Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Acorn Domains Forum - New Platform Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys actually check for notifications from stuff on here?

I'm quite surprised tbh

Nothing that interesting happening here that can't wait for a routine visit

Often there is truth in this...

But...

... Your post triggered the email to make me return and see if anyone had the same opinion...

Other reasons for notification with content... for sale.. offers... ask a question and get a helpful response...

Subscribing to a thread which develops fast (e.g. some Nominet 'live action' threads) is also advantageous... In fact to get ALL responses to the thread and not just the 'next post' would be great also...

Personally... easier for me to keep up with things whilst I do other work

I just log in as and when I get a second using a bookmark to the 'new posts' section; as long as that doesn't disappear, I'm happy!

I'm equally surprised you think you "check for notifications", in an age of smart phones/tablets, with widgets/gadgets/slides, you don't "check", you get a bing or a little box in the corner of one of your displays telling you something interesting maybe going on. With a few swipes and 20 seconds you can determine if its a tool or worth taking the time out and barely miss a beat while working.

Do you guys actually check for notifications from stuff on here?

I'm quite surprised tbh

Nothing that interesting happening here that can't wait for a routine visit

I'm equally surprised you think you "check for notifications", in an age of smart phones/tablets, with widgets/gadgets/slides, you don't "check", you get a bing or a little box in the corner of one of your displays telling you something interesting maybe going on

Now I've even more shocked :eek:

You use your phone to get notifications from here.. damn, that would annoy me no end

I have an email I want to get notifications from, I have another email I sign up to sites with that I don't mind if it gets spammed because I don't check it

I didn't even know until a few days ago that the forum would email you when you get a PM :lol:

On the new forum, will there be an option when on a phone to read the forum in the web version, or will it only be a mobile version available? I don't like mobile versions of websites, I always view the web version so that it looks the same as viewing on a laptop, it's much easier to view that way.

I didn't even know until a few days ago that the forum would email you when you get a PM :lol:

On the new forum, will there be an option when on a phone to read the forum in the web version, or will it only be a mobile version available? I don't like mobile versions of websites, I always view the web version so that it looks the same as viewing on a laptop, it's much easier to view that way.

The new site has no 'mobile version', hopefully thats what you wanted to hear. It is responsive so there is just one version of the site that resizes to screen.

Regards to Ian-d and the comment about being able to access new posts, yes there is an equivalent and we are also showing latest posts and latest threads in the right sidebar :) throughout the site.

It is responsive (mobile) , if what you mean is can you have the ability to have desktop view on your mobile too and therefore not use responsive then thats something we can look at yes :)

@ Admin and AdamH, yes, that's what I mean, it sometimes says "view web version" at the bottom of the page on sites when viewed on a phone, and that's how I view them.

I have some sites with responsive themes on them, they fill the screen but it doesn't let you pinch the screen to zoom out, so I can't read anything as the writing is too small.

When looking at the Acorn forum on my phone, it's like a miniature version of the forum I see when viewing on my laptop, but it lets me pinch the screen to make it larger so I can read it.

Migration Plan - We are scheduling the migration to a new platform for this Thursday to Friday. This site will go into maintenance mode on Thursday evening and will be resurrected late on Good Friday. When it comes back online please can I ask for patience and calm heads. Thank you.

Calm heads ? I wanted to wear an a-board declaring the end if nigh, acorn is down :p

Sunday would be a better option, when all but us sad acts are with family (I'm working).

Calm heads ? I wanted to wear an a-board declaring the end if nigh, acorn is down :p

Sunday would be a better option, when all but us sad acts are with family (I'm working).

Sundays are the quietest in general, but we'd like a bit of a buffer so if thing do not go as planned or a repeat import is needed then we have Sat/Sun to fall back on and resolve any outstanding issues or if all does go to plan we have Sat/Sun to fix small bugs and refine before everyones active again next week.

The activity isnt generally great across the weekend at all so its not going to effect too much not being Open for most of Friday :)

I can't access the "Announcement: Site Upgrade" pinned thread - I get a "you do not have permission to access this page" error message.

OK well here is the full content....

Acorn Domains will be undergoing a major update to a new platform on March 24 2016 so will be unavailable for up to 24 hours from around 8pm GMT.

I've considered your feedback and decided to add back in the content of replies in subscribed thread notifications.

TapaTalk users please be aware that sometimes Tapatalk can take a little while to catch up that a site has moved platforms ( especially when this place is running an older version of tapatalk ).

As a result you may experience not being able to connect to the site via Tapatalk until everything propagates at their end.

In the meantime you can be daring and use the responsive website instead :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom