Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

The great big .uk Rights of Registration thread!

Meanwhile, on another subject, 123-reg have been true to their word. They refunded all the money for domains they did not catch, and that money has cleared in my bank accounts. Admittedly, my results with them were pretty crap, but that's what I expected because when you offer effectively 'free' pre-reg's with no auction, you're going to get a huge volume, and individual chances were bound to diminish. I still thought they were worth a punt.

I spread my bets, and of the 5 sources I used, my best names probably came from Total.

I'd be interested to know what strategies other people used, if they weren't Nominet members using the scripts themselves.

I'd be interested to know what strategies other people used, if they weren't Nominet members using the scripts themselves.

I've never done anything like this before, so I had no idea what the best strategy was.

I wanted some geographical based names, plus my surname, and a few others I just liked the name of to develop sites on.

I'd received an email from Dropped.UK about their catching service for these new releases, and "registered" 19 domains with them.
Then I found out Domainlore was doing something similar. So I did most of the 19 again with them, to increase my chances, and a few others. 23 in total with them.

Then I did another 21 different domains with Godaddy.

Success rate:
Dropped.uk zero success from 19
Domainlore - they caught 6 out of 23, but only one (my surname) was exclusive to me, and I can't afford to bid on the other 5.
Godaddy zero out of 21.

So there's a clear winner there.

Now all I need to do is take control of the domain Domainlore caught for me. They've taken my money but not given me any instructions what to do next. Any ideas?

Now all I need to do is take control of the domain Domainlore caught for me. They've taken my money but not given me any instructions what to do next. Any ideas?

DomainLore will send you an email to complete the transfer through Nominet. I got an email late last week and the transfer went through straight away. I imagine Denys is up the wall at the moment, and it will take some time to clear the backlog, so give it a few more days and see what happens.

Last edited:
Well, I am actually directly descended from Henry 6th, my grandpa was a Kirkpatrick of clan Kirkpatrick

It's pretty cool because someone has made a website for the Kirkpatrick clan where you can trace my family tree on my grandpas side back to someone born 1070

http://www.genealogy.kirkpatrickaustralian.com/archives/getperson.php?personID=I19331&tree=TKA

I'm (probably) a direct descendant of Genghis Khan. Serial shagger apparently . SO much so that they reckon 1 in 200 men odd are direct descendants.

It's probably why I like fur hats and pillaging.

DOMAINNAME-AT have got just general type stuff

activity.uk
braces.uk
bathbombs.uk
pony.uk
rave.uk
puppet.uk
snapback.uk
pickup.uk

Looks like SEDO were behind the DOMAINNAME-AT tag

If you check the auction now on the banner up there ^^^^

You can see names in the auction like:

herbs.uk
located.uk
listening.uk
inexpensive.uk
glasswasher.uk
mead.uk
modem.uk
longbow.uk
generation.uk

Which are on the tag: [Tag = DOMAINNAME-AT]

SEDO also had these tags:

[Tag = INFO-AT] and [Tag = SCHILLMANN-DE]

Last edited:
I have to say after a month of looking through .uk domains, .co.uk now looks bulky in comparison

Exactly what I feel. It may take time for the public to recognise this, but .uk is the top-level domain, it's simpler, more direct, and I think in due course it will come to be seen as the premier ending - because it is, it's the top level.

Certainly for all my religious and political domains, I'd far rather have the .uk than the .co.uk because my websites are not a company, and in quite a lot of cases it feels a bit 'weird' to have the .co.uk ending after the names. The 'feel' is too commercial in some cases.

The example yesterday, of gay.uk is a perfect example of that kind of domain. It's short, it's direct, it's the top-level domain for the subject.

I realise businesses at present probably feel the .co.uk offers a bit more 'gravitas' and authority. I get that. It's what people are used to. Attitudes may change with usage over time.

For some domains, like my Christ.uk, it's best-suited right away. "Christ.co.uk" is weird frankly.

I did like film.uk too. It said exactly what it was, simply, cleanly. It was in my opinion a bargain at £6000 pounds or so.

Other names will work better with .uk than .co.uk ... family.uk seems a better fit than family.co.uk for example. There are countless examples like that.

I'm still stuck in two minds, I think prices are being over inflated in the hype at the moment (proven by zero value .org.uks suddenly making 3 figure sums) but will soften as the summer break (for many domain investors) takes hold. .uk is certainly high on the radar of investors right now, but nothing has changed from a retail perspective; I suspect most large value purchases are for development, which is of course positive for awareness. I'd still be more inclined to buy a quality .co.uk and the pair is still king. Genuine.co.uk + .uk looks like a bargain in the recent weeks.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom