Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Corona please read very important

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by dougs, Mar 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Well-Known Member

Underlying health conditions is a wide umbrella term. It extends beyond the million or so people who are being shielded. Probably 25-30% of the population has an underlying condition, ranging from asthma to high blood pressure. The 90% implicit in the 'underlying' category are not people who would have died anyway. Almost all of us must have loved ones in this category, and indeed it almost certainly includes several people who post here.

Even when in due course healthier and younger groups are released from lockdown, there will still be no obvious exit strategy for millions of people (not just those being 'shielded') who will be dangerously vulnerable to the virus and will be advised to remain isolated. At this stage, unless effective anti-virals can be developed, vaccination may be the only escape route for many of these people. Of course, at this stage it is too early to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

This stands to reason as if someone has health issues, they're less able to fend off various illnesses. I have a couple of relatives with COPD and as depressing a thought as it is, I don't like their chances if they get this. It's worth noting that 'underlying illness' also included things like diabetes too, so it's quite a broad definition.

I notice that heart issues are also a real red flag. This would make sense as some of the latest studies imply that covid-19 can damage the heart (so if someone already has heart issues that's a real problem). I fear that a depressing aspect of the current time that we're not even factoring in yet, is that a certain percentage of people who 'recover' from covid-19 possibly have lasting damage to the lungs and other organs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

In terms of the adult population, it will be considerably higher. 31% of UK adults are clinically obese for starters.

4. starbird United Kingdom

starbird Active Member

I'd recommend looking into immune boosting supplements as well as a healthy diet and exercise. Pharma won't do research on natural products like Chaga mushrooms etc (no money in it for them) but on the limited clinical trials done they show some potent immune boosting potential https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1160565/

I take Chaga and feel better for it. Of course do your own research if this interests you. If you take Vit C try and avoid the ascorbic acid variety and get the AMLA version. More expensive but higher quality and natural. There are a range of vitamins you need take to take in order to get the benefits of other vitamins e.g K2 helps if you're taking D3 etc.

5. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

I have to think that there may be genetic aspects to why some people are affected terribly by covid-19 and others just breeze through it, or don't even know they have it. That said, I do agree that it makes sense to try to boost your immune system and have a level of fitness. Losing weight where someone is obese, not smoking, and definitely things like as you say Vitamin D3 as a deficiency is seriously common.

• Like Like x 1
  6. deluxedomains

deluxedomains Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. LCHappy United Kingdom

LCHappy Active Member

8. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Vitamin C is ascorbic acid.

Amla is a fruit which is rich in Vitamin C, but also many other micronutrients. I take it daily in powder form.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  9. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

US jobless claims now exceed 21 million - and the self-employed and gig workers cannot claim.

upload_2020-4-16_14-43-18.png

10. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member

FYI, Dominic Raab just announced in this evening's daily press briefing that the lockdown will continue for at least another 3 weeks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. LCHappy United Kingdom

LCHappy Active Member

Barking mad, good luck putting the economy back together after this one.

• Like Like x 1
  12. keys United Kingdom

keys Well-Known Member

Another enlightening 42 minutes from Professor Kim,

• Like Like x 1
  13. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

Realistically they were never going to lift the restrictions until the numbers started coming down. I think they're on the verge of that though and so can see some kind of phased return to normality starting some time in May. It'll be gradual. You're right that the economy of course matters, but lifting restrictions early could cause a spike in cases, which would lead to massive numbers of people not going out anyway, so you end up back at the same place. I think the reality is that we're craving an easy way out of a situation where one doesn't exist.

Maybe if we'd conducted massive amounts of ongoing testing South Korea and Germany style, we;d be on a different trajectory. We didn't do that though unfortunately. That's understandable to an extent as this is a new situation, though I do see what has happened with care homes are rather shameful, as there was a sad inevitability to the challenges they were going to face.

14. LCHappy United Kingdom

LCHappy Active Member

I'm lost on the strategy then, it seems that it has changed. The original strategy was to let the virus run at around 80% (or whatever number it was) of the capacity what the NHS could treat. We all agreed it was going through this country whether we liked it or not. The genie was out of the bottle.

Now, the Nightingale hospitals are empty, the NHS has 5000 empty icu beds or something stupid, the infection rates are dropping and we are still killing the economy. Something just isn't right here.

We should be reopening things but keeping the social distancing, keep locking down the vulnerable, wear face masks in public so limit the spread.

Now we seem to be back to the same thinking we had in January in that we could contain it. It's very very odd and no longer adds up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

It may be the case that the second wave will be worse than the first, and that then is when the extra capacity will come into play. I do appreciate the point that a balance has to come into play though as unquestionably some countries have dealt with this better than others. If testing can be ramped up and wearing masks in public mandatory I can see measures like that being as effective or approaching it as the current measures and less damaging to the economy. It's a difficult needle to thread as it doesn't appear that we were very prepared for what we're facing.

16. LCHappy United Kingdom

LCHappy Active Member

As I understood it, the only way to avoid another wave was to allow the curve to be flat. The only way the curve can be flat is if it is done at a relatively high level.

I don't know what the plan is now. If they continue to try and keep it out, we will be on lock down until a vaccine comes. Is that the new plan, I think it is now? I ain't putting one in my arm though, I'll take my chances with the virus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I think another wave/increase is almost inevitable, however logically it will be less pronounced than it otherwise would've been without the lockdown, and we wouldn't have had the aforementioned additional capacity in place.

So much is still unknown, but even in lockdown the virus seems to have spread reasonably far and wide, and so i think a level of herd immunity will eventually happen at some point once things open up. As for a vaccine, I can understand people being wary of something new (if it's ever made available to begin with!), so it might be the matter of weighing up the pros and cons. Perhaps like the flu jab the vulnerable and elderly will be the focus of such efforts.

18. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

They better start pumping out some cash real quick if that's the case otherwise there will be some families with no money for food and we will start seeing riots

I don't think they can keep us all in for much beyond another 3 weeks, people are fed up, we will see higher rates of non-compliance

Maybe it will be released to a partial lockdown in 3 weeks, which will be like a full lockdown just with a new name lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. donton United Kingdom

donton Active Member

People keep telling me it’ll bounce back. The problem is, how do you bounce back when you’ve torched at least 30% of GDP? Obviously it’ll “bounce” a little bit but I think it’s going to take years (10+) to come back properly.

I saw a sad report on the news a while back about a man who fell off a train platform. He ended up wedged between a train and the platform, if they moved the train his organs spilled out and... you know the rest. So they rushed his loved ones down to say goodbye before they moved the train.

Right now the economy is between a train and a platform.

When “lockdown” is lifted and half the businesses that shuttered three weeks ago don’t reopen, that’s when the penny will drop for many people, our government included.

When people are allowed out again, do you think they’ll pop down to the local BMW garage to buy a new car? Or to the local jewellers? Or even the local estate agents? Will they heck. People will be tightening their belts so hard they’ll turn into sausages.

I hope I’m wrong but I have a terrible feeling about this... what’s coming next isn’t a recession, it’s a depression we haven’t seen the likes of for generations.

I’m not saying I have the answers because I don’t, and I’m not saying it’s been handled good or bad by government because I’m not qualified to judge that. But I think we might regret the extent to which the economy is trashed. And I think we’ll be surprised at just how delayed government were in recognising how severely distressed many, many companies are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. keys United Kingdom

keys Well-Known Member

Consumer confidence will be shaken to a magnitude beyond the past boundaries of fiction. As usual, the poor will suffer most, and the majority of humans on the planet will be very adversely affected.

A report calculates that many billionaires see their wealth diminishing at a rate of $200m per day. Perhaps no surprise that six Chinese billionaires have recently joined the top 100 league.

Luxury homes, goods and travel will need a substantial adjustment between supply and demand, for some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.