Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Comparing Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pistonheads.com. Personally I'd avoid buying new unless you can wangle a £2k scrappage discount in Poland! I'd buy something second hand, relatively new with full service history and you'd be hard to go wrong and the savings are huge. Look at Japanese cars if you want something that will be extremely reliable, cheap to maintain and in most cases hold its value better.

Has anyone got an opinion on diesel versus petrol? makes much difference?

That really depends what your priorities are. If it's driving pleasure I would say petrol is normally better than diesel. The only way to tell if it's for you is to go on a long test drive.

Rgds

petrol versus diesel,if you are considering a 4x4 then diesel only because petrol is a waste of time and effort no torque in low gears,but with my sensible hat on and having kids if you are using it for the "chelsea tractor" effect which is basically never seeing a hill in it's life then a petrol will suffice.

That really depends what your priorities are. If it's driving pleasure I would say petrol is normally better than diesel. The only way to tell if it's for you is to go on a long test drive.

Rgds

Half the problem with buying a car is I don't drive yet, will be starting to learn soon, girlfriend has been learning for a few months on and off, test soon so it's a learning curve for both of us. Why is petrol better for driving pleasure and what exactly do you mean? I should read more but I've been told diesel is noisier and I hate noise.

I found this guide which is very informative, Petrol v diesel - Your car - Which? Advice was just wondering if anything really bad about diesel in the long run.

petrol versus diesel,if you are considering a 4x4 then diesel only because petrol is a waste of time and effort no torque in low gears,but with my sensible hat on and having kids if you are using it for the "chelsea tractor" effect which is basically never seeing a hill in it's life then a petrol will suffice.

We'll be going to the mountains a lot which will require off road / 4x4 and may well be carrying kayaks on top etc and may need to tow occasionally, if a long holiday the harleys will be on the back if they can fit, I'm sure they can. Looking for a safe car as well, naturally. Children are a few years down the line, if at all, nice to think they might be on the agenda one day. Thanks for replies.

Half the problem with buying a car is I don't drive yet, will be starting to learn soon, girlfriend has been learning for a few months on and off, test soon so it's a learning curve for both of us. Why is petrol better for driving pleasure and what exactly do you mean? I should read more but I've been told diesel is noisier and I hate noise.

I found this guide which is very informative, Petrol v diesel - Your car - Which? Advice was just wondering if anything really bad about diesel in the long run.

Even though diesel engines have improved a lot, they still don't feel as responsive as a petrol and there is often a slight delay before you get an acceleration response. Petrol engines respond quicker when you press the accelerator and can be more free revving and smoother, which makes driving more rewarding.

That said, for a 4x4, a diesel engine would still be a wise choice, particularly if you want to tow something, because diesel engines have more torque or "pull", so towing is much easier with a diesel engine. I'm not sure that I'd buy a big 4x4 for my very first car though ... what about a smaller 4x4 car?

Rgds

Even though diesel engines have improved a lot, they still don't feel as responsive as a petrol and there is often a slight delay before you get an acceleration response. Petrol engines respond quicker when you press the accelerator and can be more free revving and smoother, which makes driving more rewarding.

That said, for a 4x4, a diesel engine would still be a wise choice, particularly if you want to tow something, because diesel engines have more torque or "pull", so towing is much easier with a diesel engine. I'm not sure that I'd buy a big 4x4 for my very first car though ... what about a smaller 4x4 car?

Rgds

Smaller 4x4... any suggestions would be welcome.

Smaller 4x4... any suggestions would be welcome.

I'll make some suggestions ...

Audi A4 Allroad
Car review: Audi A4 Allroad (2009 - )

Subaru Forrester very capable off road
Latest model:
Car review: Subaru Forester III (from 2008)
Previous model:
Car review: Subaru Forester II (2002 - )

Nissan X-Trail, big but worth considering:
Car review: Nissan X-Trail (2007 - )

Nissan Murano:
Car review: Nissan Murano SUV (2008 - )

Skoda Octavia II Scout 4x4:
Skoda Octavia Scout 2.0 TDI Reviews | Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI | Skoda 2.0 | Octavia TDI
Car review: Skoda Octavia II (2004 - )

Skoda Yeti
Car review: Skoda Yeti SUV (2009 - )
Skoda Yeti review - Telegraph
Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI (2009) CAR review | Road Testing Reviews | Car Magazine Online

Skoda's are now pretty decent cars, very good value for money.

There are probably more but I've got to do some work now!!

Rgds

Thanks, I'll have a butchers and submit them for refusal by the other half ha also suggested the audi q5

I don't drive yet, will be starting to learn soon, girlfriend has been learning for a few months on and off, test soon so it's a learning curve for both of us.

I would suggest getting something smaller to learn on and grow into as passing a test does not mean you can drive.

If you dive right in to a 'big' new car you could have costly issues sharpish, assuming you are not wrapped around a tree.

I would suggest getting something smaller to learn on and grow into as passing a test does not mean you can drive.

If you dive right in to a 'big' new car you could have costly issues sharpish, assuming you are not wrapped around a tree.

The trouble is, safer in a bigger car if still respect what you're driving and who's around and the safety features in the XC60 are very good, laser brakes etc. we could get a smaller car but we wouldnt be happy with it and would be quite a waste and we want to go out into the country and the mountains.

We'll be going to the mountains a lot which will require off road / 4x4 and may well be carrying kayaks on top etc and may need to tow occasionally, if a long holiday the harleys will be on the back if they can fit, I'm sure they can. Looking for a safe car as well, naturally. Children are a few years down the line, if at all, nice to think they might be on the agenda one day. Thanks for replies.

Dont forget to have an ash tray fitted! ;)

you should have got that ash tray!!

Attachments

• offroad.jpg
    offroad.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 103
Why go smaller. Sell something and get that bmw x6 beast. Thou i don't mind th skoda yeti. If you live in the sticks i'd look 4 a decent land or range rover. Simplicity means most people can fix it and the fact its a proper off roader not some pretend x trail thing. Also a gangstar motor! Escaping across the park on police camera action looks far more professional in a rangey!

it's another ten to fifteen thousand, it's a bit too much right now. I very much doubt I will have many offers of finance above the minimum.

Get a range rover. Mrs will love the leather and extras. You get 2 look like a pimp even in an old one. Sure you can find something at a reasonable price. Bullet proof. Normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom