20i Domains

UK geo domains

Discussion in 'Domain Appraisals' started by twostepsbehind, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

Can I just add, suffix is irrelevant when it comes to SEO, as long as it isn't super difficult to type, look like spam, hyphens etc. the only thing that truly matters, is CONTENT.

People are indoctrinated to believe .co.uk will rank better than .uk, wrong. You're just not seeing .uk ranking (much) yet as nobody has adopted it. And that my friends, is the big question.

Will it be adopted, as much as the .co.uk?

I bet if I took a competitive .uk domain now and put a website on it, focused 12 weeks intensively creating quality SEO articles and optimising the site every single day, it would be ranking just fine.

Any SEO company worth their salt would tell you exactly the same thing. https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2015/07/googles-handling-of-new-top-level.html

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Spoken like every 2012 ghost writer whom are now under the trendy guise of "content marketers"....because they can.

4. Ben Thomas

Tell me I'm wrong?

5. Adam H

Your wrong...content alone, like any other variable alone is useless. Doesn't matter if you've got the best content in the world, if your site doent have the authority to maintain and follow that content through, it's never going to be seen (or won't be as prominant as it really could be). SEO hasnt really changed, trends come and go and some factors change weight ( such as content ) but ultimately the basic's still apply.

6. Ben Thomas

I'm assuming you just fancy disagreeing with me and have no concrete evidence to back up your answer? I could post 20 links now from reputable websites that agree with what I'm saying (including Google). But then you can't even use correct grammar, I don't expect much.

7. stitchbob

stitchbob Active Member

I think the underlying point is right - Google doesn't care if it's co.uk or .uk for SEO purposes - they're both on equal footing, which is probably above .space and all the other daft ones.

The biggest challenge is always going to be potential competition and confusion with the co.uk. If you read dave@brighton.uk to somebody over the phone, there's a fair to middling chance that dave@brighton.co.uk is going to get spammed. Even handing out business cards is likely to send customers to the wrong website for a couple of years yet, just because it's ingrained in people.

I have my own strategies for dealing with that, and it generally involves avoiding situations where it's going to be an issue, and focussing on targets where the fact that it's a .UK is a USP in its own right.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Adam H

If you think my grammar and spelling is bad now, you should have seen it a year or two ago, it was like reading a book without breathing.....I'm dyslexic but I'm good with that.

I'm disagreeing with you because your rinsing and repeating, following the crowd. With no context.

9. Robert Smith United Kingdom

Robert Smith Active Member Full Member

I agree 100% with the following:

--
    Can I just add, suffix is irrelevant when it comes to SEO, as long as it isn't super difficult to type, look like spam, hyphens etc. the only thing that truly matters, is CONTENT.

People are indoctrinated to believe .co.uk will rank better than .uk, wrong. You're just not seeing .uk ranking (much) yet as nobody has adopted it. And that my friends, is the big question.
    --
    And i have run tests etc - it ranks better. No big company will switch - why risk it? Its business which is why some people can talk a good game and write eveyone else down.

I also agree with your statement about content - and i know because i released 1200 pieces of content per month ( quality content ). Links are still important but quality content always finds its way to the top

10. Robert Smith United Kingdom

Sure. Thats why .com is still the best because google doesn't care about extensions :confused:

11. Ben Thomas

Robert can I just ask, how do you release 1200 pieces of content a month? Lol. I'm assuming you hired a couple of copywriters that worked non stop? I have trouble sticking to a content calendar myself, so would love some insight!

12. stitchbob

stitchbob Active Member

.com is still the best because it's basically the default - we're used to it being the standard extension for the biggest player. It wasn't so long ago that IE would attempt to route you to .com if you typed a word in the address bar. And yes, .uk probably ranks below .com if all else is equal. Doesn't change the fact that it's a well established TLD and won't hurt SEO compared to co.uk.

13. Ben Thomas

.com is still CHOSEN because it's been around the longest, basically.

14. Robert Smith United Kingdom

I have 25 football websites. People wanted (journalist) to write as they are very strong seo wise - this improved their chances of getting a job at the bbc for example. I had 180 people - that all wrote for free. I had a few celebs who did podcasts and the like - Toby Tarrant.

As part of the deal they got the chance to be on video//podcasts - and attend press conferences. I also teamed up with universities so it became part of their degree. It got too big - as i have a company too. I was in work every morning at 4am to get a head start and worked until midnight for 18 months. I wound things down last may but will pick it up again.

I have press accreditation at Arsenal, Bournemouth, Rangers and get to do England stuff on occasion

--
    This content on another project is impressive - 25k words -

Took 4 weeks to write
    2 weeks to design
    2 weeks to code

https://www.expatmortgage.uk/the-definitive-guide-to-london-for-expats/

Ever wondered whether 1*25k article is better than 25 * 1k - i would share my research but what would i know ;-)
    --

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Robert Smith United Kingdom

And it is american - they created the internet (apparently) - and they are very controlling and proud - they will never give up dominance of .com

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Ben Thomas

Hey, feel free to share that wealth of information with me. My inbox is always open. That page looks very impressive, code wise it's candy.

17. Ben Thomas

I could care less about .com, I didn't buy mine and someone from America contacted me after they registered it and tried to sell me it for $2700. Fair play to them, but I'm not interested in .com

18. Robert Smith United Kingdom

Back in the day the link ratio was something like 1:100 (links .com:.co.uk) - with all else equal.

.uk is more like 1:6 (.com versus .uk)

and 1:3 (.uk versus .co.uk)

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Robert Smith United Kingdom

Its a nice site - took a while to build.

20. Robert Smith United Kingdom

I bought barclaysmortgage.com back in 2012 for £600.

Put 2,500 words on it and left it. Got an email xmas eve 2017 from brand protection - we hit #6 in google randomly. Got 24hrs to take it down or else. Got worse as we have servers collocated - our provider emailed xmas day and threatened to pull the whole server down.

Was a good learning curve!

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Ben Thomas

Damn, man. I steer well clear of stuff like that now. Never been burned on it, but I know people who have and stories like yours just compound the fear. Not worth it huh

Tags: