20i Reseller Hosting

The .UK revolution

Discussion in 'General Board' started by Sirbigman, Jul 10, 2019.

1. domainscot United Kingdom

domainscot Active Member

Looks like good % of those.Uk domains that sold auction still with original catchers. Wonder why taken so long to tranfer to new owners or is it the dropcatchers bidding on own domains to set a value on .UK domains.

2. Domain Forum

Acorn Domains Elite Member

articles.co.uk

3. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

I just looked at some of the biggest sales, looks like the majority have been transferred?

Glasgow and Edinburgh notably haven't

Gay says "This sale was not completed." on the auction page

4. twostepsbehind United Kingdom

twostepsbehind Active Member Acorn Supporter

Saw an advert on the tube today for: kakaofriends.uk - no idea what is it

But a £xx,xxx marketing campaign for a .uk ! Good exposure surely

It redirects to a .com - but the .co.uk is parked on a hosting page

5. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Very unlikely to get away with schill bidding on DL , as was the case on a sale that got ran up and then reset recently. The seller on all of those mentioned ( gay, edinburgh, glasgow) is known and doubt would trash reputation for a few grand.

6. Alien

Alien Well-Known Member

I must admit I'm surprised at the prices some of the domains are going for on DLORE, etc. I just don't (personally) think some of them are worth the money they are fetching. But great for the sellers! Perhaps the bubble will burst? Perhaps it will fly high....!

7. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

As with any domain it depends what you do with it. If the answer is 'nothing' (as is often the case!) then you are likely right, but if there is a plan or a passion involved it's certainly an opportunity. It's either .co.uk or .uk, it's not like another uk based opportunity like this is about to arrive anytime soon. It's a gamble, certainly, but one that is interesting to watch pan out.

8. DaveP United Kingdom

DaveP Well-Known Member

It's basic psychology.

.co.uk has more than 20 years head start on .uk. Over those years UK businesses have collectively spent billions (if not trillions) on marketing and advertising.

They're not all going to dump years of work they've put into their marketing and brand awareness in favour of switching to the .uk, this would mean they would have to spend again on their marketing and that's possibly a cost the majority aren't able to or willing to spend.

Consumers and business owners alike have been conditioned to .co.uk and .org.uk for the most part. It's been engrained into their minds far longer than .uk. I'm fairly sure most consumers don't even know .uk is now it's own thing. That kind of conditioning doesn't change over night and it's unlikely to ever change.

You're all trying to convince yourselves that .uk is going to succeed as you have pound signs flashing in your eyes, and you're blinded by the cold harsh truth that .uk will never supersede .co.uk.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JMI

JMI Active Member Acorn Supporter

I would have 100% agreed with you 12 months ago. I think its just an awareness thing.

When we get taken out on the minibus on day release, we're on the motorway and I'm looking out the window and seeing more and more man-and-a-van using bloggselectrician.uk, bloggscatering.uk. I'm seeing it on daytime TV. Market awareness is slightly up and it will probably snowball within a 1-3 years. Don't underestimate what goes on on this forum in terms of affecting and impact on the nation's favourite extension.

But I agree with you, that right now .co.uk is 95% but I think there will be a tipping point - around 1-3 years, and all the sys-admins who binned .uk off are going to be in a world of hurt when the owners look to switch..

• Like Like x 3
  10. RobM

RobM Retired Member

Pointless arguing about what might happen. If .uk takes off and you have nice uk domains - kaching. If it doesn't in a few years - let them go. Better to try and fail than fail to try in my opinion. Obviously if you're spending lots of money on that you're lowering your potential profit margins and increasing your risk. I think there is a 'bubble' borne out by some of the poor uks now appearing but I think the main players have got the domains they really want to sit on or develop.

11. jmcc Ireland

jmcc Active Member

It is the classic Land Rush period for a few TLD. The prices haven't really stabilised and a secondary market hasn't taken shape. The registration patterns are also abnormal and won't stabilise for another few months. There is an artificial inflation element with the numbers due to the registrar land grab and that's giving people a false view of development/usage in the subdomain.

Regards...jmcc

12. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

If you own both the .co.uk and .uk of a domain name, do you now think selling them separately would reap greater rewards than selling them as a pair?

13. Murray

Murray Well-Known Member

At the moment yes

• Like Like x 1
  14. domainscot United Kingdom

domainscot Active Member

Both domains reached reserve price that was asked.
    If the buyer for those names is now refusing to buy them then name and shame them . was same buyer for both are they still allowed to to bid on domains.

What is the problem with those both domains are they going back up for auction.

15. dee

dee Well-Known Member Acorn Supporter

Sorry.... i didnt mean these domains. An auction of a good name got ran up by someone. Denys clocked it as it was happening and the auction got paused then reset to a high bid pre rogue element.

16. Trauiner United Kingdom

Trauiner Active Member

Going back over the previous replies in this thread, it seems that after the .UK extension being available to the .co.uk owners for a while, virtually no businesses were interested in the .UK - We have the good resource (https://switchedto.uk) which shows the pitiful amount of more well-known websites switching. c\

I wonder if there are any companies that switched to the UK, that have explained their reasoning?

17. Jiblob United Kingdom

Jiblob Active Member

The list on there are just a few that have switched. Admittedly, it could make for kinda grim reading. We need a bit of a crusade to persuade big companies to switch. I imagine that Nominet would never say anything because they won't want people to switch, I imagine it's not in their interest. Then again it's not in the interests of the companies to switch either.

If I was creating a new company I'd get the .co.uk and the .uk but use the .UK name and redirect the .CO.UK, I just think it looks better.

I sold this name --> https://introvert.uk and I really do think that the domain looks awesome with a half decent website on there.

18. PhilGreg United Kingdom

PhilGreg Active Member

I agree with Murray, that generally they could. However, there could be a number of situations to the contrary, where selling one, devalues the other or makes it so unattractive as not to sell at all.
    Deleted comment.

19. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

Yes, i think we'll see more and more of this. Big companies likely own both and so may well be more inclined to redirect to .uk over time. Certainly sites won't be doing the opposite (moving from .uk to .co.uk) and so its more a matter of the pace of change.

Also as more sites do switch to .uk , it may worry those companies that didn't bother to register the .uk leading to them taking steps to remedy that.

20. 3gmedia United Kingdom

3gmedia Active Member

Gumtree.uk redirects to the .com

21. newguy United Kingdom

newguy Well-Known Member

That's understandable, just as BBC.co.uk will soon direct to .com . I can't imagine many sites ever redirecting from .uk to .co.uk though , only the other way around.

• Agree Agree x 3