Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.uk Shelved

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by bonusmedia, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonusmedia

bonusmedia Well-Known Member

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

trust the good old BBC to sum things-up nicely

4. Systreg

Systreg Well-Known Member

It hasn't been shelved:

5. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

Yes indeed Systreg - it's called trying to maintain a dignified exit

6. Systreg

Ray, I know what you're saying mate, but it's all bollox from Nominet, if they're knocking it on the head completely, they need to make it known firmly, it needs to be called a dead duck, that's the only way to start to restore things to the way it was before this direct.uk rubbish, anything other than them doing that is still causing further damage, especially with their statements above made today.

I'll only consider it shelved when Nominet confirm it's not going ahead in any form or variation

7. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

I don't know whether this is actually the case or if the BBC has jumped to a bit of a conclusion here. The later I think.

8. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Agreed - I think the BBC correspondent scanned the news release and made an assumption - but without reading the fine detail - we all know the way Nominet work. Nothing's straightforward and they certainly haven't yet fully and finally shelved the shorter .uk - but I think the BBC report shows why this can't drag on til June.

9. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

You'll never see or read a statement to that effect. Nominet went Public, with a 'thought strategy' that all businesses keep normally under wraps until they're are pretty much certain of a given outcome. Nominets mistake is that it sees its self as a Business entity, but run as a collective with that kind of thinking.

Not a good mix

10. bonusmedia

bonusmedia Well-Known Member

Nominet P.R.
    http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest/update-directuk

Summary of consultation results
    http://www.nominet.org.uk/sites/default/files/SummaryofdirectukFeedback.pdf

Full analysis of results
    http://www.nominet.org.uk/sites/default/files/NomensaAnalysisFinal.pdf

Whether this is the end of .uk or not, I am relieved.

As an end user and developer my main concerns were the potential cost of protecting my brands and the risk of losing out to new .uk sites if I was unable to. Those issues have been acknowledged as reasons not to proceed, so I am now much more confident they will be addressed in any new proposal.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  11. websaway United Kingdom

websaway Well-Known Member

I think if they had have gone the way you wanted there would have had to be an inquest, their position would have been indefensible. That should still happen, but it's calculated damage limitation.

12. Systreg

I don't see it as having to apportion blame or have an inquest, I just look at things as if I was running a business like Nominet or any other business. If I was in charge of whatever company, I would just come straight out and say it how it is, we tried something, we asked for feedback, the response was not in favour of it, with that, no further action will be taken regarding the idea, thanks for the interest, carry on as you were, no inquests, no blame etc etc

All this saving face crap is beyond me, just say it how it is.

13. websaway United Kingdom

But these, as officers of the company, are accountable for their actions and by admitting they got it totally wrong, which your outcome would have done, would leave them culpable.

14. websaway United Kingdom

a link on the bbc technology page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17393008

nominet should have asked mr northam what he thought about having to protect his new domain name before they bulldozed ahead with direct uk
    He could have put them right.

15. Systreg

Sorry mate, no idea what you mean by accountable for their actions and being culpable, of what?

They had an idea, like any company does, they put it to a vote to see if it's worth doing, vote is negative, carry on as normal, what's the problem?

16. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Is it possible the BBC made direct contact with Nominet on this, or that a separate press release was issued to important news services such as the BBC. If so perhaps they were told by Nominet that the shorter .uk web address was definitely 'shelved' which is why the BBC are now running the story 'Shorter .uk web address idea shelved by Nominet'

17. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

That is exactly what has happened in a sense, except they've sought the/a "Politicians" exit.

Which is the best you can expect in the circumstances. And There is no-way your going to see or read a definitive "No-longer under consideration statement" because that isn't the way Politics work

18. websaway United Kingdom

Yes and you stand or fall on the results of your ideas, and particularly on how you try to implement them.

Doing what you wanted them to do would have been like saying, yes we are idiots, we did not give our plans enough thought, we were the only ones who did not know this would not work in the form we proposed, everybody told us and we just went ahead regardless, we've created damage for absolutely no gain, we cannot reach our objective and it's our fault.

19. Systreg

That's where we differ, I don't do politics, if I did something that didn't work out, I would just put my hands up to it failing and carry on as normal, I couldn't care less what people think of me or what I suggested doing.

That's how it should be, you try to implement something, you fail, just carry on as normal, simple and that's all there is to it.

Everyone knows it was an ill thought out idea, so it's pointless them trying to save face by not confirming the idea is completely dead in the water. There's nothing wrong with failing at something, that's life, it happens all the time, it's just that all the face saving crap that annoys me.

20. Bailey United Kingdom

Bailey Well-Known Member

on the lighter side of things, I'm more interested in where all those that "guaranteed" this is definitely going to happen pundits are going to head-off to.

Perhaps Admin could just add a "Health warning" to their posts. :rolleyes:

21. Stephen United Kingdom

Stephen Well-Known Member

News v PR ?

On the Nominet website there is a seperate section for News Releases and at this time there has been nothing added about .uk only added in the News section.

PR (no .uk story) : http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/press-releases

News (with .uk story) : http://www.nominet.org.uk/news/latest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.