Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Corona self-employed support - claim from 15th May

They should never have introduced the super spreader activity of "eat out to help out".

But don't you see? They want this. They want to appear like they're helping us. They're doing us a favour. They're not. They're sat there, in parliament, laughing about how they're killing two birds with one stone. HERD IMMUNITY. This is part of a bigger jigsaw, it's much more complicated than it seems from the face of it.

They should have enforced the wearing of masks much earlier.

Why? Why do you think masks make a shite bit of difference? Let me ask you a question. If you were to wake up tomorrow and decide to sand your stairs down, or a floorboard, or something else. Perhaps you want to sand some paint off a wall. What mask would you choose to wear? A cotton mask? A disposable mask? No. You'd choose a respirator, with a filter than is appropriate for the particles you're dealing with.

I mean, we could sit here and debate this all day. But if you sit down and think about how insane this is, you'll realise we're all being played.

You unfortuntely don't agree because your earlier question asked whether anyone has experienced the fall out of covid which suggests to me it isn't really a thing. Flat earther eh!

Masks help, but don't eliminate it. A mask for sanding down wood reduces the risk, but not eliminate it either. Unfortuntely masks do give some a sense of invisibility. I hope at the very least you are doing your part, staying safe, wearing a mask where required, despite your personal views.

Not sure why anyone would disagree with my assertion that the government use accurate data, when asking it's people to accept another, economically and mentally, damaging lockdown. I'm all for everyone taking reasonable steps, wearing masks in shops, and socially distancing to avoid catching or spreading covid 19. The vast majority were already doing that, and I think it was having an effect. After all, who wants to catch this virus? For example I've not heard of one hairdresser locally who has caught or spread the virus? They work in very close proximity to customers yet I see no evidence that businesses like this are the cause of the uptick in cases.

On a personal level I know of quite a few people who have had the virus. Two close family members. One had it quite bad, but didn't require any medical assistance. The other had very mild symptons. Three of my brother's friends had the virus. Again one had it quite bad (in bed for a week) and the other two quite mildly. It is a very nasty virus, worse than the flu but not as bad as we feared back in March. We've got to learn to live with it. We need to protect the vulnerable. And we all need to take some personal responsibility if we don't want to catch it. We also need stability from the government, I believe the latest lockdown was a kneejerk reaction to a set of dodgy data and scenarios. You can't expect small business owners and individuals to accept total ruin, and severe hardship, both mentally and financially, based on inaccurate data.

Last edited:
I'm all for Sweden's policy, I can't see any other way forward for long term other than continuing with pointless lockdowns crushing the economy and society.

Pretty simple solution:

1. inform the population of risk
  2. allow some to isolate if they wish
  3. let others continue with normal life in a reduced way at their own risk
The collateral damage of lockdown on the population is now clearly far outweighing the benefit.

The economy is in ruins and they plan to drag this out until Spring/Summer next year? What a fucking farce! I'm sick of it. My business is in ruins, I've just had a baby girl and it's Christmas coming up, I have to move house because my landlord is moving his parents back into where we are renting because they can't afford their mortgage any more! It's absolutely ridiculous. And there's no money! These Bounce Back Loan top ups are more than useless, I know exactly 0 people who have been accepted for them, plenty of rejections – strange! Sick of it.

I feel for you. This Gov is a disgrace. To treat the public with such utter contempt by using out of date "pumped up" data to scare the shit out of people without even an impact assessment on the collateral damage to justify another lockdown again is unforgivable. And the media for not reporting balanced views from other experts and holding the Gov to account is just as disgraceful..

Third SEISS grant is available from today but has different conditions attached, most importantly:

Before you make a claim, you must decide if the impact on your business will cause a significant reduction in your trading profits for the tax year you report them in.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a...ovid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme

From what I understand the new wording means if you've got say 10 clients currently paused, and havent paid an invoice for 10 months because they are in a profession which has not been able to trade understandably, i.e beauty salons, events, hospitality Therefore being a reduction in profits. BUT you've made changes to your revenue streams, taken on new clients, diverisfied and therefore your yearly trading profits will be similar or better than previous years, then you shouldnt be claiming this 3rd grant.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know anybody severely affected by catching COVID-19?

Yes I know quite a few, some have died and others have been in comas and others have recovered and some with long covid symptoms.

The most recent person to die from covid is my mother in law and she passed on the 21st of November and had a slow drawn out death over 4 days, literally slowly suffocating to death.

From what I understand the new wording means if you've got say 10 clients currently paused, and havent paid an invoice for 10 months because they are in a profession which has not been able to trade understandably, i.e beauty salons, events, hospitality Therefore being a reduction in profits. BUT you've made changes to your revenue streams, taken on new clients, diverisfied and therefore your yearly trading profits will be similar or better than previous years, then you shouldnt be claiming this 3rd grant.

This is for the period November 1st to January 29th 2021, and is based only on that period, not your annual trading performance:

To make a claim for the third grant your business must have had a new or continuing impact from coronavirus between 1 November 2020 and 29 January 2021, which you reasonably believe will have a significant reduction in your profits.

The key phrase is "significant reduction". For many, today is too early to say whether covid will significantly reduce profits since we are only a month into this three month period.

Significant isn't defined, but they do give examples in the link given earlier.

You must make your claim on or before 29 January 2021.

Last edited:
Yes I know quite a few, some have died and others have been in comas and others have recovered and some with long covid symptoms.

The most recent person to die from covid is my mother in law and she passed on the 21st of November and had a slow drawn out death over 4 days, literally slowly suffocating to death.

Really sorry to hear that.

Significant isn't defined, but they do give examples in the link given earlier.

They want and need people spending the economy is doing terribly: the chances of them ever questioning the need for a claim are all but zero

Out of curiosity, does anybody know anybody severely affected by catching COVID-19?

I had it. I got away very lightly on the grand scheme of things and didnt get tested at the time just rode it out but it's not something i'd want to go through again. Legs buckling... couldnt walk... chest is still not right.

So you don't have to pay it back then, even if you have other incomes?

To make a claim for the third grant your business must have had a new or continuing impact from coronavirus between 1 November 2020 and 29 January 2021, which you reasonably believe will have a significant reduction in your profits.

The grant does not need to be repaid if you’re eligible, but will be subject to Income Tax and self-employed National Insurance and must be reported on your 2020 to 2021 Self Assessment tax return.

It's phrased "you reasonably believe will have" so if you believe it will then claim and as long as you're eligible it doesn't need to be repaid

They want and need people spending the economy is doing terribly: the chances of them ever questioning the need for a claim are all but zero

Don't think that is the case: if they simply wanted people to claim to spend they wouldn't have changed the rules.

God, thats awful. Sorry to hear. That's the thing about this.... it's a bit of a lottery. Some get it and breeze through it, some die horribly. I don't understand why the 'this is a made up conspiricy' monger can't see that it's not about the individual. It's about who they give it too and how they may not be so lucky.

My sister's a GP, caught it in March, and has been off work since due to fatigue and heart palpitations. Has been awful.

Good friend of ours works the critical care ward and said it has been the worse experience of her life; the cases horrific. She spent a period of time away from her young children to reduce the risk of them getting it. Another friend who suffers from severe asthma was hospitalized on contracting it, spent a week very ill, and has been admitted to hospital several times since because of ongoing aggravation as a result. Unfortunately though the 'flat earthers' will continue to claim it isn't serious, or is a conspiracy; I just consider them victims of stupidity.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom