Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by bluerock, Nov 20, 2013.
.uk is not the only factor - Google's devaluation of EMDs has certainly affected things too.
Something that is amusing me is I know of at least one person who went on a buying spree picking up domain names (mostly .org.uk) where those domain names had the oldest registration date (because the much more valuable .co.uk had dropped in the past), in the hope that the oldest registrant idea would be the eventual decision. Goodbye to that notion.
Interesting. I hadn't seen that. Thanks for highlighting that point.
I think the way the market has stagnated over the last few months, then 25% could be on the low side. I know, in hindsight, I've under-priced a few where the org.uk was older.
If I had to guess I would assume it means that any competing owners have the same 5 year timeframe to register their INTEREST in acquiring the domain.
Then if the 5 year deadline passes and the first in line didn't take the domain name, then the second in line (I wonder who will get to go second if there are 3+ competing registrations) would then get the domain that day. In other words, there would be a day 5 years from the launch of .uk when all competing claims in which the .uk remains unregistered all get sorted out at once.
ALL THE ABOVE IS CONJECTURE. I'm sure Nominet will put out the actual process before long (or it may already be buried in one of the dozens of documents).
Why bother with that cut off date? Affects drops from then till Feb 2014.
Seems not. Nominet have put a cutoff of October 28, 2013 - presumably to prevent just such a landgrab attempt. In other words, nobody can exploit the information in their final published decision to jockey for a better position in advance of the .uk launch and undermine existing pre October 28th registrants.
I don think so no just asked the question here
I'd noticed that too and did do it with one domain name myself.
However, in light of the other posts regarding the cut off date, then a few more people will be doing it in the next few months.
No, it affects drops from then until February 2019.
If there was no cutoff date, but only the ".co.uk wins" rule, then in theory you could come along in say July 2015 and register a .co.uk if the .org.uk is slow off the mark/hasn't heard what's going on, and then instantly snatch the .uk from under their nose.
Setting a line in the sand prior to any information being published about the final release mechanism prevents gaming the system in that way.
Will be interesting to see how this is implemented in the EPP and common registrar domain registration modules!
Understand, but theoretically all the cream has gone years ago and only the drops will be affected.
So very good .co.uk domains that drop from after 28th October 2013 onwards will have no rights over .org.uk domains that pre-date the cut off.
A crumb of comfort for such .org.uk owners then, at least that's how i read it!
This argument will go long way to defend DRS cases where .co.uk and .uk is involved.
I think it's excellent news from Nominet - dispels uncertainty immediately and gets the market back on track again. No onerous or radical changes for the self-managed TAGs will be a relief to many. So it's a pat on the back from me; just wish the board hadn't muddied the water somewhat by keeping us in the dark for so long after the board meeting.
Onwards and upwards.
When I finally got this dreaded and much awaited email at 12.15 and read the title "Nominet ushers in new era for .uk names" my stomach sank and I went cold. :shock: I was sure of the worse and scared to read on, but then the relief on reading it a second time was immense! (couldn't take it in the first time!). After all the worry of the last year especially the last few weeks - I have not lost my livelihood and what I have built for the last 13 years!
The best possible result with it actually going ahead, other perhaps than an automatic ..uk .co.uk pairing and better than I could have possibly imagined.
For the business just a small additional outlay in terms of registration costs, which may hopefully be more than compensated by other benefits going forward. Still will have to wait and see if effected by any of the reserved names issue, but impact will only be relatively small.
Thanks to all of you out there who made such brilliant contributions to this cause and those who submitted such excellent consultation responses. This outcome has been won by you. - I love you all right now!
The pub is calling!
In respect of all drops after 28th October 2013; where any valuable .co.uk has dropped or does drop, the owner of either the .org.uk or the .me.uk might suddenly find their domain name is worth substantially more than it had been. Investors will likely beat a path to their doors in an attempt to acquire the .uk through the purchase of one of these lesser extensions.
there is no mention of me.uk being in line. is there?
It's the runt of the family, they don't wish to talk about it!
Separate names with a comma.