20i Reseller Hosting

Quick Q

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by Marcoose, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcoose

Marcoose Well-Known Member

Not had the chance to read everything and am about to go to bed - what's the deal with acquiring domains now? If I buy a .co.uk domain that was reg'd pre October, will I get rights to .uk?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. AssetDomains United Kingdom

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

Yes

4. Slater United Kingdom

Slater Active Member

So you also get 5 years to decide if you want the .uk version of your existing .co.uk so if you sell a .co.uk in the next 5 years you'll be able to offer the buyer .uk version also or be a complete git and take the .uk version prior to transferring the .co.uk to them and then have the .uk version to sell.

Any domainers who have been buying older reg .org.uk and .me.uk domains thinking they would get the .uk version will have lost out. (must admit I regg'd a few when seeing the .co.uk was dropping).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  5. Marcoose

Marcoose Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys.

6. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

As I read it, yes. I think you will also be able to offer the buyer the "right" to the .uk without actually having to take up that right yourself, since a domain transfer doesn't reset the registration date. Though how that will work in practice, I've no idea...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.