20i Domains

Nominet announces new policy consultation for expiring .UK domains

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Acorn Newsbot, Jul 16, 2020.

1. gregfindley

gregfindley Well-Known Member

The idea of Nominet auctions to improve uptake of expired domains is a bit optimistic, they’re just potentially moving a large section of the aftermarket to take a piece of the pie - the uptake of domains and “vibrancy” of the namespace won’t change a great deal in my opinion - those with the deepest pockets will still be able to acquire names via auction as they do now - the only difference will be Nominet making extra £, rather than a whole host of small registrars who have built up businesses on the current ecosystem over the past couple of decades.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

That sounds fair... my only issue with Nominet taking a piece of the pie is they wouldn't be going far enough.

They should eat the entire pie.

4. gregfindley

What sounds fair?

5. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

Nominet taking most or all of the money. I don't see what value add Denis and his "tag partner" brought to the table on Helptobuy.org.uk to collect £20,000 each, do you?

6. gregfindley

You would think they could apply some of their state of the art cyber security to address such challenges.

https://www.nominet.uk/cyber-security/

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gregfindley

How about all the countless hours spent working on scripts and servers over decades - investing time and money with no guarantee of returns?

I would prefer small businesses and the aftermarket to gain value from such investment, than Nominet deriving more purposes for profits.

What’s your involvement with domains, Derek?

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

I didn't ask what work they'd put in, I'm not disputing that that could be significant in both man hours and £££. I'm asking what value add they're bringing to anyone at all. An end user won't have any real concern whether they pay £40,000 to Nominet for a domain, or whether they pay it to a domain catcher. Why would Nominet want to allow the latter though? They'd just be setting fire to piles of money.

I think if there was any fairness then you could perhaps make this argument. When the profits are being taken out unfairly then nobody should be shocked when Nominet either use it as a reason, or an excuse, to end it all.

I buy some every so often. Whether I buy them from todays best cheater, UKBA, DL, Acorn, a new player like Flip.uk or Nominet directly its all the same to me. I would just like to see a fair playing field for everyone. And right now competing against tag collusion and armies of Bulgarians isn't fair for anyone involved.

9. ian

ian Well-Known Member

The point being perhaps there should be more criteria at Nominets end. What mates a plumber from Norwich up with a domain industry. Would said friend be willing to look someone in the eyes at Nominet and blag their way through? This could help imo.

Btw, who are you in this industry, tag etc? I just can't place the name.

10. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Genuine question, if you invest rather than register (drop catch), why do you consider the current setup to be a problem for you? Most domains going up for sale, is it who catchers (in the case of the Bulgarians that are the exception) or a certain platform that get a majority share you prefer not to buy from?

11. super-whois United Kingdom

super-whois Active Member

A lot more than the £37,000 odd per year David Thornton gets with his many aliases on here, when he's meant to be representing members.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

What criteria would you like to use? Plumbers aren't allowed a tag, okay. What if the plumber has a computer science degree? What if his buddy with money but genuinely no tech knowledge is investing in him (ie not a multi tag, but how can you quickly tell that?) Any rules like this don't really seem to be enforceable at all, or scaleable without wide scale cheating. Which leaves us back in the exact same position we are in today. I'd be interested to see any blanket rules that people think would be workable on a practical basis for this.

The biggest problem in past months would be the Bulgarians cheating then listing domains for sale for a price that isn't really in line with market values. I'm okay with Rob or Denis and their "partner tags" catching more than their fair share as they'd generally be pushed through public sales and the price they'll sell for is what they are worth. If I want to buy them I can. What I am selfishly concerned about is the Bulgarians making a return to their cheating ways and running riot with the catching and I can't get access to any of the domains I wanted. Outside of the Bulgarians, BHAYDOM certainly seemed to have a fair bit of luck that I'd rather he didn't have.

13. gregfindley

What value does buying US-based cyber security company CyGlass bring to the UK registry for domain names? I don't recall voting for the registry of .uk domains to take on a strategy of acquisitions in US-based cyber security businesses.

Why not fix the faults in the current system? An excuse to end it all I agree on, as someone said earlier in this thread, I believe by neglecting to take action on complaints, or make changes to the system, they've actively allowed this to build to a position where they can simply end it all as you say, and then take a few choice quotes from a survey of 64 responses for PR/'member engagement'.

To play devil's advocate, how do you know it's an unfair playing field? If you're just purchasing domains via aftermarket sellers/auction platforms.

14. webber

webber Active Member

With all the brexit talks quieting down recently, I forgot how much xenophobia there is... Thanks for the reminder

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. super-whois United Kingdom

super-whois Active Member

Hello again David. It's quite ironic that you're trying to delude us with multiple aliases.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

I have no idea what value CyGlass bring. I'll play along though and go with the answer of "none". Two wrongs don't make a right and I don't see the relevance to drop catching domains.

How would you fix it? You can't stop tag collusion and you can't stop people creating accounts that are linked to each other. With the money involved its simply impossible. I could walk into my local pub or job centre tomorrow morning and walk back out with scans and selfies of 20 people with their government id. If you need me to pay via these peoples bank accounts I can do that too, but I'll need till Monday to organise it all. I don't think its realistic to fix the current system.

Perhaps its all entirely fair, and random Bulgarian people keep catching valuable domains, then transferring them to Kalin. Perhaps its another coincidence that certain UK based tags and tag cartels are acting the way they are.

Or perhaps if it walks like a duck....

17. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Just look into the reports people send in? and if they have merit take action

18. 3gmedia United Kingdom

3gmedia Active Member Exclusive Member

That's hilarious, I'm a plumber with a TAG :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

How can you prove it though? Look at the recent high profile ones everyones been posting about. We can all see what's going on but its not very likely you'd ever have 100% proof. So where can you go from there? Let them continue as a profitable suspected cheater until caught? It just starts a war of cheating, as to compete you need to join in. Then once you have even a small number of "tag partner" gangs the honest single player has no hope at all.

20. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

I don’t know how it’s been possible for hosted catching services to operate in this way for so long because mandating one of your supposed customers to send a caught domain name to auction and mandating they hand over a percentage of the final sale value isn’t operating at arms length. Charging a fixed service fee per month or fees based on a sliding scale depending on the number of domain names registered is at arms length.

Also for clarification, the proposed economically controlled access options would include nil connections for drop catching by default and would be restricted to registrars who are also members. To receive the minimal number of connections of six necessitates spending £600p/a for the minimal 6 connections and £100p/a for membership (or £1200 p/a for 12, £1800 p/a for 18 all the way up to £6000 p/a for 60 connections and £100 p/a membership).

21. ian

ian Well-Known Member

If you are from Norwich too I'll take back my argument entirely.