Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.UK to go ahead according to BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this early stage I have to say that the 5 year thing is a master stroke.

In the small proportion of instances where there could be competition – e.g. where one person holds example.co.uk and another holds example.org.uk – the shorter domain will be offered to the .co.uk registrant.
How would the five year rule apply when there is an owner of a .co.uk and a different owner of a .org.uk? Would the .co.uk owner still have up to the five years to decide if they want it?

As that would essentially mean .org.uk/.me.uk owners have no right at all to .uk?

I presume nobody knows this as of yet, but I wonder what this means for the domains that where going to be reserved for government departments. Will these .uk domains now go to the equivalent .co.uk domain owners or still be reserved for goverment?

I'm presuming as they are saying the .co.uk owner should get the domains for all others, then the same would apply in these cases.

Nothing definitive maybe call and ask for clarification

Consultation responses highlighted concerns about reserving generic terms such as ‘food’ or ‘independent’ as part of this process. Recognising the merits of that argument, we will continue to engage with Cabinet Office to produce a definitive list of reserved names that avoids the reservation of generic terms and where possible avoids creating contention with existing registered domain names.
Conversely some respondents argued for a much broader list of reserved names. Nominet continues to believe that the reserved names list should be kept to a minimum in line with our existing policy, and that the exception to the general approach of open registration is justified only in the highly specific case of the ‘orphaned’ names of public bodies that will be migrated from .gov.uk.
The restriction on registering .com and .uk at the third level already present in Nominet’s rules will be carried forward into SLDR.
from page 9
http://www.nominet.org.uk/sites/default/files/SLDRdecisionpaper.pdf

so, does this mean everyone's portfolio value just went up in value by about 25% :D

:) I'm already on the first bottle of champagne over this! I'm glad the sensible decision to put .co.uk registrants first has been made.
Ditto, earnings from sales of domains have dropped this year so much with indecision that I will join you invinsible but my glass only contains water, but I'll raise my glass with you ;-)

Well done Nominet, all seems fair

How quickly does everyone think it'll take for the domain market to recover, the .co.uk market that is?

(Goodbye .org.uk market, this has just pulled the rug!)

If you were to register a .co.uk today but the .org.uk already existed, will the .co.uk still qualify for the .uk?

.uk is not the only factor - Google's devaluation of EMDs has certainly affected things too.

How quickly does everyone think it'll take for the domain market to recover, the .co.uk market that is?

(Goodbye .org.uk market, this has just pulled the rug!)

so, does this mean everyone's portfolio value just went up in value by about 25% :D

I think the way the market has stagnated over the last few months, then 25% could be on the low side. I know, in hindsight, I've under-priced a few where the org.uk was older.

How would the five year rule apply when there is an owner of a .co.uk and a different owner of a .org.uk? Would the .co.uk owner still have up to the five years to decide if they want it?

As that would essentially mean .org.uk/.me.uk owners have no right at all to .uk?

If I had to guess I would assume it means that any competing owners have the same 5 year timeframe to register their INTEREST in acquiring the domain.

Then if the 5 year deadline passes and the first in line didn't take the domain name, then the second in line (I wonder who will get to go second if there are 3+ competing registrations) would then get the domain that day. In other words, there would be a day 5 years from the launch of .uk when all competing claims in which the .uk remains unregistered all get sorted out at once.

ALL THE ABOVE IS CONJECTURE. I'm sure Nominet will put out the actual process before long (or it may already be buried in one of the dozens of documents).

If you were to register a .co.uk today but the .org.uk already existed, will the .co.uk still qualify for the .uk?

Seems not. Nominet have put a cutoff of October 28, 2013 - presumably to prevent just such a landgrab attempt. In other words, nobody can exploit the information in their final published decision to jockey for a better position in advance of the .uk launch and undermine existing pre October 28th registrants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom