Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

.UK to go ahead according to BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone see if they have clarified how they plan to proceed with the 1 and 2 letter domains? Are they still considering a special rule for these? Even though as it stands the current proposals would be the best outcome for them anyway.

Looks like they're in the same boat as all other domains, but the release mechanism neatly solves the problem without having to write in a special "exception".

Looks like they're in the same boat as all other domains, but the release mechanism neatly solves the problem without having to write in a special "exception".

Yes it does, so that would make sense. Hopefully they won't feel the need to tinker with that one any further.

It seems to be the case

big relief.

Edwin, what do you think about changes of legal battles by some against Nominet due to .uk?

Completely late to the party here. So .co.uk holders get first dibs no matter what? For example, I caught sparkly.co.uk recently when the .org.uk was registered by someone in Oct, I imagine with .uk in mind. Will I get sparkly.uk?

Completely late to the party here. So .co.uk holders get first dibs no matter what? For example, I caught sparkly.co.uk recently when the .org.uk was registered by someone in Oct, I imagine with .uk in mind. Will I get sparkly.uk?

Not 100% sure on this yet but it would seem org.uk has first rights

It looks like sparkly.uk would go to sparkly.org.uk

Bugger it.

With five years of transition, .co.uk is not going to die quickly. I imagine in 6-8 years it to be of some value. This could be a decade play. It all depends on .uk uptake and use.

This is a good result for UK businesses that have built businesses on .co.uk domains. Also, they have time to manage their rebranding as it suits them.

Thanks to everyone who has voiced their concerns - which includes my MP.

With five years of transition, .co.uk is not going to die quickly. I imagine in 6-8 years it to be of some value. This could be a decade play. It all depends on .uk uptake and use.

Situations like this are a stalemate (I appreciate sparkly.co.uk is perhaps not at premium level, this is just an example). The guy who regged .org.uk is a domainer, as am I, so the .co.uk and .uk will be split between two domainers. No company is going to try and brand on a .uk without the .co.uk and vice versa due to almost guaranteed confusion amongst the public. So I guess it's a case of contacting the other guy and working something out!

It may not take that long to achieve a decent sale on sparkly.co.uk. If sparkly.uk is priced above what someone is willing to play, then the co.uk could be a very attractive alternative.

In the past, the next best was org.uk, but next year it will be a far more formidable alternative in co.uk.

If it were me buying, then I'd probably still want both co.uk and .uk in the short term.

By that time the net will be awash with a 1000 new tld's and all this fuss will be proportionately less dramatic.

On the subject of sparkly.org.uk, the registrant uses a Canadian address. Where we with the whole UK-only thing?

Apparently a physical address is not needed, just valid uk contact address so the uk forwarder addresses like the one Denys uses should in theory be ok.

In the past, the next best was org.uk, but next year it will be a far more formidable alternative in co.uk.

From some other posts it was being said that org.uk is now a pretty worthless third place name, I'm not seeing that myself, I still think org.uk is second best.

Org.uk was second to .co.uk, now .uk and .co.uk are pretty much one and the same, so org.uk is still second best in my eyes, as .uk's will go to the .co.uk owners, so not much of a change if any.

Last edited:
From some other posts it was being said that org.uk is now a pretty worthless third place name, I'm not seeing that myself, I still think org.uk is second best.

Org.uk was second to .co.uk, now .uk and .co.uk are pretty much one and the same, so org.uk is still second best in my eyes, as .uk's will go to the .co.uk owners, so not much of a change if any.

I don't think org.uk's are worthless, as there are only a limited number of potential domains available. I've been regging a few more lately. It's not to get the .uk, but because they were only 50p a go at Crazy Domains!

Funnily enough, I was thinking about co.uk and .uk being one and the same as well. That will initially be true on the whole, but there will be a point when we start to see some separation. For example -

• The .org.uk registrant has some how got the .uk
  • It's a fresh registration of the .uk
  • If they have been sold seperately
  • Someone has dumped the co.uk after getting the .uk

Just for clarity - if I own abc.org.uk and abc.co.uk is regged by someone else (pre oct 2013) - even if they never reg abc.uk I have no rights to abc.uk?

Also how will they notify .co.uk users?

If I buy a .co.uk from someone on acorn today will I get the rights to the .uk

Yes, if that .co.uk was entitled to the .uk in the first place.

The right to the .uk is attached to the domain, not the registrant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom