20i Reseller Hosting

The three Nominet direct .uk proposals compared

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by Whois-Search, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whois-Search United Kingdom

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

Spot on. Great way of putting it - thanks.

I may however have been a little harsh on Edwin above (apologies Edwin) - he's done a lot of work on this and may have just been sick of it all by version three (as many of us were). Also having a consultation on version three wouldn't have hurt even if it has already been decided to do it that way - we are now in limbo until at least February (maybe even May) - in this three month period a comment period (on version 3) could have been ran by Nominet - even if it changed nothing the policy process would have been followed not ignored.

I often wonder what would have happened if Nominet had came out with version three first.... they after all must have had all the options on the table from the beginning?

I think we would have seen a much greater backlash from the Trademark / Legal community if they had gone out with version three first? As the preferred TM version came out first and was defeated by the majority of responses to the whole consultation itself, they now have no comeback on version three. That's why I think it was important to have another consultation on version three so when .uk does go live Nominet could have shown everyone had been consulted again.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. anthony United Kingdom

anthony Well-Known Member

You fail to define 'everyone' there. I can't recall Nominet ever consulting with end users, in spite of the fact that they have the mechanism to do so. Their business model reminds me of the one often seen in Japan, supplying the components to other parties who in turn arrange the long term contracts. It's a low risk strategy where you don't need to talk to the end users.

4. Whois-Search United Kingdom

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

Sorry to disappoint you Sean however it's neither altruism or mud raking.

Down at Giraffe & co we are less narrow-minded than some other companies in our industry. At the moment it's like going to the beach and putting your towel on another chair and saying "that's mine also".... you just annoy people doing it.

I personally want to see a third (not forth) comment period on version three. I'd also like the reserve list to be made longer and for JANET (.ac.uk and .gov.uk) to be included not just ignored as if they do not even exist.

In fact I'd actually prefer it if .uk was scrapped all together as you are effectively having to buy the same name twice. However I as you know well that's never going to happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.