Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Ideas why Domains Wanted Section is so slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello - I am beginning to get really really bored with the domains wanted section of this forum ....it is so slow it is like watching paint dry! I have used this forum on and off for many years and I don't recall it being this slow in the past. That said my heavy focus on domains is far more recent so maybe I didn't take so much notice before.

I would however be really interested to hear other peoples take on this

a) has it always been this slow?
b) If not when did it slow down?
c) why do you think it is so slow?
d) Do you think it is just domainers posting wanted ads here as opposed to requests from third parties?
e) How can it be speeded up ?

All comments/ ideas will be read with interest - Thank you

I don't bother responding to wanted ads anymore - probably sold 5 domains that way over several years. I don't think too much business has ever happened in that forum, although others might have different views.

Stephen.

People don't always reply or even update their wanted threads. I know this is hard sometimes to reply via PM (especially if inundated with tat), but at least edit the original thread if domain found/no longer needed.

There are threads in there which the OP has started yonks ago and then never updates, etc, daft really.

I don't bother responding to wanted ads anymore - probably sold 5 domains that way over several years. I don't think too much business has ever happened in that forum, although others might have different views.

Stephen.

That's interesting and I would be keen to hear if others think the same. What would you say are the best forums to do business on, on this board if you are not looking to sell domains for silly money then. I realise that could be a contradiction in terms as to get the real good prices I appreciate it is end user sales all the way but I know Acorn is well used and people must sell some domains for reasonable prices on here (although I am beginning to wonder!).

People don't always reply or even update their wanted threads. I know this is hard sometimes to reply via PM (especially if inundated with tat), but at least edit the original thread if domain found/no longer needed.

There are threads in there which the OP has started yonks ago and then never updates, etc, daft really.

Yes - I remember seeing a gambling one that went on for eons and it was clear that the OP was not even responding - very annoying

That's interesting and I would be keen to hear if others think the same. What would you say are the best forums to do business on, on this board if you are not looking to sell domains for silly money then. I realise that could be a contradiction in terms as to get the real good prices I appreciate it is end user sales all the way but I know Acorn is well used and people must sell some domains for reasonable prices on here (although I am beginning to wonder!).

You could also use the other domain forums about too if not a member? :)

********************* for instance.

You could also use the other domain forums about too if not a member? :)

********************* for instance.

Oh, censored. :!: Why bother, it's only a uk domain forum?

If you find where those other places to sell domains are then let me know. For every hundred domains listed on Acorn probably less than one is sold.

Stephen.

I view it this way.
If someone has a domain they wish to sell and the domain fits the criteria of a wanted ad then there is absolutely nothing to lose by submitting the domain. The frastrations that follow for the potential seller are not ideal but that's part of the domain game.

For every hundred domains listed on Acorn probably less than one is sold.

Stephen.

Interesting stat. I wonder if it's that much actually? Any number crunchers fancy doing a statistical wotsit? :)

There are also some that I know have started literally dozens of wanted threads and yet still have zero domain trader ratings.

Interesting stat. I wonder if it's that much actually? Any number crunchers fancy doing a statistical wotsit? :)

Lately it seems to be the way. That being said I post names on most domain forums but I've only ever made sales here on acorn maybe because most are aimed at the UK market or could just be because everyone else thinks my domains are crap

Crap names
Crap prices
Crap people

One, two or all three to blame.

It just seems bizarre to me that there are such a limited number of wanted ads - it essentially means I think that a very limited number of end users use this forum and that domainers are not looking to buy for reasonable prices at all - or am I wrong ? I might be

Personally aside from the USA forums I don't know of other places to find wanted adds or buy and sell domains and I just don't understand it because the business community etc must be in need of good domains so this bit is all a tad confusing as I thought you would see more activity on Acorn

Crap names
Crap prices
Crap people

One, two or all three to blame.

Think that is a bit harsh Rob.

I simply think that the market has worked differently to how we expected it might and how it does for .com and .de

I think end-users simply register a new name rather than try to obtain something on the secondary market. That could be for a host of reasons, e.g. low opinion of domainers, ignorance etc.. But I think many like me expected at some point that the secondary market would start to grow (outside of the very best names which will all know is a different market). That is what drove reseller sales on here but the reality is (at least from my experience and what I see on here) is that the secondary market for non-premium domains is practically non-existant at the moment and I would say that I have less interest from end-users now than I ever did.

Stephen.

It is boring when people keeping starting a thread and then abandoning it, you could think it's all newbies but I have PM'd established members and got no response, damn right rude :twisted:

Think that is a bit harsh Rob.

I simply think that the market has worked differently to how we expected it might and how it does for .com and .de

I think end-users simply register a new name rather than try to obtain something on the secondary market. That could be for a host of reasons, e.g. low opinion of domainers, ignorance etc.. But I think many like me expected at some point that the secondary market would start to grow (outside of the very best names which will all know is a different market). That is what drove reseller sales on here but the reality is (at least from my experience and what I see on here) is that the secondary market for non-premium domains is practically non-existant at the moment and I would say that I have less interest from end-users now than I ever did.

Stephen.

I think it could be really simple why this is. I just don't think enough of them know about it! It is all very well and good that we all know about the secondary market and where to go etc but I honestly do not think the bulk of businesses or marketing departments do know the options and due to lack of time they don't look into and end up just buying new names etc or maybe some might know enough to go to Sedo. Also I think you are right that "domainers" have been tarred and somehow have a "squatter" name and this may put people off

It still surprises me though just how little action goes on in the wanted ad section here considering how well established the site is

What do you class as a premium domain by the way? because there does not even appear to be much call for those

It just seems bizarre to me that there are such a limited number of wanted ads - it essentially means I think that a very limited number of end users use this forum and that domainers are not looking to buy for reasonable prices at all - or am I wrong ? I might be

Personally aside from the USA forums I don't know of other places to find wanted adds or buy and sell domains and I just don't understand it because the business community etc must be in need of good domains so this bit is all a tad confusing as I thought you would see more activity on Acorn

No you are Bang On
Of course not enough end users use this forum.

Bur domainers will buy at reasonable prices only the good domains they are interested in can be sold to end users at end user prices. There are not enough good domains to satisfy demand, that's why good domains have high price tags.
So what your mostly left with are lots of unwanted domains being listed and not many people wanting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom