20i Reseller Hosting

.UK to go ahead according to BBC

Discussion in '.UK Domain Name Consultations' started by bluerock, Nov 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Looks like it. It's not in the short press release, nor is it in the introduction, nor the Q&A.

Hopefully somebody will be able to get a definitive ruling from Nominet and update us at some point, but right now it looks like .me.uk is out of the running and it's a pure two horse race (.co.uk vs .org.uk)

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Whois-Search United Kingdom

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

4. invincible

invincible Well-Known Member

Are they still pushing the UK address requirement, therefore necessitating the requirement for an "address for service" for registrants based abroad?

(from iPhone)

5. Edwin

Hang on. I think I need to contradict myself!

From this document http://www.nominet.org.uk/how-participate/policy-development/IntroducingSecondLevelDomains/qanda

So it sounds like the order may be:
    1) .co.uk
    2) .org.uk
    3) any other extension with rights

However, this is also very interesting:

So (contradicting what I posted about 30 minutes ago - sorry) it sounds like it's completely pointless to be second in line, because that gives you no rights at all.

In other words, if there's a .co.uk that qualifies, then the .org.uk will NEVER be in line to beat general availability even if the .co.uk owner runs down the clock.

There's going to be the mother of all drop catching sessions 5 years from launch, that's for sure!

There will also be an interesting drop opportunity within the 5 year launch window because IF the first in line domain drops, then a strict reading of the above suggests the .uk will become available to register first come, first served as soon as the dropped domain is no longer blocking it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  6. Edwin

As long as they didn't have even a whiff of the decision prior to the 28 October 2013 cutoff date (which is unlikely, given that it hadn't even been taken then!) it shouldn't be a huge deal even if Nominet gave them a bit of a heads up since there was literally nothing they could do with that knowledge to manoever into a better position to secure the right .uk domains. Annoying, yes. Commercially significant, no. And that's only IF they even got advance notice - it doesn't take very long to blog a few paragraphs regurgitating facts from a press release and a BBC news story.

7. invincible

We might find that "drops" as we know them now no longer occur by then and there will be some other way of obtaining deleting domain names instead. We shall see.

(from iPhone)

8. Edwin

I keep reading this page again and again and confusing myself.
    http://www.nominet.org.uk/how-participate/policy-development/IntroducingSecondLevelDomains/qanda

It's not that it's particularly badly written, but it's having to handle so many edge cases (re. who gets what, especially between 28 October 2013 and launch) that I get lost.

Hopefully Nominet will follow up with some simple examples/diagrams, like the ones that the NZ nic put together to explain their contention resolution process for .nz vs existing NZ namespace extensions.

9. AssetDomains

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

This is going to be quite interesting if I'm reading it right then any co.uk that drops between now and the launch that doesn't have an .org.uk already the .uk should become available the day of launch.

I suppose most of the valuable names will already have a .org.uk but interesting to see what happens

10. invincible

Feel free to design some using Lucid Chart (free in the cloud - search Google) and share them with us. :)

(from iPhone)

11. max_rk

max_rk Active Member

This is only my opinion.

So avenue of misuse by some of domain like exampleco.uk has been opened. Calculator and Company Limited has registered a lot of exampleco.co.uk and stand in line to get their exampleco.uk. New wave of DRS to come.

http://www.nominet.org.uk/whois/lookup?query=orangeco.co.uk

This is only my opinion.

Max Karpis

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  12. Edwin

Good thing is, unlike UDRP, DRS has "3 strikes" rule and after that it's a virtually automatic loss.

13. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member Full Member

Can anyone see if they have clarified how they plan to proceed with the 1 and 2 letter domains? Are they still considering a special rule for these? Even though as it stands the current proposals would be the best outcome for them anyway.

14. Edwin

Looks like they're in the same boat as all other domains, but the release mechanism neatly solves the problem without having to write in a special "exception".

15. Lovekraft United Kingdom

Lovekraft Well-Known Member Full Member

Yes it does, so that would make sense. Hopefully they won't feel the need to tinker with that one any further.

16. max_rk

max_rk Active Member

It seems to be the case

big relief.

Edwin, what do you think about changes of legal battles by some against Nominet due to .uk?

17. Edwin

No idea. I have no extra info about that than anyone else has.

18. timter51

timter51 Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Completely late to the party here. So .co.uk holders get first dibs no matter what? For example, I caught sparkly.co.uk recently when the .org.uk was registered by someone in Oct, I imagine with .uk in mind. Will I get sparkly.uk?

19. AssetDomains

AssetDomains Well-Known Member

Not 100% sure on this yet but it would seem org.uk has first rights

20. cm1975 United Kingdom

cm1975 Well-Known Member

It looks like sparkly.uk would go to sparkly.org.uk

21. timter51

timter51 Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Bugger it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.