20i Domains

UKRAC

Discussion in 'Nominet General Information' started by monaghan, Jun 2, 2021.

1. sigh

sigh Active Member

It's 'advisory'. There are no 'hands' for it to fall into. Everything decided and talked about can be (and will if need be) totally ignored if Nominet deem it not in the best interest for the company. But hey - we had the chance of a second EGM and chose to do it their way.. too late now. That'll be the cry.

'The UKRAC is established as an advisory body only and does not have executive powers.'

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Moderator Staff Member

OK, I'll bite, explain to me what benefit it would bring to a small business to put forward someone to sit on a Nominet committee just to be a yes man? I can see it being a "jolly" to an employee of a large registrar in a similar way that a NED "appears" to be handed around the big players and used as part of a bonus system, but a small business would be much less able to afford a jolly and is far more likely to either not suggest anyone stand or actually put someone forward who has a genuine interest.

Without "the little guys" giving input, the domain deletion policy would have most probably ended up with the "big guys" backing automated transfer to auction platform after the suspend phase with only the dross that nobody sees value in being left to the usual drop cycle effectively handing the secondary market over to a few large registrars.

It's actually quite enlightening to sit in a meeting and see how the big guys play ball with Nominet, you should try it sometime!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sigh

sigh Active Member

Ok I detect this is turning a little hostile. We don't all share the same opinions. You're an optimist. I am a pragmatist. I look at how they've acted since I joined in about 2001. So far there is nothing to indicate to me that this is any different to the past. Ultimately they financially benefit (personally I'm sure) from some decisions. They are still not going to give anyone the option to stop any of the decisions they want to make. In fact it's not even a couple of months since they totally ignored a democratic wish and started to negate changes they were *forced* to make. I'm out of this conversation now as my personal opinion has no bearing on what you're all ultimately going to do but if we're going to play a game of 'my meetings are bigger than your meetings' I think we've reached the end of the conversation ;)

5. monaghan United Kingdom

monaghan Moderator Staff Member

Well with that over, back to the original question, anyone up for standing?

6. webber

webber Active Member

7. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

Alex, I've sent you a pm.

8. xdnet

xdnet Member

I do indeed plan to stand currently.

I see this as the pragmatic approach, being part of the discussion. Hopefully not being bound by the usual legal duties and employment contract as with NEDs, the UKRAC members _should_ be more free to be honest, and publicly engage on the issues openly.

• Like Like x 4
  9. CreativeMix United Kingdom

CreativeMix Active Member

Eleanor Bradley has been given a massive opportunity to move the company back to its core values and in so doing make her interim CEO position permanent. The fact she hasn't shows a serious lack of business acumen/cunning and epitomises the poor quality of the executive team at Nominet.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  10. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

At this juncture, I think the Board has a final opportunity to rebuild trust, if they appoint Nigel Titley as Chair. That wouldn't solve the mistrust of the existing Board, but it would be a beginning. Personally I believe it would be better if the UKRAC concept was scrapped, and members were consulted on a range of ways in which they can ensure their views are represented.

As things stand, there is such profound lack of trust in this 'remnant' Board, that I suggest it is a reasonable working assumption that they are playing the medium/long game - essentially playing for time - so they can regroup and consolidate their controlling clique, and its close relationship with the top few favoured customers.

At present they are trying to lull and placate members, in the hope of winning back some middle ground, as well as basically exhausting everyone with endless 'listening processes' etc.

But once they've firmed up their power, I very much suspect they would like to change the whole governance set up, dislocate members from registrars, and probably change the voting caps in favour of their largest customers.

I would love to see Nigel appointed Chair, and I'd like to think their motives were genuine, but on past record there are few reasons to trust them.

So we shall see.

Personally I take my lead from Simon Blackler, because he had the courage to put himself on the line, and I feel he holds the moral high ground - certainly compared to the Nominet Board.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. webber

webber Active Member

Great stuff, Dan! Hopefully you will coordinate this with Simon so that you have the full support of PublicBenefit.
    I'm sure an email from him recommending members who to vote in the RAC will go a long way.
    I assume you would fall in the mid/smaller registrars category, so we still need two candidates for secondary market category.
    Susannah, I think this is where you could step in?

Again, this is not because we agree with the proposed UKRAC or because we all of the sudden think this board is actually going to do anything good, but rather so that we don't let these seats fall in the hands of people who could do more harm

• Like Like x 1
  12. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Active Member

I take my lead entirely from Simon, because I don't think it's optimal to work at cross purposes. You are correct in your analysis that there need to be two candidates who are clearly in the 'third category' described as members who basically use their membership to register domains for themselves, and who oppose the performance and continuation of the 'remnant' Board implacably. Anyone here in that category?

Just to mention, Cyprian, that my personal view is that you are one of the people I trust most because of your implacable critique of the Nominet Board. You really 'get' the issues. I would happily nominate you.

These things are being discussed, obviously, so drop me a private message, Cyprian, for a conversation.

13. xdnet

xdnet Member

I have let Simon know now, I haven't asked for his endorsement but certainly wouldn't say no :)

My election statement does make clear that I stand by the PublicBenefit.uk goals and principals however, and I will focus on transparency and policies which actually make sense for registrars to implement!

I did select the mid/smaller registrar category on the application, technically I do hold way too many domains in my own portfolio but the fact I've yet to figure out how to sell them tells me clearly it's not my segment to represent ;)

• Like Like x 1