Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

1and1

cav

Reaction score
This is rather odd; one of my old domain names that I have through 1and1 which I set to "not renew" at expiry has been renewed by 1and1 (25.09). They have not invoiced me for it (yet) and I have checked my Nominet account and it is still registered in my name. I have checked my 1and1 account and it is no longer in my list of domains!

I think there's a grace period where you essentially have the rights, but you don't own it until you pay. I think that's 30-45 days, probably depends on the registrar. If it was going to auto-renew, it would have done so on day 1.

I don't think this is domain registrar specific, so maybe drop it in https://www.acorndomains.co.uk/forums/general-board.18/ and you'll get a response from an experienced domainer (i.e. not me).

It's the fact they have renewed it another two years in my name without my consent. I set it to "not renew" so I expect it to go through the usual Nominet cycle of suspension. They even sent me an email telling me it is expiring tomorrow because I opted not to renew it.

Similar thing has happened to me.
I only noticed due to logging into Nominet.

Just to clarify - are these renewals? I was aware that Ionos 1&1 and Fasthosts had *registered* unregistered .uk domains without the ascribed 'registrant' requesting the registration.

But are you saying they are also renewing domains people already hold, if the domain name is allowed to expire?

Because that would be doubly strange and unorthodox if so.

Perhaps someone else bought it through 1AND1

That would be fine Ben. What I find odd is that Mark reports that it was "renewed in my name"... for two years. It may just have been a one-off quirk, or some other rational explanation.

Because Ionos 1&1 used registrants' names (without their consent) to register ROR .uk domains, I'm just intrigued by Mark's earlier comment. It would be a really bad precedent if Registrars started renewing their Registants' abandoned domains when the process dictates they must drop.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom