Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

September .uk drop discussion

Taking an asset they know didn't belong to them that they had no right to do

I think you're defensive of it because you did it also? is your tag cambridge?

sadly it is still happening as brag.uk just got renewed.

Ok maybe crime was the wrong word, not 100% of the legal repercussions all though I believe it should be criminal

If stealing any small physical item from a person is a crime why shouldn't a domain that could be worth millions

Admitting to an act still means you did the act* better? @Gill

The criminal definition of stealing is ...

A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

Anthony has already stated that he did it to highlight a flaw in Fasthost's system. You have slandered him by calling him a thief and suggesting he's stolen the domains.

The registry owns the domain, you're the registrant.

Well I know I can't trust your insight because you showed a complete lack of knowledge thinking fasthosts has the right to take peoples .uk domains without* consent

I can't be bothered to dig through t&c but you have rights as a registrant

Is this talk bothering you because of what Nominet might do next week?

Well I know I can't trust your insight because you showed a complete lack of knowledge thinking fasthosts has the right to take peoples .uk domains with consent

You're correct, I misinterpreted Nominet's T&C's and then assumed I was correct when we passed a Nominet review.

Is this talk bothering you because of what Nominet might do next week?

This talk isn't bothering me at all.

Last edited:
This talk isn't bothering me at all, I'm engaging with you because you're an arrogant prick who likes the sound of their own voice.

I'm definitely displaying some righteous indignation, is that coming across holier than thou?

You would hope everyone would be upset over this, it was wrong.

I'm definitely displaying some righteous indignation, is that coming across holier than thou?

You would hope everyone would be upset over this, it was wrong.

Personally I don't think it's any of my business.

Cambridge is Jason - I've sold him various town domain names as he is the leading UK geo guy. Found him a great guy to deal with.

Cambridge is Jason - I've sold him various town domain names as he is the leading UK geo guy. Found him a great guy to deal with.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the fasthosts debacle and what you think nominet should or will do??

I just want to be clear why I feel strongly about this

The t&c or renewal are clear, you have up until it's deleted by Nominet to renew

It can't be you have the right to renew up until it's deleted.. unless someone else interprets that you don't want it in which case they can transfer it to themselves

When can they interpret you don't want it? if you haven't renewed by drop day? week/month out? if your domain doesn't resolve? if you have "2017 website.co.uk" at the bottom instead of 2020?. Doesn't work

Nominet need to defend their t&c otherwise they're meaningless and no one can run a business on a .uk

Thinking what's happened is ok or "naughty" or like "skip diving" means you're cool with someone highjacking your domains whenever they want

Anthony has already stated that he did it to highlight a flaw in Fasthost's system.

I can see why @Murray feel strongly about this and why a lot of people will feel that this is wrong. I hope its wrong as this will destroy the business for a lot of people.

@Gill
You are right, domains belong to the registry, registrants kind of ease it until they chose to not renew it and at the point of delete it goes back to the registry. Registrars facilitates this process and registrars have to abide with registry Terms which are incorporated into their own term.

I don't want to tell anyone what they already know, just trying to add a bit of clarity to the discussion.

Registrars do a lot of dodgy stuff especially in the .com world. I have had a domain removed from my account and transfer to another account as soon as it reaches the redemption period. They point me to their terms which says that they can move domains from your account as soon as its expired not even redemption period. I had to complain to ICANN, forward them a copy and my name was returned even before I got any reply from ICANN.

Registrars will put terms that bends the rules of the Registry and for anyone to be able to transfer a domain name from another account to theirs without the consent of the current registrant must be wrong. This should not be facilitated by a registrar.

Also, if he did it just to show that what Fasthost is doing is wrong, why is one of the domain on auction?

I don't usually like to get into this sort of discussion because it sometimes goes into different directions and words can be translate to mean something else but on this one, its wrong and if Nominet terms allows it, then it must be rectified as this will give all the powers to large registrars. They already control who rules in Nominet now they will control and own majority of the assets as well.

I will express my views at the AGM. Nominet may shift blame to Fasthosts. I really don't know. The logical thing to do would be to simply de-tag all names where there is any doubt, until each one has been properly looked into. I don't want to say beyond that at this point. It's the weekend. I think you need to wait and see what both companies say next week. There are deeper issues about all this as well, which I have repeatedly complained about, about what happens when you mass-register names in the millions, and the problems arising from registrants in most of these cases being completely dislocated from their supposed domains because they never asked for them in the first place. Now logging off to watch football as I have Vardy in my Fantasy team and he better put some past West Brom. Had Salah yesterday as well : )

There was a time when only Nomimet could change the registrant details and the largest part of me thinks that's the way it should be because we all know where the buck stops if things go wrong. I enjoy the convenience of free transfers for self managed tags but it also feels a weak link.

Just to add, this issue falls squarely at Fasthosts feet, their system is obviously not fit for purpose.

I just want to be clear why I feel strongly about this

The t&c or renewal are clear, you have up until it's deleted by Nominet to renew

It can't be you have the right to renew up until it's deleted.. unless someone else interprets that you don't want it in which case they can transfer it to themselves

When can they interpret you don't want it? if you haven't renewed by drop day? week/month out? if your domain doesn't resolve? if you have "2017 website.co.uk" at the bottom instead of 2020?. Doesn't work

Nominet need to defend their t&c otherwise they're meaningless and no one can run a business on a .uk

Thinking what's happened is ok or "naughty" or like "skip diving" means you're cool with someone highjacking your domains whenever they want

I don't have a problem with you being pissed off, for the record I think it's killed an opportunity - no matter how small - for us to catch some reasonably decent names. My problem comes when you make it personal and start calling people criminals. Anthony stated his case and we're afforded the privilege of innocent till proven guilty in this country so I take him at his word.

we're afforded the privilege of innocent till proven guilty

He admitted it, no one else has

Ok he called it a "test" personally I wouldn't have even done a "test" because you have no right

But being forgiving maybe randomlongcrapnametotest123.uk as a test ok fine

Pyramid and peacock and llls? how can you swallow that, what reality do people live in

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom