Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well !!!

At least people know now and you get a brief history lesson on gold aswell lol

All lessons appreciated :)

Leaflet dropped at my girlfriends yesterday, offering to buy broken, unwanted gold etc, and later on he knocked, when i answered and said no thanks, he asked if I was sure, cheeky b.

Must be doing something right, in his 58 plate range rover lol

Good idea if he is genuinely just buying, I had my suspicions that he was then gonna ask people to maybe just borrow on it. Sell it for one price or borrow on it for a little less, most people wont redeem it, so he gets it for even less, robbing b, if that was his plan.

Hooray for sunny salford :)

gold...?

Equities are the way forward. Gold has had its day, you are far too late.

Sure they look risky now in the short-term. But with yield in the double digits and interest rates sent to plummet, so these securities bought with a good dividend will see you right in the long term. Yes its going to be choppy for a while, but if you are prepared to wade through it you will be protected by the high dividends on offer.

I'd still be careful of the bail out banks...but there are some bargains out there. Imagine what happens when your investment is paying 10-15% and you are getting 3% in the bank!

Buy those dividends!

Good luck

shares and the markets

So my post does not get lost, I have posted this here

Equities are the way forward. Gold has had its day, you are far too late.

Sure they look risky now in the short-term. But with yield in the double digits and interest rates sent to plummet, so these securities bought with a good dividend will see you right in the long term. Yes its going to be choppy for a while, but if you are prepared to wade through it you will be protected by the high dividends on offer.

I'd still be careful of the bail out banks...but there are some bargains out there. Imagine what happens when your investment is paying 10-15% and you are getting 3% in the bank!

Buy those dividends!

Good luck

I think Gold hasn't had it's day for one very special reason. Gold is a finite product and as such it's vaue in the long term can only increase given that there is only so much gold in the world.

I'm not disputing Equities as an investment, but I think to right off gold would be foolish IMO.

I think Gold hasn't had it's day for one very special reason. Gold is a finite product and as such it's vaue in the long term can only increase given that there is only so much gold in the world.

I'm not disputing Equities as an investment, but I think to right off gold would be foolish IMO.

With that logic, you should buy Oil. It's a finite resource that is being used up...

With that logic, you should buy Oil. It's a finite resource that is being used up...
The difference with oil it that yes while as a commodity it will be in demand and go up in price and value in the near term, eventually it will be redundant.
Gold on the other hand is a precious metal with many uses the obvious one being jewelery and people will always want this type of commodity for personal reasons.

Where as oil will disappear either through over use or being redundant (or both) Gold, will always be around (especially for the next century) as an accessory if nothing else and people will pay more for it as it becomes less available.

Check the history books. If the world enters a full 1930s style depression, then personal ownership of gold bullion will likely be made illegal. You would be legally required to sell to official places at the official government nominated price.

If you have legally owned bullion then there will be a record of it, and they might just come knocking.

With the laws and regs in place these days it would be seriously unlikely to happen (although not impossible). It's a different world today than it was back in the 30's.

Sunny Salford

Thanks Domain Angel you had to mention Salford, born and bred there and spent the last 4 years stuck in F***ING South Wales BAA BAA BAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A LESSON FOR ME I THINK GETTING PUNISHED FOR BEING A NAUGHTY BOY WHEN I WAS YOUNGER.

I work for a broker and steer clear! luckily my company only brokes so all this volatility is good for us but many are/have had their fingers burnt.

I recommend investing in art if you do your homework and know who to buy. And at least you have something to put on your wall if it becomes worthless.

My favourite gold facts.

Gold is so malleable; it can be hammered cold into a translucent wafer five-millionths of an inch thick (0.000013 cm).

One ounce can be beaten into a sheet covering 100 square feet (9.3 square metres).

Gold is so ductile; one ounce can be drawn into 62 miles (100 km) of thin gold wire to make electrical contacts.

Need to keep off this thread now, as I'm starting to sing gold, and considering is it worth wpending 79p to get it :???:

And doodlebug, Salford aint sunny today, so stay in south wales :)

I used to work in a met (metalurgy) lab with an electron microscope and they used to used gold to increse conductivity or something, I was too busy dippin things in the liquid nitrogen (the coolant) to be bothered with gold (what was I thinking).

The conductivity is crazy.

That's why scrap circuit boards are worth a lot when you weigh some in. All/Most circuit boards have some gold on them.

I know someone in the trade of recycling and got rid of a load for a company and charged them then made £600 from scrap value. :D amazing or what?

Last edited:
I used to have a jewelery manufacturing business, and last i heard there is a limit to how much gold you can actually own legally.

the exception is gold coins, as for it being a sound investment, i think not, the ass fell out of the gold market when they discovered gold in Russia, its now higher than its been for a long time, so IMHO you should sell sell sell.

as for scrap gold, its all relative, 9ct, 18ct 22 etc so buy accordingly. but remember only a manufacturer will pay you full rate or close to, jewelers and pawnbrokers will not give you anything close.

the best way to invest in gold is sovereign's, buy at scrap at present its about £95 a sovereign, when i was in the gold game around 2000 to 2002 it was £64 for a sovereign, thats why i say sell!

gold is not getting rarer as was suggested in this thread, its still being mined today, so my advice would be, sell your gold quick and get it in to domains ;)

also gold does not alloy back when melted, if you take an ounce of scrap 9ct gold (clean) and melt it down and cast an ingot or chain then send it to be assayed, it will get a 9ct assay (hallmark)

and if you want to know what you should be paying for 9ct etc, devide the price by a troy ounce 31.1grm to get the 24ct per gram rate, then devide it by 24 and multiply it by 9 or 18 or whatever ct you want the price for, but remember, you need to buy below the quoted rate, at least 10% below, preferably 20.

door to door gold buyers:
Generally they are not looking for scrap as quoted in their leaflets, they are looking for broken repairable or vintage jewelery, if you do offer them total scrap they will give you less than half the going rate.
I used to sell Victorian and vintage jewelery mainly to America and one of my biggest sources was door to door guys, they used to get some real gems at ridiculously low prices.

also never buy new gold as an investment, you will blow your brains!
scrap gold on 9ct is probably around £5 a gram as we speak, jewelers sell for between £7 a gram for heavy stuff over an ounce from discount or market jewelers to £35 a gram from top high st jewelers

Like disruptive said earlier, gold has had its day in the short term. I have been in the recycling/scrap business for a number of years now and to be honest the boom has gone...for now. I've made substanial amounts of money earlier this year with catalytic convertors (precious metals inside) and yes I have been collecting circuit boards etc, but there are considerable costs with machinery etc to extract it. There are only small amounts inside.

Gold will always be a commodity as most countrys economies are backed up by and run on it, but thats a long term investment.

Oil wont be worth diddly squat in the long term as many automotive companies have been expecting the stuff to run out, so expect an alternative to come along far before it runs out.

We are laying people off (in our scrapyard) and thats because, short of an earthquake or similar, the future is currently bleak. Yes, you'll never see a poor scrapman, but believe me when I say one day you can feel like a millionaire and the next a pauper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Auctions Ending - Flip.uk

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction

Latest Comments

Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom