20i Reseller Hosting

Closed thread?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by dropsnatcher, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member Full Member

Lol, pitch needs work.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Hay

Hay Active Member Exclusive Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Ben Thomas

Susannah, remind me to hire you if I ever need some private investigation work doing lol.

5. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

I don't think we need to delve into peoples history if it's not relating to catching and proving working relationships which go against Nominets connected persons rule

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Hay

Both of which have created nominet accounts!

7. Ben Thomas

This is exactly what is happening here though, is it not?

8. Ben Thomas

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

Murray, thank you for your point. I have edited out one section, because you made me think.

With regard to the company side of things, I hoped it might flag up further info, which 'Marshall' seems to have done.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

Tags?

11. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

12. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

The PDF of the complaint Denys has sent to Nominet, embedded in his latest blog, is very very thought-provoking.

I do recommend anyone concerned about due process reads it (many of you may have already).

13. Whois-Search United Kingdom

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. meslam123

meslam123 Active Member

I won't comment on Denys recent post, but I will quote his last comment.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

I'm not going to say Nominet are doing this on purpose, but we all know that they are reviewing how do release dropping domains, and frankly this chaos will just demonstrate why they may feel the system has to be changed. I will be having some related phone conversations with individuals at Nominet this week, because all this feeds into what I have already been discussing with them.

This is no way to administer the UK's DNS, which is important to our national infrastructure and communities. As the saying goes:

"Death concentrates the mind."

16. Ben Thomas

Denys just replied to it. Looks like Kalin dropped himself in it.

Perhaps they are doing it on purpose. But if we're going to enter the shadow realm of conspiracy theories, here's a good one.

What if Nominet know exactly what they're going to do with dropcatching? End DAC, etc. and they already have a date in mind when they will announce it. What if they are behind this whole thing, or at least funding it. 1. yes, to cause chaos and give them something to excuse themselves away with when they change the system to a totally unfair one. 2. to make some money in the short time on their own products? Perhaps they're getting a cut somewhere from all these domains. Perhaps it some way of keeping the best stock without needing to keep it themselves. That last part seems farfetched (even for me and I know who Alex Jones is).

One thing is for certain and blindly obvious, this group of Bulgarians have broke the rules and Nominet is seemingly doing nothing.

17. Hay

18. Whois-Search United Kingdom

Whois-Search Well-Known Member

I have a slightly different conspiracy theory....

The ROR drop tiers and quotas focused minds back on dropcatching: https://3million.uk/open-letter/

Three things then happened at the same time:

1. People like Kalin, Rob and even Denys started to get more tags to compete (Kalin even applied for those Bulgarian tags just before the ROR drop). Nominet then brought in Photo ID checks because of all the Bulgarians applying to be members.

2. The secondary market brands of large registrars (SnapNames, Sedo, Godaddy) then wanted a bigger piece of the pie and got more quota during the ROR drop. The idea of drop lists was then discussed at Wotton House first at the Key Partners event and then at the Registrar Day.

3. Nominet then built the system for drop lists with the ROR drop. The drop list files even had a time stamp of 2pm on them. You can also go and download .london drop lists from Nominet with a time stamp for each domain now.

Then as that happened...

There were complaints made to the Nominet board about the DAC Flaws. Sean (Gill) has written about that on here.

So Nominet are simply now waiting to implement (3) above as soon as the consultation report is published (after the next board meeting):

https://www.nominet.uk/uk-domains/policies/2019-uk-policy-consultation/

Don’t be surprised if (2) eventually gets more EPP quota but at least the DAC will be made redundant from (1).

• Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  19. Ben Thomas

I just hope it will be a fair system for all. But my instinct tells me it won’t be.

That's interesting. Do you think they'll have exact drop times for domains? How would that work if you have example.uk at 3:46am and example.co.uk at 14:56 or something. You just use all your creates and catch one domain? Unless you deposit 90 grand lol. What if they just keep the existing system, close the DAC cache flaw somehow and release droplists every day, or for every 90 days or whatever with exact drop times. Therefore, the DAC wouldn't be hammered all day every day, just at the times where people want to catch specific domains. @Whois-Search thoughts?

Also want @marshall to weigh in on this

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  20. Siusaidh United Kingdom

Siusaidh Active Member

I think we're talking about relative degrees of fairness.

You probably know my view by now: the system will not be fair unless anyone in the whole population has access to domains at the point of dropping.

The farce of this week, and the ongoing carving out of large numbers of best domains by a small group of people, simply demonstrates that this system is weird.

I will be busy discussing the obvious counter-argument with Nominet this coming week, given the ammunition this fiasco provides for a completely different method of administering names when they expire and drop.

These seeming cartels of catchers, allegedly (and in my opinion pretty obviously) colluding to hijack the process, have provided me with the perfect platform.

Fairness (and a PR opportunity to raise a % of proceeds for charity) is indisputably better than the shambles that has developed.

And yes, I know that an auction process means those with money can bid more, but that already happens in delay reaction on auction sites - it's supply and demand. Except then everyone is at the whims of the seller, who may warehouse certain names for years, until they choose to sell. A direct auction at drop point is clearly the most transparent way to make all domains available and accessible to far more people, from Day 1.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Hay

No need for me to weigh in, I know nothing, im just an amateur :)