Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Trying a Rank and Sell Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm having a go at a rank and sell strategy. So far, trying this with rare wines. It's managing Google position 5 and I haven't done any optimisation work, not bad eh?

Check out the Title tag I'm using on the page.

I've tried marketing this direct to companies but didn't get a response. So far, I've had one offer from someone seeing the page.

Who reckons this is a good strategy? Might try harder with jet hire next ...

If anyone else wants to try this strategy and wants to do some link exchanges to help with SEO, do please PM.

Rgds

Last edited:
I've done similar for my cloud domains (sig), been on p1 for a while now but no offers (maybe I haven't pushed the sale angle enough)

I've done similar for my cloud domains (sig), been on p1 for a while now but no offers (maybe I haven't pushed the sale angle enough)

Yes, you could make it more obvious you want to sell the domain, and perhaps give a bit more sales pitch.

CloudNetwork is not a bad name, good luck with it.

Rgds

I tried this for wind quartet just as an experiment really. It got to 3rd position for a while but dropped off rapidly. Realistically I think that is likely to happen to any page with minimal content that isn't updated and has only a couple of links to it.

[EDIT] I don't mean that as a negative-if you can make it work I'd be envious!

I think you will get more AdSense revenue if you put a horizontal block straight after the first paragraph.

If you can provide links in to my rare wines and jet hire sites, I can link to wind quartet. PM if interested.

Also, no harm updating with a sentence or two every now and again if you can remember.

Rgds

Guys

Try searching on "rare wines" and check out my title tag. It gets the message across right? I've also added AdSense for a bit of extra revenue.

If anyone else wants to try "rank and sell", and you have a little site that advertises the domain for sale, why not post it in the thread. If your site is one that I can link to from one of my sites, I will.

Rgds

Guys

Try searching on "rare wines" and check out my title tag. It gets the message across right? I've also added AdSense for a bit of extra revenue.

If anyone else wants to try "rank and sell", and you have a little site that advertises the domain for sale, why not post it in the thread. If your site is one that I can link to from one of my sites, I will.

Rgds

Well done on ranking this. However, I would be really careful about using adsense as you are probably on thin ice in terms of putting adsense on a site without real content and also publishing within a privacy policy.

Best wishes
Stephen

Thanks for your comments.

I haven't had a huge response on this thread, is no-one else interested in trying this. I could do with ranking differentials too.

Rgds

flipping is how i paid off my student debt and started my company.

imo you need to build a site and show profit and/or leads in order to get the sales price you want, unless you find an investor who understands the value of a domain only.

if i were you i'd build a website that a potential buyer can simply take over and begin earning from day one.

Thanks for your comments. My site building efforts are currently focused on topics where I can monetise with affiliate offers. Things like rare wines and jet hire would, like you say, need more custom monetisation. I'm hoping that creating visibility for the sites will make the right people think about making an offer. I know that some companies do understand the value of domains so just crossing my fingers and hoping really, whilst building out affiliate sites.

Rgds

If you intend to rank a site for the purposes of just selling it you have to question whether the real value lies in actually going into business with someone already in that space once ranked and delivering live customers.... rather than selling for what you "think" is a good price versus what you could make over 12 months actually running the site properly.

I'm taking this approach with a certain site right now so will be interesting to see how the "competition" react once they get the "Hi this sites for sale or ready for a JV, you've probably seen we're outranking you and generating the following traffic on these keywords... its ready to start earning you money straight away etc etc"

Should be an interesting model eg:

£2k for a kickass domain
£2-£5k on nailing the SEO on key exact match phrases + longtail phrase match (depending on how competitive)
£1500 on awesome site, design + content

so estimate £5k and 6 months to get it top 3 on your keywords.

Sale price should easily be 5x spend if its an instant revenue = ON for buyer.

edit: of course if you are trying to rank on something bonkers competitive then perhaps re-evaluate ;)

Last edited:
JMOT - Good luck with your venture.

One reason I'm going for the sale is that I'm looking to raise cash at the moment. If it wasn't for that, then I think selling advertising on a ranked domain would be more profitable long term. The only reason I haven't done this yet is the additional admin overhead, but I expect the increase in profitability over AdSense would be significant.

Rgds

selling

So yes I would say it's a nice model

Doug

Last edited:
It may be working .... I've just had an offer for one of my cloud names that is listed on my cloud network site. The buyer may have found the name there or from sedo, I can't tell at the mo so I'll ask the seller when it's all done and dusted.

I may experiment & try it with all my antique & collectables doms, see if that creates any interest (not an ideal sector though methinks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom