20i Reseller Hosting

.uk some guessed numbers

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by Stephen, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen United Kingdom

Stephen Well-Known Member

7,000,000 emails

Nominet stated back in February 2014 that they would sent out 7,000,000 emails to registrants (not 10,000,000 as that would be number of domains not unique registrants) in mid-July 2014 plus in a staggered way but did not state how long it would take.

Since then when questioned about it on other forums, Nominet have stated they will only be doing a test 30,000 emails soon in conjunction with 1 registrar (I don't know who).

Now sending out the 7,000,000 emails in September 2014 onwards, as it would not be commercially well received in Summer due to holidays (which makes sense but also made sense in February when they announced there original plan, as the holidays for always been there).

Nominet have stated they will be sharing with registrars the wording of the email before it goes out in mass, which makes sense.

It does make sense to have a co-ordinated effort with registrars and Nominet but I understand that many registrars sent out emails to clients hence 50,000 advance registrations for .uk at £10 each and have it on there websites as a product now.

7,000,000 emails will surely have an effect on increasing the numbers of .uk registrations, to what I wonder?
    and will it mean more .uk websites?

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Stephen United Kingdom

Stephen Well-Known Member

emails

There was 2 distinct arguments about email to registrants during the .uk consultation;
    1. would it be illegal?
    2. would it be desirable and beneficial and practical?

I do recall offering to pay for a Barristers opinion when they said it was illegal to send emails and they declined.

Nominet did answer this area in a FAQ eventually.

No "it was not always on the cards" about Nominet sending emails to all registrants once it was all done. On many occasions Nominet staff/management would not commit to sending emails to registrants after the .uk launch.

But the good news is Nominet are going to do it and share details on the wording and the process before they press the button.

4. aZooZa

aZooZa Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

To cut a long story short then, Nominet are going to use the relationship between the registrar and the registrar's client to effect this email. Clever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.