Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

How long do you have to wait before selling/transferring a domain?

Discussion in 'New Domainers' started by Victor Avram, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Victor Avram United Kingdom

Victor Avram Member

Hiya,

Sorry for such a stupid question however, I've never understood how this works.
    I know GoDaddy's policy is to wait 60 days before transferring a newly registered domain, but if I go to Nominet's website, it says something about a 10 pounds transfer cost. Can that be made without waiting for those 60 days to elapse?

Also, those 60 days applies to a drop/auction won website?

Thanks

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. ian

ian Well-Known Member

The 60 days doesn't apply to using the Nom service directly; only using the registrars own portals. (as far as I know).

• Like Like x 1
  4. keys United Kingdom

keys Well-Known Member

There are no time restrictions for transfer of .uk domains. Transfers cost £10, and in some cases they are free.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Victor Avram United Kingdom

Victor Avram Member

Ok, so using the registrar's transfer service is free if you do it after the 60 days, and Nominet's 10 pounds transfer can be done straight away. That's good to know, thank you Ian and keys!

6. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member

Yes, any .co.uk domain can be transferred through Nominet for £10 which will bypass any 60 day locks including Godaddy. Done so many times in the past.

7. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Sure this has been asked before, but how 'legal' is it that registrars such as GoDaddy/Fasthosts and more can prevent moving a domain away within 60 days of registration/expiry/renewal?