Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Sorry, newbie question

Discussion in 'General Board' started by webego, Jul 9, 2019.

1. webego

webego Member

So are there any time restrictions on when you can transfer .com, .co.uk or .uk domains? None have been registered with my tag, all via either GoDaddy or 34sp.

By time restrictions I mean is there a period after initial registration where you aren't allowed to transfer it?
    Similarly is there the same type of restriction applied to renewals or even a fixed time before expiration date?

Curious about all .com, .co.uk and .uk domains.

Thanks!

The Newbie

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

IWA Meetup

3. BG United Kingdom

BG Well-Known Member

There are no 'time' restrictions regarding the transferring of .co.uk's / .uk's - You can do as you please!

When it comes to .com transfers... All you have to do it make sure you 'opt out' of the 60 day transfer lock and you're golden :)

Hope that helps.
    Barry

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. webego

webego Member

Thanks Barry, that does help a lot. Clear and concise.

5. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

Some registrars do have their own transfer limits for uk domains. I know fasthosts do and a couple of others.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

yep .. godaddy does 60 days , although Barry said theres an opt out.

7. webego

webego Member

Thanks. Yes, found that both 34sp and GoDaddy have 60 days from registration. But the opt out only seems to be available if you have transferred in from someone else.

8. lazarus

lazarus Super Moderator Staff Member

In regards to .uk. You can change the TAG to whatever you like via your registrant Nominet admin panel. Godaddy's T&C's can go do one. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Siusaidh

Siusaidh Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was my understanding. Just go to your Nominet admin panel. I have done a couple that way recently, and they're live with the new tag and resolving fine, even though the previous registrar still lists them on my control panel with them and will presumably try to charge me for renewal. But assuming the tag's changed, I assume there's nothing much the previous registrar can do.

10. Ben Thomas

Ben Thomas Well-Known Member

You can, but I'd wait until you have a couple of domains. Or if you're planning on registering in bulk etc. to bypass the 60 day wait on any registrar the domain has to be registered in your name with your email address. You can then go and claim your Nominet account and your domains will autopopulate in your domain manager. It will cost you £10 + VAT to transfer them from your Nominet account.

11. lazarus

lazarus Super Moderator Staff Member

If you have a self managed Tag then changing registrant / transferring is free.