20i Reseller Hosting

Nominet to waive registration fees for next 3 months?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by dig bick, Mar 24, 2020.

1. dig bick United Kingdom

dig bick Active Member

It's not like they couldn't afford to. They're a not for profit business and they're all about community and charity after all. Missing 3 months of reg fees wouldn't even make dent in their mountain of cash. Reckon they'll offer up anything? :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member Full Member

Absolutely not

4. dig bick United Kingdom

dig bick Active Member

Not even a temporary freeze on the price increase?

5. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

I guess the deeper question is why would they, even if they could?

If people are buying domains, then they (In theory) are showing they can afford it or feel the purchase is extremely worth it to them. When it comes to renewing, if a business/company can't afford the fee's, I feel the business in question would be in a lot more trouble than they realise and the domain fee's aren't going to help.

6. dig bick United Kingdom

dig bick Active Member

Maybe because Nominet aren't there to make a huge profit and are there to provide a service?

Not all people buying domains are businesses. I have a few domains up for renewal that are for charities and it got me thinking. With actual businesses chipping in to help during the crisis I thought that Nominet might offer something up. Some people are buying basic essentials with the last of their money but by your standard that's the least of their problems and free food wouldn't help them at all. Are you just trolling?

7. keys United Kingdom

keys Well-Known Member Full Member

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  8. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

No I'm not trolling. I was just posing a question.

I just don't always understand the argument of "they make lots of money" so should do it. That should apply for everyone, little or large. If you're not affected by this situation money-wise, are you going to step up and pay the registration fees for the charities and other companies you're renewing for?

Why is it only be posed as something someone with more money than you should do.

Charities are a good example, they're always needing money pretty much, so I assume you always pay a charities renewal fees, when your profits allow? That's what this is about right, helping people in need when they need it? The numbers in the bank should be irrelevant.

9. dig bick United Kingdom

dig bick Active Member

Actually my argument isn't that "they make lots of money". It's that they are a non profit set up to provide a service for the UK. Of course I'm affected by this but I cover their fees anyway but a little help for this 'charitable' organisation wouldn't go amiss.

10. Ben Thomas

I mean, if an end-user can't afford a tenner (on average) a year for a domain name, something is wrong. I can see a case for them giving a free period to registrars to pass this on to their customers to stimulate growth but I don't think they will do this right now. Perhaps Summer when it's RoR all over again :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. dig bick United Kingdom

dig bick Active Member

It's not that they cant afford a tenner, it's that they they could do life changing work with that tenner instead. £10 gets clean drinking water to someone for 5 years so someone can drink or Nominet can make a minor binary alteration in the ether. $30 pays for a cataract operation. Better someone can see or Nominet adds a few more bucks to the mountain of cash they already have? Google have kindly provided free adwords for Charities for years and we take full advantage of that so I thought that this could have been a nice gesture. Guess not!

12. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

Things like that are relative. You looking at nominets wallet is like someone in a third world country looking at your bank and seeing £250 as a millionaire. Most people that preach about companies not doing things like you say, rarely use any sort of large chunk of their money to save lives when they could have saved a life instead of buying a McDonalds.

Charity is a personal choice and no-one should ever be called out for not doing it, as we're all as bad as each other when it comes it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Ben Thomas

A victim of our environment I'm afraid. If we didn't live in a society so focused on money, we could look at life like that. But humans suck. And Nominet is a business (no matter how they want to paint themselves as a non-profit)

14. webber

webber Active Member

I agree, Nominet should behave like a service provider not a for-profit company. As a monopoly they should be highly regulated and have profits capped just as other essential suppliers like water, energy or broadband.
    I don't think Nominet should give discounts or a freeze to customers, but rather donate *all* profits to meaningful charities.

• Agree Agree x 2