Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Tags and Breadcrumbs

I would keep them more broad, but they do look good in that place, just to complicated and similar.

I would keep them more broad, but they do look good in that place, just to complicated and similar.

I was thinking the same thing - maybe under 'transport' or something general like that?

I was thinking the same thing - maybe under 'transport' or something general like that?

Aaah ! Okay.... lightbulb moment. You see I was thinking more in terms of external search rather than internal. I guess im approaching the whole use of TAGs wrong. I was thinking potential keyword search rather than internal traffic.

I was just going to say, you are treating them like meta keywords, rather than broad terms that you will have other blog posts tagged under, but are maybe not quite as important to make a full category.

I would add tags to that page like...

river bus, battersea power station, city of london, canary wharf etc.

The above may be of interest for people to find more posts about and also over time you will probably be mentioning those topics in other posts so the tag list pages have a chance to build up over time.

Yep. I have the various posts in categories, News, Property , etc. And I've been treating the tags like long tail keywords, in some attempt to help with search traffic rather than the internal organisation.

Yoast 100%, imo

Tried one of the other popular ones before that and it added so much bloat it was unreal, can't remember which one it was now but it created sh*t loads of database tables for some reason and conflicted with several of my other plugins. Had no problems at all with Yoast.

Ooops, just remembered that it was a well known cache plugin which caused me no ends of problems.... not SEO.... so I've been using Yoast from the start, with no problems.

Okay.... so this is an example of what I mean about my TAGS if anyone has the time to take a quick peek.

https://battersea.co.uk/new-river-bus-at-battersea-power-station/

I have the post, and then I've added tags that I consider might be relevant for future search which show up at the bottom of the post.

Does this approach make sense in this context ?

In your example one tag would be 'river bus', then the next time you write an article about the river bus you also tag that 'river bus'. Its primarily for user navigation, although bots will also use them to crawl your site and discover your 'deeper' pages, and of course they are internal links so they pass juice.

ps. Nice domain!

In your example one tag would be 'river bus', then the next time you write an article about the river bus you also tag that 'river bus'. Its primarily for user navigation, although bots will also use them to crawl your site and discover your 'deeper' pages, and of course they are internal links so they pass juice.

ps. Nice domain!

Cheers. I get the use for internal linking now. I don't know why I thought they might help with search results and long tail stuff.

And thanks re domain !

You need a 'News' category.

Your article about the drug dealers getting arrested would be published in the 'News' category in the menu, and an appropriate tag would be 'crime'. Then readers can click on the 'crime' tag to see all news articles about crime.

Very good advice about the news aspect.

If you're going to have major site sections that are functionally very different, you may also wish to subdomain them. For example blog., classifieds., jobs. and so on. The benefit there is that, if each one ends up being a "proper" destination in its own right, you have the opportunity to start building up links and SEOing each one, potentially via different channels.

For instance, if you had job listings for 100s of jobs in the area, there might be sites willing to link to what is effectively a "local jobs portal" who wouldn't be prepared to link to a general area guide site. And it looks more like a thing in its own right if it's sitting on its own subdomain, not parked in some directory off the root.

Not to mention that it also makes setting up the underlying scripts running the whatever-it-is section easier, since you can install them at the root level (of the subdomain) i.e. in logically separate hosting space.

Yep... thats a good idea about the news. I hadn't spotted that. Thanks

Why subdomain for google news? Although don't you need three posts a day or so to be even considered. I'm a one-man band with a day job so unlikely my pottering will ever get to that level of output unfortunately

edit.... I think @Edwin answered my question while i was typing.

Very good advice about the news aspect.

Dammit, I deleted that out because I didn't want to overwhelm Dee.

For the benefit of Dee and others, I suggested putting news on a subdomain (news.battersea.co.uk) so that at some stage in the future it may qualify for Google News inclusion for that section.

(just seen your 3 posts a day thing, I'm thinking longer term... can hire freelancers to churn out the articles if you ever get big can't you!).

Dammit, I deleted that out because I didn't want to overwhelm Dee.

For the benefit of Dee and others, I suggested putting news on a subdomain (news.battersea.co.uk) so that at some stage in the future it may qualify for Google News for that section.

I'm all good thanks! Overwhelm away! It's all great input from more experienced people and overwhelmed is appreciated.

On the news/job/whatever subdomain front. Its a WP install. Would I just stick another install on the appropriate subdomain then and set custom links to each site from one another?

Actually I've never done it myself (the subdomain thing) :D

Thought about sticking a forum on a subdomain, forum.documentaryvine.com, so that any spammy crap on the forum wouldn't pull down the rest of my site... but I hate running forums so much that I sacked the idea off.

Sure there is plenty of how to's on Google though.

I'm all good thanks! Overwhelm away! It's all great input from more experienced people and overwhelmed is appreciated.

On the news/job/whatever subdomain front. Its a WP install. Would I just stick another install on the appropriate subdomain then and set custom links to each site from one another?

Multi-site is best for this scenario but you really need to start out with it from the outset rather than switching later on. I'm not a great fan of multi-site (can get a bit unwieldy) but, I think, it's better than having multiple wordpress installs.

Multi-site is best for this scenario but you really need to start out with it from the outset rather than switching later on. I'm not a great fan of multi-site (can get a bit unwieldy) but, I think, it's better than having multiple wordpress installs.

Makes sense. I'd have to update every install separately aswell I guess.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
URL Shortener
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom