20i Reseller Hosting

.UK to go ahead according to BBC

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by bluerock, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foz

foz Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

With five years of transition, .co.uk is not going to die quickly. I imagine in 6-8 years it to be of some value. This could be a decade play. It all depends on .uk uptake and use.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. philiporchard United Kingdom

philiporchard Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

This is a good result for UK businesses that have built businesses on .co.uk domains. Also, they have time to manage their rebranding as it suits them.

Thanks to everyone who has voiced their concerns - which includes my MP.

4. timter51

timter51 Well-Known Member

Situations like this are a stalemate (I appreciate sparkly.co.uk is perhaps not at premium level, this is just an example). The guy who regged .org.uk is a domainer, as am I, so the .co.uk and .uk will be split between two domainers. No company is going to try and brand on a .uk without the .co.uk and vice versa due to almost guaranteed confusion amongst the public. So I guess it's a case of contacting the other guy and working something out!

5. cm1975 United Kingdom

cm1975 Well-Known Member

It may not take that long to achieve a decent sale on sparkly.co.uk. If sparkly.uk is priced above what someone is willing to play, then the co.uk could be a very attractive alternative.

In the past, the next best was org.uk, but next year it will be a far more formidable alternative in co.uk.

If it were me buying, then I'd probably still want both co.uk and .uk in the short term.

6. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

By that time the net will be awash with a 1000 new tld's and all this fuss will be proportionately less dramatic.

7. timter51

timter51 Well-Known Member

On the subject of sparkly.org.uk, the registrant uses a Canadian address. Where we with the whole UK-only thing?

8. tifosi United Kingdom

tifosi Well-Known Member

Apparently a physical address is not needed, just valid uk contact address so the uk forwarder addresses like the one Denys uses should in theory be ok.

9. Systreg Ireland

Systreg Well-Known Member

From some other posts it was being said that org.uk is now a pretty worthless third place name, I'm not seeing that myself, I still think org.uk is second best.

Org.uk was second to .co.uk, now .uk and .co.uk are pretty much one and the same, so org.uk is still second best in my eyes, as .uk's will go to the .co.uk owners, so not much of a change if any.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  10. cm1975 United Kingdom

cm1975 Well-Known Member

I don't think org.uk's are worthless, as there are only a limited number of potential domains available. I've been regging a few more lately. It's not to get the .uk, but because they were only 50p a go at Crazy Domains!

Funnily enough, I was thinking about co.uk and .uk being one and the same as well. That will initially be true on the whole, but there will be a point when we start to see some separation. For example -

• The .org.uk registrant has some how got the .uk
    • It's a fresh registration of the .uk
    • If they have been sold seperately
    • Someone has dumped the co.uk after getting the .uk

11. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Call it second place if it suits you. :) When there are only really two choices, if you're joining .co.uk and the forthcoming .uk as one and the same, and putting aside that most registrants aren't interested in anything else other than org.uk, that still makes org.uk last. :) I like org.uk for many specific uses. I'd like to see it promoted for charities and not for profits. There are reasons we have had different sld's!

12. thecat United Kingdom

thecat Active Member

Just for clarity - if I own abc.org.uk and abc.co.uk is regged by someone else (pre oct 2013) - even if they never reg abc.uk I have no rights to abc.uk?

Also how will they notify .co.uk users?

13. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Correct.

(from iPhone)

14. thecat United Kingdom

thecat Active Member

Thanks.

If I buy a .co.uk from someone on acorn today will I get the rights to the .uk?

15. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Yes, if that .co.uk was entitled to the .uk in the first place.

The right to the .uk is attached to the domain, not the registrant.

16. Systreg Ireland

Yes, rights the the .UK come with the domain, as long as it was registered prior to the cut off date, or if it is a newly registered domain that isn't registered in any other suffix.

17. thecat United Kingdom

thecat Active Member

Thanks guys, and not just for these responses. You've helped me stay up to date with proceedings!!!

18. mbignell United Kingdom

mbignell Active Member

Am i right in thinking, Say for example abc co uk is suspended as at oct 13 but the org uk etc are registered and current, If abc co uk drops and either gets caught by a catcher or Reregistered soon after it dropped, Does this mean that abc co uk would not be eligible for the UK and rights to the UK would go to the org uk or other ? because effectively abc co uk would be a " New" reg wouldn't it ?

Malc :confused:

19. Systreg Ireland

Malcolm, it appears that as long as axample.co.uk was registered in Nominets database, and is showing output in a Who-Is look up on Oct 28th at 11:59:59, if it then drops after that date and before the .UK launch date, example.co.uk still retains the rights to the .UK, as it was the domain eligible to it prior to the cut off date.

[edit]

To add, see Edwins post here which clarifies things: http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/uk-do...121251-how-understand-uk-release-process.html

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  20. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

There is no "second chance" mechanism ie you can't be "second in line" since there's no line, only a clear winner.

If the eligible .co.uk drops, no domain has the right to the .uk at that point even if .org.uk etc exist.

Only .co.uk domains can gain a right to the .uk after 28 October 2013.

That's why if the .co.uk was eligible, drops and gets re-registered it would have the right to the .uk again.

In other words:
    - if a .org.uk wasn't eligible on 28 October 2013 it will never be eligible
    - if a .me.uk or other extension wasn't eligible on 28 October 2013 it will never be eligible
    - a .co.uk might become eligible, even after 28 October 2013, if there's no eligible domain or if the eligible domain drops before launch day and therefore loses its chance at the .uk

21. mbignell United Kingdom

mbignell Active Member

Thanks Guys, I didn't see Edwin's post, Just read it

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.