Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Removed catching thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ok, please discuss it here if need be WITHOUT making accusations about other members and naming them.

I had a request to remove the thread because it called into question the integrity of another member which isn't acceptable IMO.

I know I'm gonna take some flack for it but I think I was correct to do so.

Out of interest PoshTiger, who does your DAC and EPP hosting?

So yet another thread closed I'm not sure why we can't have an adult discussion here why not just remove the offending post.

@invincible

In answer to your question there I'm on Denys domaincatch system. He was fully open when I signed up that it doesn't use the same script he does personally.
So like others on here don't get a sniff at the real great names that have dropped recently.

Nope, all my own work. I was a little dissappointed I wasn't named and shamed tbh as I take quite a lot of public bookings.

Also there was a lot of useful information that I posted in that thread which wasn't accusing any particular member of anything. Now you've deprived the readership of that material. :p

Also, have you or anyone else, ever caught a domain name in tandem with anyone elses DAC/EPP allowances and split the sale price with them as a result?

Tony Wight also uses my system yes, but it's a totally separate isolated system. It has to be. You OK with me now? Any more questions?

I'm not sure you'll get those kind of answers David, and I'm not surprised, no one would give away guarded secrets on how they have success.

Would like to see the original thread though, didn't get time to read it all or any responses to my questions.

So yet another thread closed I'm not sure why we can't have an adult discussion here why not just remove the offending post.

@invincible

In answer to your question there I'm on Denys domaincatch system. He was fully open when I signed up that it doesn't use the same script he does personally.
So like others on here don't get a sniff at the real great names that have dropped recently.

People only complain about these kind of threads when they have something to hide in my opinion. There was plenty of information in the the thread that many catchers might not want published and unfortunately the moderator who removed it cannot hide the fact that he has a self interest in drop catching. :)

I don't drop catch, however I am happy to email Nominet with data provided and they will investigate accusations of members working in concert. That should put an end to complaints. Should I start by asking them to look at sp***g.co.uk (my asterisks), since that domain was highlighted previously? Any others?

Tony Wight also uses my system yes, but it's a totally separate isolated system. It has to be. You OK with me now? Any more questions?

What about my second?

No posts in that thread were accusatory at all and I don't agree with it being removed.

I'm pretty sure most catchers called nominet when catcher *1 dominated and were told what I was told. Don't come here and complain just because someone else's script is better than yours.

We've been through all this before btw, nothing's changed apart from the players.

I'm pretty sure most catchers called nominet when catcher *1 dominated and were told what I was told. Don't come here and complain just because someone else's script is better than yours.

We've been through all this before btw, nothing's changed apart from the players.

You're not Nominet so you cannot possibly know who is and who isn't utilising multiple allowances. If you're not doing so, you shouldn't have anything to worry about and I cannot think why you'd not be in favour of Nominet forensically looking into things. If they did and caught people who were, you'd be better off (assuming you weren't doing so yourself).

My main post from the previous thread:

The variables for anyone in no particular order are likely to be:

1. Configuration and optimisation of ones server.
2. Efficiency of ones code.
3. Connectivity to Nominet. Nominet peer via Linx and Lonap. One could get an AS number, a PI block from RIPE, find an ISP to be your LIR, join Lonap (£2,000 a year), peer with Nominet, buy an enterprise router and switch and a couple of servers, get some colo space in the required data centre (possibly THN or THE) and plug the lonap connection directly into the machine running the drop catching code. That way one would truly be one hop from Nominet's border router without any other routers in the way.
4. Number of DAC's (and EPP's) you can host and utilise together, as well as get away with, to cover the 24 hour period.

Nominet's systems do evolve, and ones code has to be kept in shape, but simply put one memberships resource cannot compete against the combined resources of more than one membership. No amount of obfuscation of this by anyone will persuade me otherwise I am afraid. :)

*Anyone is entitled *to ask questions but if you want to ask them I feel you should rightly be asking Nominet. If you believe or suspect something isn't fair or correct, suggest it in an email ([email protected]) to Nominet and they're obliged to look into it. If you believe someone is making use of combined resources then stick your views in an email, *including the tags and caught domain names you want Nominet to investigate* and I am sure they will do so. They should be smart enough to work out: which DAC and EPP IP addresses might be linked to the same operation, if someone was pooling multiple membership DAC allowances with one EPP connection, or if someone was using a different membership DAC allowance but not the EPP connection, or vice versa, at a particular time in the day. If, after all of this, you still think someone is doing far better than you then look at my list numbered 1-4 and impliment whatever makes you feel happy. :)

I don't see what the big fuss is all about. If these practices aren't illegal then it's all fair game surely?

The catchers might operate in the grey, but find me a successful business that doesn't (or hasn't in the past).

Saying it's 'not fair' or down to greed is laughable. I liken it to website owners moaning about the sites ranking above them.

I don't see what the big fuss is all about. If these practices aren't illegal then it's all fair game surely?

The catchers might operate in the grey, but find me a successful business that doesn't (or hasn't in the past).

Saying it's 'not fair' or down to greed is laughable. I liken it to website owners moaning about the sites ranking above them.

People are mistakingly assuming greed is always bad. Of course greed is involved in this aspect of the industry.

In respect of utilising multiple DAC and EPP allowances in concert, it is counter to the Nominet anti avoidance rules (or whatever they're called nowadays). It isn't illegal in law though.

Correct

In respect of utilising multiple DAC and EPP allowances in concert, it is counter to the Nominet anti avoidance rules (or whatever they're called nowadays). It isn't illegal in law though.

But where is the proof that has led to all these accusations? If you have none, then these pointed questions are a little unethical; if you do have proof, then submit to Nominet to ensure fairness is once again the order of the day. Those with nothing to hide would then in theory reap the rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom