20i Reseller Hosting

EMDs and selling to a competitor

Discussion in 'Domain Name Disputes' started by twostepsbehind, May 27, 2020.

1. twostepsbehind United Kingdom

twostepsbehind Active Member Acorn Supporter

Hi,

I have a decent EMD .uk and I’ve been planning something for it for a few months now not paying much attention

Just realised a proper website from a large corporate is on the .co.uk

What would be the best route here? Carry on with my development or approach .co.uk for a sale?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. twostepsbehind United Kingdom

twostepsbehind Active Member Acorn Supporter

Also, the .co.uk charges over £1k per listing so it could be quite lucrative going it alone...

4. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Moderator Staff Member

Personally I would develop the website/domain which (a) may increase its value (b) demonstrates that your use of the name is bona fide.

If the .co.uk holders want it badly enough to pay for it, they may approach you. My feeling is that by specifically approaching them to sell it, you might give them grounds for alleging you only bought it to exploit their already-registered name and business.

You could even go one step further, and place a statement on your homepage making clear that you have no connections with that company, to further demonstrate that you are not trying to mislead customers and divert traffic to your own site.

General advice may not apply in all circumstances, but I've always tried to demonstrate bona fide usage when I had a name that overlapped with another entity's organisation or group.

See what other people think. These are just my own thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SecNam

SecNam Moderator Staff Member

unless they have a TM on the products they sell or the domain is unique to them IE; joeblogsspecialwidgets.co.uk i would develop it.

I would not approach them as they will say you registered it in bad faith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1