20i Domains

Nominet announces new policy consultation for expiring .UK domains

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Acorn Newsbot, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Personally I have no idea

I'm sure people like Denys and Rob could come up with something

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

You personally have no idea but you’re also sure someone else you know could come up with an answer. Doesn’t make sense.

4. StudioVision United Kingdom

StudioVision Active Member

This is simply untrue. There are already AT LEAST a small number of "tag partner" gangs - I operate singlehandedly, within the rules/AUP and make a substantial amount of profit per year from my dropcaught domains, all of which will evaporate overnight if the current system/way of doing things changes.

I find it very unfair and unsatisfactory that Nominet have taken my registration fee for the last however many years when (if?) they have no way of policing access to their own systems, and everyone has been able to cheat and gain an advantage over people like myself that stick to the rules that Nominet have set out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  5. 3gmedia United Kingdom

3gmedia Active Member Exclusive Member

Sorry, Cardiff

6. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

If you have no idea then perhaps its not a good idea.

Asking Denis and Rob to help come up with the idea would be like asking turkeys to vote for Christmas.

7. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

So you’re complaining because you’ve done very well “for the last however many years” and have profited substantially, but now it all might change and end because you don’t want to adapt? How long did you feel you were entitled to expect the status quo to have remained? Your lifetime? (Same question to @Nigel @Murray and anyone else).

8. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

You know full well how to spell Denys name tut tut

I'd trust Denys and Rob to have enough knowledge and data to be able to prove who is doing what or at least have a good suspicion to look into further

I don't need to know how to make a website to be able to say someone else does, for example

9. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

Where are you making this substantial profit from? Couldn't you buy the domains at market value from a public auction and continue to make this substantial profit? If you couldn't then I don't see why you should feel entitled to it. I would say it was nice while it lasted but the cheaters are going to end it for you.

10. StudioVision United Kingdom

StudioVision Active Member

No, I'm complaining because I've stuck to the rules and the least I expected Nominet to do was to make sure everyone else did.

I have over 22 years of development experience so should be able to adapt better than most if/when changes are made.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

I imagine they tried when things were reported but if people were able to pull the wool over their eyes, maybe the rules were daft in the first place and it’s about time they were consulted on. They were produced nearly fifteen years ago at which time EPP and the DAC didn’t exist. Neither did hosted chasing services. They’ve largely remained unchanged since then.

12. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

I would say Rob and Denis definitely have enough knowledge to comment on cheating.

Why would they want to though? They both run drop catching platforms. They are out of of business overnight if Nominet swap to public auctions.

13. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

If things swap to economically controlled access it might be the case that they have the ability to catch most of the domain names themselves and don’t require customers with their own tags to increase the likelihood of any caught domain name ending up on their service for which they may currently receive compensation.

14. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

Do you have some ideas on how Nominet could realistically force everyone else to be as honest as you?

If its not possible then its probably time to change the rules to create an even playing field?

15. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

You don’t but in the real world of industry I think you’d be quietly laughed at for making such a statement to others based on your “trust” alone.

16. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Well I will make sure if I'm ever involved in the real world of industry that my ego is robust

17. Nigel United Kingdom

Nigel Well-Known Member

Can we start a new thread on this with established acorn members of at least a year's standing only. These two are giving me a headache

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

Please accept my sincere apologies for creating an account to comment on something that might impact my ability to pay my mortgage.

19. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

Maybe just come out with statements that you can back up with facts other than a hunch. Do you think everyone who’s ever built the in-house systems Nominet have are clueless and don’t know how they function but two people you admire online do? Some often think they’re experts on things but strangely they don’t have jobs as experts helping those that are supposedly clueless.

As has been asked already in this thread, how do you detect someone who’s overseeing multiple memberships/tags created in the names of real people who have enough ability to answer an unannounced telephone call from Nominet to ask them about their relationship with the company? If they were smart they’d use a dedicated number and push the call to voicemail so they could at least be prepared when Nominet phoned again. Otherwise, short of Nominet doorstepping them, I am at pains to think how you believe anyone could deduce cheating when domain names are not changing between tags, income from sales isn’t being funnelled to one person immediately and systems are kept separate. Do tell, or go ask Denys or Rob who you say you trust to tell you and then come back here and tell everyone else, since it’ll all be irrelevant in the near future anyway.

20. Nigel United Kingdom

Nigel Well-Known Member

thanks for the disagree Derek - that was kind of you.

21. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Didn't Denys make a blog post about a report he made?