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

Personally if the option is there and you can protect the brand by capturing uk domains and the .com, Id use the .com and redirect the .UK's as it gives you more scope to sell beyond the UK.

If there wasn't a hope in hell that you'd be going international or even European then id be tempted to use the .uk but only if I was 100% sure that the UK was my sole target market both now and in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Marcoose

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought about international trade, but yes, I suppose it might be an option.

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Research has shown CTR higher for ..uk / .co.uk domains in the UK market

Ranking benefits of using a .co.uk / .uk over .com on google.co.uk (unless you set the geo targeting to UK in google search console for the .com)

5. Marcoose

Yup the latter would be a given if using .com. do you have any links showing the research? I've had a look myself but couldn't see much.

6. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Marcus, if you want any help with the principles behind selling products online, drop me a message, been there, done that (still do).

I operate from the .co.uk, as the UK market was the focus back when I launched it, even though I also have all the major extensions, .com, .net etc. Most orders now come from Europe, but have remained with the .co.uk solely because it is established. If starting again, I'd go with the .com if you can get it for a reasonable amount, but would have no hesitation in using .co.uk again if not.

7. Marcoose

Cheers Ian.