Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Stars in titles

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by bensd, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

Can they be disabled?

Rather annoying...

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I agree, if someone knows how to do this in VB please let me know. I will research in the meantime.

Admin

4. mrt United Kingdom

mrt Member

The correct fix would probably be a hook that runs on newthread_post_start but - in lieu of knowing how to do that - stripping those characters from thread titles in newthread.php should be trivial with something like:

Code:
    $vbulletin->GPC['subject'] = str_replace("\xe2\x98\x85", '', $vbulletin->GPC['subject']);
    Admin, if you try popping that somewhere reasonable before line 163 in newthread.php it'll quietly filter these characters out, which I'm assuming is the problem: ★

Also test it because it's untested other than making sure it matches the unicode code point for that specific star :)

If you'd prefer a proper hook I'd be happy to look into that too.

5. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

Ive not seen any stars in thread titles ? Are we talking about the thread ratings ?

If so you could just disable them from the options of each forum :

Admin CP -> Forums & Moderators -> Forum Manager -> Edit Forum -> Allow Thread Ratings in this Forum

Failing that , i cant remember if they have a class set on vbulletin 3 but if they have simply display:none in CSS .

Editing files is not needed and shouldnt be done on vbulletin or any other commercial forum platform with out really good reason to do so.....of which i cant think of any, most things can be done within the plugin or template system

If its not the thread ratings and you are talking about someone putting star characters in their title............I would recommend to use the plugin system rather than file editing, although having said that i highly doubt there will be many further version releases other than security releases for vb3 so as long as you keep a record of edited files you would be ok.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  6. mrt United Kingdom

mrt Member

I completely agree modifying system files isn't ideal when you're wanting to track upstream releases, but AD runs on an already-modified vB3 which isn't in a position to track newer vBulletin versions so it's much less of a crucial issue. It's purely a quick "annoyance fix" which isn't really worth anybody putting too much time into.

You are right though, if the circumstances were a bit different it'd be absolutely preferred to implement it properly using the hooks and plugins that vBulletin makes available.

7. ian

ian Well-Known Member

8. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member

9. atlas Canada

atlas Well-Known Member

Those stars weren’t so big. They were really so small.
    You might think such a thing wouldn’t matter at all.

10. Retired_Member38

Retired_Member38 Banned

They don't look very good; but as far as problems that Acorn has goes they're really quite far down the list.

11. Mgx

Mgx Banned

12. denchomsky United Kingdom

denchomsky Well-Known Member

Why don't you just tell him him to stop doing it, he is the only member that does it, in fact you could just tell him to stop posting all together, I don't think anyone would be too upset.

13. Mgx

Mgx Banned

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  14. scottmccloud

scottmccloud Well-Known Member

On a slightly related note, it was only a month or so ago that I realised his name was 'Lam Hung 2007' and not 'I am Hung 2007'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.