Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Deleting domains

Status
Not open for further replies.
FC Domains said:
Why should it matter why I registered them, so long as I pay for them?

We offer the chance for people to correct errors for free. Are you really saying that we should not do that and that every registration should be invoiced no matter what?

Jay Daley said:
Because you can use a lot of our system resources up without paying for it.

I would be interested to know what is considered "a lot" of system resources.

Jay Daley said:
We offer the chance for people to correct errors for free. Are you really saying that we should not do that and that every registration should be invoiced no matter what?

No. I'm saying that you are setting a limit of 5 (or 5%) which seems fair enough. After which you will be charged for every registration, even if you delete it.
Which is what the original message said.

Why does it need the additional threats? (For the third time of asking.)

Jay Daley said:

Same with DRS's , I could start at aaa.co.uk and work my way through a list of domains.

That would be free and there are no rules to stop it :)

Likewise LIST commands probably use more resources but I do not believe they are limited (if they are it will be out of the daily 1000 I guess).

If names are to become registered, and in the context of the 5 million names already registered with Nominet, there will increasingly need to be an incentive, an inducement, or else the rate at which names are registered will eventually slow to a trickle. The potential of a name needs to be assessed in some way. What about a quota? Each tag holder gets a fixed quota of names they can 'register' but throw back if the numbers don't add up? Nominet could factor that capacity into their system without too much difficulty, no?

argonaut said:
If names are to become registered, and in the context of the 5 million names already registered with Nominet, there will increasingly need to be an incentive, an inducement, or else the rate at which names are registered will eventually slow to a trickle. The potential of a name needs to be assessed in some way. What about a quota? Each tag holder gets a fixed quota of names they can 'register' but throw back if the numbers don't add up? Nominet could factor that capacity into their system without too much difficulty, no?

I don't think people can say it any clearer, pay for what you buy, NO TASTING!

argonaut said:
The potential of a name needs to be assessed in some way.

Ordinary registrants do not need to assess the potential of a domain name, they usually just want to register it and use it for their own personal or business purposes.

Whilst I can understand that the new rule may be deemed unfair by those involved in "tasting", the majority (who are not involved in this business practice) may well regard it as completely fair.

Nominet's role is to apply its rules equally to all concerned and that means ensuring they are fair to all concerned. As far as I can see, that's all Nominet is doing in this instance.

Regards
James Conaghan

LeeOwen said:
I don't think people can say it any clearer, pay for what you buy, NO TASTING!

"...pay for what you buy..." isn't quite the same issue as taste before you buy.

I'll go to the deli counter at Sainsburys and have a taster of something new before buying, and that makes sense for Sainsburys too. It's called looking after your regular customers. If I buy I pay. Can I be any clearer?

argonaut said:
"...pay for what you buy..." isn't quite the same issue as taste before you buy.

I'll go to the deli counter at Sainsburys and have a taster of something new before buying, and that makes sense for Sainsburys too. It's called looking after your regular customers. If I buy I pay. Can I be any clearer?

Taste some sausage. Think about how much you like that sausage. Decide for a couple of weeks if you are going to buy that sausage.

Dont worry about all the people behind you in the queue that cant buy sausage until your decide if you want it or not.

Sausage becomes available after 99 days. If you dont know if you want it during that time period then you shouldnt be allowed in the supermarket.

The new rules assume that people will not be 'tasting' names, what if the tasting still goes on and the people just accept higher costs?

The people in the queue will not be able to have the sausage for 2 years... by that time it might be a tad mouldy ;)

Fair enough saying "domain tasting is not desirable" but to make shoddy excuses saying it uses up too many resources or that it is to enable other people to have a chance to register a domain is just wrong.

argonaut said:

I'll go to the deli counter at Sainsburys and have a taster of something new before buying,

Yes, but you can't spit it back once you've tasted it. :-D

argonaut said:
and that makes sense for Sainsburys too. It's called looking after your regular customers. If I buy I pay. Can I be any clearer?

If 100% of registrants had the same opportunity as you to "taste" domain names, I'd say you had a point but as Jay said earlier, the practice of tasting means you are using a lot more resources than the average tag holder or registrant and you are not paying for the extras; you are cancelling/deleting the names you want to spit back before the 30 days are up. If Nominet continued to allow this practice they would not be looking after their regular customers at all, they would only be looking after a handful of tag holders. Whilst some may argue this is just 'A N Other' domain name taster employing entrepreunerial flair to his/her own advantage, what it actually does is disadvantage every other tag holder and registrant who does not manipulate the system with the intention of never paying for the tasting. I don't understand why you seem to think that intentionally misusing the automaton is actually okay?

Regards
James Conaghan

argonaut said:

So the upper class can taste but the working class can't? We've been here before Maggie and yes you Blair. :mrgreen:

rob said:
The new rules assume that people will not be 'tasting' names, what if the tasting still goes on and the people just accept higher costs?

The people in the queue will not be able to have the sausage for 2 years... by that time it might be a tad mouldy ;)

Fair enough saying "domain tasting is not desirable" but to make shoddy excuses saying it uses up too many resources or that it is to enable other people to have a chance to register a domain is just wrong.

I make you right, no excuses but if you want the domain for two years then keep it, if you don't then don't reg it.

The thing some of us are concerned about is the overly aggressive stance they are taking coupled with the poor definition of "mistake"

I think its great that they are clamping down on tasting and reducing the delete ration from 20%/10% to 5% should prevent most of it happening.

However the definition of the term "mistake" is concerning.

If I see a domain that I think "oh Mr Blogs might like that" and register it, only to find out he doesn't want it is that a mistake ?

What if a customer changes his mind, I didn’t make a mistake registering it, how will Nominet interpret that.

Or are we just talking spelling mistakes here.

If Nominet fully intend to be reasonable about this then why not word it more carefully and less aggressive.

firestars said:
Taste some sausage. Think about how much you like that sausage. Decide for a couple of weeks if you are going to buy that sausage.

Dont worry about all the people behind you in the queue that cant buy sausage until your decide if you want it or not.

Sausage becomes available after 99 days. If you dont know if you want it during that time period then you shouldnt be allowed in the supermarket.

What people? What queue? I'm talking about names that have been available 'forever' and yet have had no takers whatsoever. The moment I think about taking a nibble and suddenly everyone is gagging for that same name? I don't think so. Anyway, I don't eat meat.

Jay Daley said:

Thanks for your post Jay, I appreciate the reply back.

rob said:

That is probably what is going to happen Rob.

argonaut said:
What people? What queue? I'm talking about names that have been available 'forever' and yet have had no takers whatsoever. The moment I think about taking a nibble and suddenly everyone is gagging for that same name? I don't think so. Anyway, I don't eat meat.

I base my comments on dropcatchers only regging domains that drop.

I'm not sure we are all talking about the same thing here, so I'm going to try and make sure we are all on the same page.

The process is

1. You register a name

2. It is not invoiced until the 8th of the next month.

3. Until then you can delete it for free.

4. After invoice you can still delete it, but you will still have to pay for it.

5. Once the domain is paid for, only the registrant can delete it by going through our surrender process.

Now what some people are doing is

a. register name

b. put on PPC site

c. monitor revenue and if it does not look like it will make enough then cancel before 8th of next month.

and it is that which we are saying is an abuse of our systems. In .com around 98% of all reigstrations are just tasted in this way. If this really took off here then it could mean a massive increase in load on our Automaton, with only the smallest revenue increase (those that were not deleted).

PaulX said:
However the definition of the term "mistake" is concerning.

If I see a domain that I think "oh Mr Blogs might like that" and register it, only to find out he doesn't want it is that a mistake ?

What if a customer changes his mind, I didn’t make a mistake registering it, how will Nominet interpret that.

None of those are mistakes. They are business risks that you have taken.

PaulX said:
Or are we just talking spelling mistakes here.

That sounds like a mistake.

PaulX said:
If Nominet fully intend to be reasonable about this then why not word it more carefully and less aggressive.

Being firm can be seen by some as aggressive, but not by others. This is a practice that has started in .uk and we need to stop it in an unambiguous fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom