Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

September .uk drop discussion

I will express my views at the AGM. Nominet may shift blame to Fasthosts. I really don't know. The logical thing to do would be to simply de-tag all names where there is any doubt, until each one has been properly looked into. I don't want to say beyond that at this point. It's the weekend. I think you need to wait and see what both companies say next week. There are deeper issues about all this as well, which I have repeatedly complained about, about what happens when you mass-register names in the millions, and the problems arising from registrants in most of these cases being completely dislocated from their supposed domains because they never asked for them in the first place. Now logging off to watch football as I have Vardy in my Fantasy team and he better put some past West Brom. Had Salah yesterday as well : )

Details below should not be read in isolation as to form an opinion of the events, previous postings in this thread go in to more detail about the reasons as to why and provide clarity as to my actions.

Your standing for election but you won't give your views until election day?

I posted my concerns after watching your purchase of charlie and publicising it here on acorn.

yes in your case you may have known the original registrant and had their contact details which you used when you realised how much you wanted it at such a late date, this is all well and good. Anyone can say all parties have the info but just a few days away and having already obtained peoples votes maybe you could have clarified the situation a little better.

However, it reminded me of lots of similar last minute goings on which people now seem to have forgiven, so I posted my views and how the procedure would possibly work.

I was contacted by someone who asked if I had done it, I had not at that stage, but felt guilty knowing the storm was to come, so created an account as stated previously and thought I would test on a few LLL's as they would be missed very quickly, I also then added a five letter domain, 6, 7 and 8 letter domain, could not see a 4 that would be high on peoples lists, most I was willing to risk proving this was £75 so 10 as a limit, added peacock and toucan, thinking I could make a few gags using those ones, but toucan did not work. I should have really checked the prices as the 7 or 8 I was expecting to pay as a reg fee turned out to be 12.50 each, doesn't show you the prices during the process as wit other details not shown.

As explained earlier in this thread, everything was done out in the open.

My intention was to show just how many dodges are going on and how unfair it all is.

Obviously no one likes a whistle blower around here, I wasn't naming and shaming people, jeez I have been on here long enough to know who works with who,who does what and why, no matter how clever they thing they are, but thats their business and as long as it doesn't affect me directly and personally its not my problem to deal with.

I flagged this and proved the point on this matter as the hypocrisy being shown by certain individuals was just too much.

Anyone using data that may be available but currently protected by legislation is still using it illegally.

whois or transferring a domain in to your account and then contacting registrant via email or phone is still going against the legislation imo

One of the other things people have noticed are domains that are renewed and then drop.As I have just done now and unrenewed png.uk

It will sit there like many domains until one day it will drop, usually after some kind person mentions it to nom and they look into it and it drops, successfully caught by possibly the person who unrenewed it or a connected party.

This has been going on for ages and catching got harder for everyone at the same time.

So more than happy to be shot as the messenger, but not theft in a million years and as its now a legal matter between myself, my company and a member here, I can not directly discuss it or give any more information.

Thinking what's happened is like "skip diving" means you're cool with someone highjacking your domains whenever they want

No it doesn’t. I gave an analogy; not my personal thought, so your assumptions are wrong.

The problem with people making assumptions is they believe they are the truth, they misunderstand and they take it personally, then they react by creating emotional poison with their words. This creates a whole big drama for nothing, other than trying to influence others that their assumptions are correct.

I’m off to continue filling my skip, anyone want anything out of it, then feel free to help yourselves :D

No it doesn’t. I gave an analogy; not my personal thought, so your assumptions are wrong.

The problem with people making assumptions is they believe they are the truth, they misunderstand and they take it personally, then they react by creating emotional poison with their words. This creates a whole big drama for nothing, other than trying to influence others that their assumptions are correct.

I’m off to continue filling my skip, anyone want anything out of it, then feel free to help yourselves :D

Not chucking out any old domains are you Frank?

I delved deeper into the implication that it's ok to take domains for yourself just because you interpret they aren't wanted

• Agree
Reactions: Hay
i have a family member who works in a supermarket, not long back they told me about a homeless person who takes food from the bins out the back... for example; Tesco has rubbish bins behind the back of their shops, If they find you in the bins taking food out they will call the police and have you arrested... Just because they are due to be thrown in the bin does not mean taking them is not theft, They have a strict procedure which is followed when getting rid of "unwanted" food however that procedure does not include someone taking it on the basis they assumed Tesco no longer needed it or wanted it.

Not chucking out any old domains are you Frank?

Funny story actually, there I was minding my own business on the way to the tip, listening to “hits from the 90’s’” when I was pulled over and robbed in broad daylight by two men who claimed to be people they weren’t, and unfortunately for me I didn’t realise what was happening. They then commandeered my domains as they needed them more than I did, and before I realise what had happened, they had stolen everything everything away from me before I had even got to the tip and fully made up my mind that I didn’t want them anymore.

I’m hoping for a full investigation from the local police department, and I have good faith they will find out the truth what happened, as they are the same police department who found the 9/11 terrorists passports amongst the Twin Towers rubble.

TLDR : No I haven’t

i have a family member who works in a supermarket, not long back they told me about a homeless person who takes food from the bins out the back... for example; Tesco has rubbish bins behind the back of their shops, If they find you in the bins taking food out they will call the police and have you arrested... Just because they are due to be thrown in the bin does not mean taking them is not theft, They have a strict procedure which is followed when getting rid of "unwanted" food however that procedure does not include someone taking it on the basis they assumed Tesco no longer needed it or wanted it.

But the police will only follow this up, if Tesco call them over the theft...

Tesco has rubbish bins behind the back of their shops, If they find you in the bins taking food out they will call the police and have you arrested... Just because they are due to be thrown in the bin does not mean taking them is not theft

It's worse, these domains weren't even in the skip yet. People may have thought that they were on the way to the skip, but they might not have got there because Tesco's may have changed their minds.

It's worse, these domains weren't even in the skip yet. People may have thought that they were on the way to the skip, but they might not have got there because Tesco's may have changed their minds.

Exactly and more to the point, Nominet has a strict procedure for expired domain names and what makes it even worse is some of those stolen was actually 18 and 20 hours into the drop day meaning that could have dropped at any second and people had wasted quota all day chasing them o_O

Skip diving makes it seem trivial

But if that wasn't your intention and you don't believe it's ok then that's fine, thanks for clarifying

But if they are deemed the same thing, then how can one be trivial but the other not trivial?

[QUOTE="Hay, post: 637199, member: 16973”]

what makes it even worse is some of those stolen was actually 18 and 20 hours into the drop day meaning that could have dropped at any second and people had wasted quota all day chasing them o_O[/QUOTE]

What’s the ACTUAL thing you have an issue with? The fact the domains were stolen or the fact that people have wasted their quotas chasing them?

This is why I used the term sour grapes earlier in this thread, as saying people had wasted their quotas all day on them just adds weight to the term...

To be fair, I don't think this is a fair analogy.

For example I see loads of 3DWEB'S domains due to drop today and tomorrow but I very much doubt any of them will actually drop and they will be renewed. I am sure Mark wouldn't be very happy if somebody else renewed them.

Ultimately I believe the blame is with the registrar fasthosts for allowing this to happen. Nominet should audit them tomorrow and recall all domains that were renewed in this way.

I remember at the first ROR drop, before I even discovered this forum, I tried to register some .uks with GoDaddy. They allowed me to add them to my basket and do through the checkout stage but at the last minute cancelled the transaction as my details did not match the current registrant. I am surprised this wasn't in place at fasthosts.

Hopefully this can end amicably as I have had dealings with both Murray and Ant, and found them to both be thoroughly decent blokes.

@domainseller200 My issue is they were stolen, people using their quota all day chasing them on single domain polling (Meaning they missed a shot at every other domain that that day) just makes it worse but the biggest issue here is the fact they were stolen.

Chris did something very similar a while back and i believe he was banned by nominet, tag revoked and a criminal case brought to him... Those domains was placed into permanent suspension even the ones that was moved onto other tags..

1 Basic definition of theft.

(1)A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

@domainseller200 My issue is they were stolen, people using their quota all day chasing them on single domain polling (Meaning they missed a shot at every other domain that that day) just makes it worse but the biggest issue here is the fact they were stolen.

Chris did something very similar a while back and i believe he was banned by nominet, tag revoked and a criminal case brought to him... Those domains was placed into permanent suspension even the ones that was moved onto other tags..

I think concentrating on the theft is far more important than the other catchers missing out (especially if anyone wants Nominet to actually pay attention)

I wonder on the legal side about the steps taken to acquire the domains

I don't know the full process, did you have to impersonate? did you illicitly gain data about the former registrant? are those things criminal

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom