20i Reseller Hosting

Steven Laidlaw AKA sofasteve on DL

Discussion in 'Domain Research' started by Murray, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Anyone know Steven?

He prebid on a couple of domains which were subsequently caught by myself and he won the auctions

I emailed him the 30th Nov on @comfysofa address and again this Monday but no reply

Seems to be a genuine buyer since I believe he bought comfy dot co uk and a couple of other domains on DL recently, but a week after winning an auction and no contact is a stretch

I could call his business number but that seems over the top

Hopefully someone here might know a better way to contact him to prompt him?

Thanks

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. bluerock United Kingdom

bluerock Well-Known Member Full Member

If you emailed him on the 30th Nov and its now Dec 8th I would not hesitate to ring him.
    At least you would know either way if he's going to proceed.
    9 days without contact is poor form.

4. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Maybe, but I feel like if he plans to pay he will so me chasing him wont change anything

Was more hoping he might be known personally by someone here who would be kind enough to prompt him

5. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Doesn't DL have a thing where you lose a competency point if you don't complete a sale after a certain time (I know it used to have, but I've not used it recently)? If so, you could use that as a talking point in reaching out to try and get the transaction speeded up...

6. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

I think Denys bans non-payers rather than just taking a point, which I would agree with

DL rules say

"The situation for the buyer is different as it could be a 'one strike and out' rule. We will not tolerate non-paying / non-responding buyers on DomainLore."

7. Edwin

Edwin Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying that.

8. ian

ian Well-Known Member

Not the case, they will reduce the buyers points by 2 and the seller by 1 (unless they are a 'trusted' seller in which case no points are deducted). The buyer can go as low as 1 before being banned, as was the case recently with a domain I sold and the buyer didn't pay.

9. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's any different if it's a prebid domain

A high prebid wastes every catchers time

10. cm1975 United Kingdom

cm1975 Well-Known Member

I sold him that comfysofa domain back in 2010. It was via Sedo and he had quite a distinctive email address at that time.

11. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

Just completed

Took chasing, paid by paypal so fees, didn't accept the transfer so it timed out and I just had to do it manually.

Just shy of 4 weeks to complete all in all..

Seemed like a nice guy on the phone but I wouldn't like to do business with him again.

12. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Well-Known Member

I think he's had e-mail problems Murray, he paid for a pre-bid on DL with me but hasn't been able to complete the transfer yet, I'd just hang tight..

13. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

It's completed

I did the transfer manually

14. PoshTiger United Kingdom

PoshTiger Well-Known Member

ah - sorry.. didn't see the last post..

15. deluxedomains

deluxedomains Well-Known Member

Glad you got it sorted .nice sale.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bensd United Kingdom

bensd Well-Known Member

Stepping outside of the domainer world (this guy has bought other domains but isn't a "domainer" so to speak), 4 weeks isn't a particularly long time to complete a transaction.

17. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

It's a single person dealing with a single person, It takes minutes to exchange details, pay and transfer a domain

I don't have to patience to be happy to chase people up to complete what should be a simple, quick, process

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Sadly when DL fails Denys is as much use as a chocolate teapot and you quickly realise there is nothing binding in any aspect of the system and you are on your own. When I asked for assistance with a seller who decided not to give me a domain I won he told me to leave DL. He's a complete muppet.

19. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

I don't think there is any marketplace that for such small values is "binding" like many claim, at worst the offender would be banned and the listing fee's refunded but beyond that it pretty stretched for most of them to claim its "binding". Probably different for higher values where it may be worth the time and effort to pursue the matter further.

20. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Then he shouldnt say this and tell you the buyer to go away when the seller 'changes his mind'.

Listing Domains for Auction
    Once you list a domain name, you are accepting to be entering into a legally-binding contract with the highest bidder. You are obliged to sell your domain name at the highest bid price

21. Adam H

Adam H Well-Known Member Exclusive Member

Yup I know, I've seen that term on practically every marketplace that has ever sprung up. Even Flippa wouldnt take it further when I was dealing with a XX,XXX sale 5 or 6 years ago. All they did was remove the sales listing, banned the buyer, I ended up completing a sale for slightly less of a value who got in touch privately a week later, Flippa then saw the whois change and tried charging me the final value fee lol..........erm no.