Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Nominet announces new policy consultation for expiring .UK domains

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by Acorn Newsbot, Jul 16, 2020.

1. keano United Kingdom

keano Active Member

I always thought Nominet were a non-profit organisation. They certainly were at the start.

On the Nominet about us page there is no mention of non-profit, so I'm wondering whether they are or they aren't?

I understand that the charitable foundation was dropped in the last couple of years. So where would the profits of the proposed auctions and EPP access actually be going as my understanding is that they are already quite "profitable" even if they are (or aren't technically anymore) classed as a "non-profit". I'm confused...

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

Indeed.. and he's somehow bragging about it.. This guy is as toxic as they come..

• Like Like x 1
  4. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

No I didn't.. and you shouldn't have it..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Retired Member

One person shared it and I know who it was... They then shared it etc..

6. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Tony sold a script for the RoR release that I used that worked beautifully

He has also done well with his own script generally so I don't know how you can knock it

@Hay If someone shared his script without permission shame on them and you would think you would have enough shame not to admit picking over it

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. BREWSTERS United Kingdom

BREWSTERS Well-Known Member

A lot of non-profits and large charities are run for salary, rather than as a benefit to others.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

Its a game of "best cheater wins". Of course they're going to steal each others work when a chance arises. They're all in direct competition to see who can break the rules in the most profitable way, its very naive to expect any level of honesty between any of them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

I did word it specifically "you would think you would have enough shame not to admit picking over it"

If something falls in your lap and it could give you a competitive edge then yeah of course you're going to look but if you know you've got it through illicit means at least have the decorum to keep it to yourself, let alone rub it in their faces that they're had their hard work leaked

Is there no honour amongst thieves tut tut

10. Derek Portugal

Derek Active Member

Denis used his blog to out multiple people.

Rob used a note on the UKBA homepage to encourage people to complain to Nominet about BHAYDOM.

Its not much of a surprise BHAYDOM is now using Acorn to gloat and annoy people.

11. Hay

Hay Active Member

Lets get one thing right... i guarantee each and every one of you would keep your mouths shut if you had some competitive edge, at least i had the arse to speak to nominet and give them step by step instructions on how to replicate and fix open flaws... any of you greedy fuckers would have sat on it and cleaned up for months on end and those that are not able to code something themselves just turn to bitching because jealously gets the better of them and they are clueless on how to build a better script for their own use rather than relying on 3rd party scripts or renting someone like Robs for a 50% share of any catch they get...!!

im my eyes im all for nominet changing and removing dac.. Im going to suggest a given account can buy unlimited connections as oppose to 60 or whatever they plan... Anything to ensure that more than 1 account is rendered useless.. and if they can't do that then auction every domain themselves and everyone can send xmas cards to ukbo saying thankyou.

12. LCHappy United Kingdom

LCHappy Active Member

Shame Rob got you banned when helptobuyorg.uk dropped, that would have been nice.That must hurt a bit, surely?

13. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

If Nominet simply began publishing domain name drop times, negating the requirement for using the DAC, how many currently free registrar tags that are linked to existing Nominet memberships as well as currently free tags that wouldn’t be linked to any Nominet membership do you think would immediately be applied for, each giving 6 additional EPP connections and additional EPP create requests? The cost to register a domain name with a free to obtain non-member linked registrar tag is £80+VAT, payable only when a successful registration occurs. Very cheap for a very desirable domain name that would sell on for a multiple of that.

14. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

No. Consultations are open to anyone. Consultation’s aren’t votes. Nothing unique about this and Nominet. Look at OFCOM and many other consultations.

15. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

Some explanation here

16. davedevelopment

davedevelopment Well-Known Member

Fair point! Would it be any worse than what we have now?

17. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Make use of EPP a membership perk without charging on top of what we already do.

18. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

Much worse. I speculate that we might then find one or two parties would manage to use dozens or more individuals to create the same number of free non-member registrar tags to then use them in concert. Many others might just ask a few close friends and family members.

There’d be absolutely no setup fee or ongoing cost to do this. All those free tags sending unnecessary create requests could eventually put too much additional load on the main systems and would encourage an unnecessary proliferation of free registrar tags potentially up in the many thousands. I hope this explains where the economically controlled option in the consultation came from.

19. mcrick Portugal

mcrick Member

So you want to turn off non-member registrar tags? That disadvantages those who wish to have a tag to interface with the registry without being a member and don’t want to drop catch. Not really very fair to those people, however if making EPP a member only benefit then we’d a still see umpteen members created via proxy person for the sole purpose of drop catching. Playing devils advocate, how many forum users have worked out that they probably aren’t going to need all those memberships they’ve paid for over the past few years? :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  20. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Well-Known Member

Sorry, I had an intense day's work yesterday so I'm just catching up on the news (which I knew was coming but I didn't know exactly when)...

It's not about jealousy, it's about fairness. When greed takes over, and people shaft the system, or resort to what you call "extreme measures", then as that increases more and more, you're going to get system crash - and that's exactly what you have now. The rules were either deliberately not enforced, or more likely, the rules were crap because they were so easy to circumvent. No rules, people playing the system - you end up with bedlam. Was it allowed to happen as a pretext? I have no idea.

Do you think I enjoyed calling out this whole system the way I did? Way to go to make myself unpopular. But I was calling out the total unacceptability of idiots thinking the UK namespace belonged to them, to cheat it, to disrupt it, and I predicted that if this went on, then Nominet would pull the rug... and it looks like they're on the verge of doing just that. The cheats and exploiters, who thought they were so clever, have nuked the system.

My own view now: if a really tight system could be created AND ENFORCED (for which, of course, there has to be a WILL to enforce)... then I would be fine with that. But is that going to happen? It could happen, but I don't think it will. Otherwise, following the ruthless logic, domain catching will be replaced with auction method. I've already explained how that will work. People more or less dismissed my prediction in January as left field, and here we are. I warned several times that the mayhem of rival complaints, and the uproar, and the actual cheating, would lead to the end of the old. And it has.

It has, because Nominet acts in its own interests. It is no longer your little local non-profit being run for the Nominet Trust. It is a profit-seeking investment entity, which includes the recent purchase of CyGlass. It doesn't need "the little people" if they are bombarding it with problems, controversies, complaints, cheating, uproar. By January, after the (in my view) idiotic decision to let mega Registrars like Namesco and 123 reg mass-register, and the crazed feeding frenzy when Namesco's mass-registrations were finally being released that month, the writing was on the wall. But the gaming carried on. We shall probably see it all over again when Fasthosts and Ionos1&1's names drop in September. Why? The rules are not being enforced. I agree with those who say they can't effectively be enforced. They are too loose.

But to be direct - I have little sympathy with you coming here, Ben, and addressing us all as if we are all cheats and 'greedy f*****s' - because hey! great! the chickens have come home to roost. To add to that, you've come here, time and again, to gloat. I don't like that. Very unclassy. No, we are NOT all cheats. You seem to have a very jaundiced view of human beings. SOME people are cheats. And they have run riot over process. "Technical arms race" was about right. But not fair technical arms race. Not fair, for the millions of people who would prefer the UK namespace to simply be run with due process, clear rules, and some kind of order.

By January the situation had become untenable. It was anything goes, as long as you could get away with it. We all saw that. I'm a logical, not that stupid person, who saw back then it was over. It was imploding. You resorting to what you euphemistically describe as "extreme measures" did not help, even if you then thought you'd become poacher turned gamekeeper - at least that's your narrative. I risked unpopularity (and I get that) for saying 'Okay, then it's an auction then' because at least that could be run with enforceable rules. On reflection, I'm not even sure about that - because there are further issues down the auction road: if Nominet can auction expired domains for sale on Day 90... are you sure large registrars won't auction them first (to get their share of the pickings - and would Nominet challenge that if they did)?

Those of you who want to reclaim a truly fair and rules-enforced dropping system better get to work to build the case. Maybe a team of you, and maybe bring in Andrew Bennett, and there will be others who might piece an argument together. However, what I see is wreckage, and it would be a huge uphill persuasion job. My position is: clear rules must be rigorously enforced. That means, they must be rules that CAN be enforced, and cannot be exploited or circumvented without penalty. Failing that, it will be an auction system... which is really unpopular to say here for the obvious reasons we all know. What it can't be, is the system as it stands - because that's broken... trashed by people who in all kinds of ways saw the whole UK namespace as prey. It was already in need of review. It couldn't stay 1999 forever.

One or two don't get it. You were already losing the old order back in January (and indeed before). It was unravelling. Nominet control was failing to police effectively... even if they would say that they tried... the rules were simply not possible to police, even if they wanted to. Meanwhile they followed the old ICANN principle of letting large tech companies (their best customers) police themselves when it came to things like the creation of millions of 'ghost registrants' with domains they never asked for - in the process disrupting agreed process, because 'that was a matter for those Registrars'.

I will continue to say unpopular things. Whether I'm saying harsh things here, or harsh things addressed to the Nominet Board or Executive.What I won't do is come online with outrageous bravado, accuse everyone of being cheating f*****s, and then claim kudos for telling Nominet what I've been doing. Especially when all the malarkey (whoever did it) - and the circumventing of rules has led to shambles.

This is the UK's namespace. It doesn't belong to Namesco or GoDaddy or a cartel at home or abroad... in fact it doesn't even belong to Nominet - they are meant to be 'stewards', ensuring it runs safely and well for all. Because big tech has disproportionate influence and sway, frankly I doubt this whole affair will be seen as anything more than putting unwanted hassle to bed. And thanks to certain people there has been HUGE and unwanted hassle. I suspect Nominet are close to thinking 'We just don't need this recurring shit-storm'. Because things have run amok this year.

There is about a month to organise and sort things out if you're going to. I'm sorry for the many people here who've been decent to me, but I'm afraid I think this is the way it is.

Susannah (trying to tell it how it is)

• Winner Winner x 5
  21. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Well-Known Member

I would actually respect a Nominet Board member having the balls to come to the forum here, to argue a corner, because not many would. But please... for a person in that position to make repeated appearances under substitute usernames... that's kind of bizarre. If that applies to anyone on this thread, then kindly have the dignity to disclose yourself and I may give some attention to things you say. Otherwise - it's embarrassing. Man, I look forward to meeting you at my first Board Meeting...

• Winner Winner x 4