20i Domains

flip.uk - .UK Domain Auctions and Marketplace

Discussion in 'Domain Tools' started by lazarus, May 3, 2020.

1. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

You don't appear to be stupid, so please stop trolling and acting immature.

You can't honestly think that taking a snapshot of a very specific time and comparing them, shows anything.

Compare the last 30 days of sales, which is a better average and you'll have a very different answer.

Also buying on flip to sell on DL to prove that is just inherently flawed.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

Flip needs to find ways to entice higher value domains.

I could list one on there for 15-20k but it would be a risk compared to DL. If it doesn't get many eyeballs, I can't expect it to have the same level of activity.

For example, offering multiple email blasts over the course of the auction to registered users on the site, if you can bring a high value domain to the site.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  4. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

s
    thats an interesting idea

5. Ben Thomas

Yes, it’s called time and more traffic.
    Nobody is going to list premium domains for auction on Flip at the moment, because they could sell for much less.

An example of this was when I sold Cumbria.uk after last years RoR drop. Instead of listing on DL I took a chance and listed it on UKBO. I think it would have gotten more interest on DL, because there’s more traffic going through it. In the end it sold for a very low price. Same for diving.uk which went for less than £500 IIRC

6. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

I doubt you'd be guaranteed 15-20k for anything at the moment. The market seems pretty tanked at the moment along with everything else. I was the winner of one those "low value , low quality domains" today and in my eyes it was a bargain.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

I'd say it's quite hard to argue you bought a high value, high quality domain for pretty much pennies (If it's high value), in a marketplace full of people searching for domains to profit on.

It doesn't really align.

8. dee

It aligned for me. Its what i do for a living for the day job.

9. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

That's not what my point is.

If you're making a living selling low quality/value domains, that's perfectly fine. My only point is that it would be great if Flip can maybe find a way to attract high quality domains and try to find a way to have a little bit of quality control.

10. WalkinDude United Kingdom

WalkinDude Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAagtcAup0o

In this vid Zuckerberg giving an insight into Facebook's intentions for Oculus Headsets the potential of augmented glasses and no doubt contact lenses at some point.

If they can get it to work he reckons no one will have to bother buying a computer [defo plus for the environment] and related stuff anymore you'll just access it all via holograms and augmentation. Being skilled in decision making starts becoming a more prized ability than being skilled in the physical world.

Don't personally see any barriers to all this taking shape but did make me think what it would mean for domain names.

You see with what he is proposing search engines potentially will become less important, not because people won't need to search but because anyone will be able to offer searches especially the most frequent ones which are more localized.

This is currently what's happening on Instagram. Don't have any figures but when you follow someone on Instagram you can also see everything they are following and choose who you are going to follow from there as opposed to searching through the main search box. It's less taxing mentally than 'infinite choice' options which are known to be psychologically harmful.

Were things to stay as they are Domain values will continue to slide downwards but the technology coming highly suggests that things like web development will be done by AI, all your SEO etc, content auto uploaded as you go through your day no doubt, you'll get most of your recommendations off people you are familiar with which is more comforting.

Overall content itself becomes a level playing field and decentralized [early signs of that emerging] and at the point or the way I like to see it, in any case, is the only technical way you will be able to truly distinguish yourself for extra or ultimate digital kudos is your digital address. I.e. your domain name as it's the only thing they [platform provider] can't own. Seems to me in the future domain names may well be used in a completely different way to how they are thought of and used now because you can inherit a domain name whereas you can't inherit someone's FB account and people are eventually going to wake up to that.

Most people if they understood the choice would want all their life's digital efforts housed on their own domain name which they are 100% owner of to pass on to loved ones or sell to their own desires. It's the technology that isn't there at the moment but it seems to be on its way.

So overall I don't think domain prices are depressed or in a slump they are the value according to what can actually be done with them at this time. Should the technology change then domain prices could start heading north again.

11. Ben Thomas

Crazy conversation guys. You can't compare Flip to DL lol.

Flip is at where DL was 4/5 years ago. You can't compare Jeff Bezo's to the startup founder down the street.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. dee

I think it'll get there. It seems like a great platform so far , and as people see stuff/buy stuff/ get used to checking there then it'll catch up. It's just numbers of bums on seats in front of it thats lacking at mo

13. lazarus

lazarus Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

I don't know why @Edwin has written this when he doesn't use flip. Reviews should be about the whole user experience.

Seems a little spiteful to me to write a bad review in it's infancy.

I like to see and act on constructive criticism so we can all benefit. I wonder... why the intent?

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/flip.uk

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  14. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Looks totally fake. Not Edwin's style at all.

15. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Looking at the other reviews under Edwin's name on Trustpilot, I can't help but feel this is a fake account. All reviews made on the same day.

Strange that it targets known Acorn members, though. Other than the toupees online website review...

16. lazarus

I thought that this was totally out of character too as I have always found Edwin to be extremely polite and courteous.

It would be very interesting to know who is behind this spoof account.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  17. 3gmedia

3gmedia Active Member Exclusive Member

Well its definitely somebody who doesn't like your platform,perhaps a competitor or someone pretending to be a competitor.

Anyway, its a great platform!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. lazarus

• Like Like x 1
  19. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

100% looks like a fake account. The Toupees review is the biggest giveaway.

20. Ben Thomas

Sounds like something Denys would do though

21. seemly

seemly Well-Known Member

Really? I don't agree.

But then I don't know Deny's at any capacity. You only (seem to) know him through the capacity of trash talking on his blog.