Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

TagNames Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't know. I you don't, then you should bloody-well ask. We as members have a right to know.

Problem is mate that people aren't telling him, he is just as fed up with it as us.. No point shooting the messenger on this one.

Maybe one for us to phone Nom ourselves, there staff have always been helpful when I have rang.

I'm sure that a lot of this, and decision making, will be tied into Nominet's forthcoming consultation - Latest News. If you want your voice heard as members then the email & four meetings are places to be seen.

It's no use getting at Rob. As a respected PAB member he has to be independent and follow disclosure agreements. The PAB results and feedback will be out when others decide.

From my perpective the DAC changed weren't definitive, and they certainly weren't clear, with several points being at odds with each other - we all know which. Alowing provisions for droplists, but restricting dac data retention (though if the clause was to define processed dac data in accordance with the first point there wouldn't be an issue).

Hopefully the concerns you all made to the PAB - you did make them didn't you? will he heard and carefully considered. Whatever, the results will define Nominet's stance on the secondary market and they therefore have to be made with consideration - and I say again, also withb the long term objectives of the consultation in mind.

No use ranting here... no one will hear you scream.

S

Well, he was at the bloody meeting?

I was - http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/nomin...papers-proposed-changes-dac-8.html#post188629 has my answer to it.

Personally I feel it was a positive meeting of the PAB, and with people who were there from Nominet.

I'm sure that a lot of this, and decision making, will be tied into Nominet's forthcoming consultation - Latest News. If you want your voice heard as members then the email & four meetings are places to be seen.

I think Acorn is long overdue a proper discussion of all the elements of domaining, secondary market , catching, whatever the buzzwords are today - the whole shebang. I doubt it will be pleasant as I am aware of some people whose livelihood is in part dropcatching have made their views clear even to extent of disassociating with certain views on nomsteer from equally interested parties.

The 'industry' has always evolved, breaking new ground / exploiting loopholes depending on your viewpoint ;) - and going from 2009-2010 let alone 2015 to 2025 is going to be the same.

Last edited:

Good spot mate never seen that until you mentioned it. Booked myself into Manchester, Wednesday next week.

See you all there..... :D

I was - http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/nomin...papers-proposed-changes-dac-8.html#post188629 has my answer to it.

Personally I feel it was a positive meeting of the PAB, and with people who were there from Nominet.

I think Acorn is long overdue a proper discussion of all the elements of domaining, secondary market , catching, whatever the buzzwords are today - the whole shebang. I doubt it will be pleasant as I am aware of some people whose livelihood is in part dropcatching have made their views clear even to extent of disassociating with certain views on nomsteer from equally interested parties.

The 'industry' has always evolved, breaking new ground / exploiting loopholes depending on your viewpoint ;) - and going from 2009-2010 let alone 2015 to 2025 is going to be the same.
Indeed Rob - we knew you were there. I'm not trying to wage an anti-Rob campaign, I'm just sick of the pervasive silence.

It is clear a class action is waiting to happen (ie: we pay x for our domains, everyone else pays x for their domains - some get preferential treatment = illegal under UK law and EU and International law).

How's the situation illegal? We pay nominet directly and get a certain price. All registrars pay nominet directly and get the same price. if you buy via one of the big public registrars, you pay their price, which includes the nominet portion PLUS dns hosting etc.

Operational not policy?

At the last PAB meeting I went to this was resolved:

Michael Toth requested it be recorded in the meeting report that he asked for the implementation of the changes to the DAC contract to be suspended.
Eight PAB members supported the suspension of the changes to the DAC until further review. Nominet was invited to provide a briefing paper on the new mechanism, including an assessment of the impact of the changes.
http://www.nic.uk/digitalAssets/35224_PABmarch09_report_draft.pdf

However this was not agreed in the Board Response to PAB Resolutions at Meeting 61:

The Board reminds the PAB of the need to protect the .uk database. As a result, it has decided:
• To implement the time delay DAC in response to the needs of registrars with large numbers of customers
• To make several changes to the service in order to enhance the performance of the real-time DAC.
These changes will be:
1. The real time DAC will be available on dac.nominet.org.uk on port 3043
2. The registered flag will be limited to a Y/N response
3. The suspended flag will be removed
4. The registration status field will be removed
• To implement a revised set of changes to the DAC Terms and Conditions.
http://www.nic.uk/digitalAssets/35230_BoardResponse_to_PAB_Resolutions_at61.pdf

Therefore we now wait to see what the PAB response was to this executive paper presented at meeting 62:
http://www.nic.uk/digitalAssets/35229_PABpaper_changes_to_the_DAC.pdf

However Nominet have already said the new changes go live on June 30th:

The new DAC services will be implemented at 12.00 (midday) on Tuesday 30 June 2009.
Domain Availability Checker

Time will tell on this one mate, if they ignore PAB advice again or whatever is decided this time in the PAB, then for me may as well disband the PAB.

The credibilty of it is shot to pieces, Nominet is run by a cartel of board members and have no concern for members advice. These are the same people who secretly voted themselves a pay rise of the LTIP.

Just like the MP's, "the system did it"

Time will tell on this one mate, if they ignore PAB advice again or whatever is decided this time in the PAB, then for me may as well disband the PAB.

The credibilty of it is shot to pieces, Nominet is run by a cartel of board members and have no concern for members advice. These are the same people who secretly voted themselves a pay rise of the LTIP.

Just like the MP's, "the system did it"

Edit: was going to ask what you would do instead / change etc - but it could be worth starting a new thread about what direction Acorners want Nominet to go in.

Last edited:
It's a fair point Rob; the threads moved on well beyond tag names anyway.

I'd stop treating Nominet like it was my own personal toy. I'd open it up much more to membership discussion and be open and have the trust of people that what I did for the company was in the benefit of the members. I don't come from any agenda other than things are put openly before members and members decide. I am happy whatever the majority of members decide.

I have doubts about the people involved and their motives, rightly or wrongly. I openly question their motives and character.

There is no way the aims they have given for the changes will be solved by their solutions, It's just not credible and we have heard that from the people on here who know the system inside out.

When the details of the LTIP came out they way it did, the board lost all credibility and benefit of the doubt. That's the price you pay when you get involved in tricks like that. When they shut down Simon's website down for posting details of a former Directors concerns about Nominet's activities, they lost credibility.

So just like MP's if people don't trust them then they have to take a look at themselves.

Feel free to correct me on anything about that is incorrect mate.

Who the hell we are as members not to comply to mighty mummynet :D They can just change DAC, have a right to screw so that drops should wait for months. Is this PAB some kind of irish PUB?

TurNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom