Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Removed catching thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Ok, please discuss it here if need be WITHOUT making accusations about other members and naming them.

I had a request to remove the thread because it called into question the integrity of another member which isn't acceptable IMO.

I know I'm gonna take some flack for it but I think I was correct to do so.

So yet another thread closed I'm not sure why we can't have an adult discussion here why not just remove the offending post.

@invincible

In answer to your question there I'm on Denys domaincatch system. He was fully open when I signed up that it doesn't use the same script he does personally.
So like others on here don't get a sniff at the real great names that have dropped recently.

Nope, all my own work. I was a little dissappointed I wasn't named and shamed tbh as I take quite a lot of public bookings.

Tony Wight also uses my system yes, but it's a totally separate isolated system. It has to be. You OK with me now? Any more questions?

I'm not sure you'll get those kind of answers David, and I'm not surprised, no one would give away guarded secrets on how they have success.

Would like to see the original thread though, didn't get time to read it all or any responses to my questions.

No posts in that thread were accusatory at all and I don't agree with it being removed.

I'm pretty sure most catchers called nominet when catcher *1 dominated and were told what I was told. Don't come here and complain just because someone else's script is better than yours.

We've been through all this before btw, nothing's changed apart from the players.

I don't see what the big fuss is all about. If these practices aren't illegal then it's all fair game surely?

The catchers might operate in the grey, but find me a successful business that doesn't (or hasn't in the past).

Saying it's 'not fair' or down to greed is laughable. I liken it to website owners moaning about the sites ranking above them.

I don't see what the big fuss is all about. If these practices aren't illegal then it's all fair game surely?

The catchers might operate in the grey, but find me a successful business that doesn't (or hasn't in the past).

Saying it's 'not fair' or down to greed is laughable. I liken it to website owners moaning about the sites ranking above them.
Correct

In respect of utilising multiple DAC and EPP allowances in concert, it is counter to the Nominet anti avoidance rules (or whatever they're called nowadays). It isn't illegal in law though.

But where is the proof that has led to all these accusations? If you have none, then these pointed questions are a little unethical; if you do have proof, then submit to Nominet to ensure fairness is once again the order of the day. Those with nothing to hide would then in theory reap the rewards.

People only complain about these kind of threads when they have something to hide in my opinion. There was plenty of information in the the thread that many catchers might not want published and unfortunately the moderator who removed it cannot hide the fact that he has a self interest in drop catching. :)

I don't drop catch, however I am happy to email Nominet with data provided and they will investigate accusations of members working in concert. That should put an end to complaints. Should I start by asking them to look at sp***g.co.uk (my asterisks), since that domain was highlighted previously? Any others?

I don't believe either person are doing anything dodgy in terms of multiple allowances they have simply identified a bug in the system.
You would probably need 50+ tags to go on the run one person did earlier this year and that would only be poling the maximum for 7 hours a day both these guys get to the name whenever it drops in the 24 hours which means there would be a massive 200ms between there poll's of the dac. It would take a lot of tags to plug that gap I don't believe these hot streaks have anything to do with multiple tags.

Last edited:
I don't believe either # or # are doing anything dodgy in terms of multiple allowances they have simply identified a bug in the system.
You would probably need 50+ tags to go on the run did earlier this year and that would only be poling the maximum for 7 hours a day both these guys get to the name whenever it drops in the 24 hours which means there would be a massive 200ms between there poll's of the dac. It would take a lot of tags to plug that gap I don't believe these hot streaks have anything to do with multiple tags.
Gah, please edit out the names.

Fine. Your opinion. Who hosts yours? ;)

Now you're being silly.

So 4 tags will cover the day on maximum polling (of the DAC). Further tags would still give more allowance and more polling in the gaps. The needle on my obfuscation detection meter is going haywire.

Are you definitely not a customer of either D****n or D***s? :p
He's right regarding the maths dude.

It doesn't take long for the witch hunt to start these days!

I'm as sure as I can be that this has nothing to do with multiple TAGs/allowances.

Grant

Nobody can realistically argue that having more than a single DAC allowance isn't a significant advantage in respect of total 24 hour DAC coverage. Does anyone wish to try to argue this?

If you have one allowance you can only cover a portion of the day on the fastest setting. Does anyone wish to try to argue this?

If you have four DAC allowances you can cover the entire 24 hour period on the fastest setting. Does anyone wish to try to argue this?

Nope, but it still doesn't prove that is what others are doing, just because a thread was removed.

Not really any different than a catcher asking another catcher to help them pick up a domain, apart from possibly not coordinating query times.

Surely if this was happening but the same EPP used, Nominet could tell quite easily?

Still think, even with more tags, there would still be gaps for others, so I'm of the mindset that this is down to solid script and the best (most expensive?) server setup.

Tony - still names mentioned in quotes, by you and another.

Fine. Your opinion. Who hosts yours? ;)

Now you're being silly.

So 4 tags will cover the day on maximum polling (of the DAC). Further tags would still give more allowance and more polling in the gaps. The needle on my obfuscation detection meter is going haywire.

Are you definitely not a customer of either D****n or D***s? :p
I stated earlier I'm on domaincatch. but as both these people can catch any time in the 24 hours they must be polling 200ms apart given that any decent script would take less than a millisecond to talk to nominet you would need 200 working in perfect harmony just to make sure you had every millisecond covered between poll's even then you need a bit of luck. I don't know how they do it but it seems clear its not just a case of multiple accounts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom