Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.

Windows 10?

Windows 10 upgrade?

• Yes, immediately

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Yes, later

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Ugh, no!

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • What?

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it automatically activates it though - best waiting I think.

Edwin is correct.

I downloaded from there when the auto upgrade failed to work. It will automatically activate so long as you are simply upgrading and not carrying out a fresh install.

Now that it is running, my first impressions are that it is very similar to Windows 7. It also seems quite nippy on my 5 year old computer. I also hate change so am quite happy with what I am seeing in the short time I have been using it.

Whats the start menu like Mat ? With windows 8 i use Pokki as a start menu because i hated windows 8.1 menu and i like things either on the desktop of easy to reach in a nice small menu, not a huge full screen scroll :rolleyes:

Had a sony message to say dont upgrade yet whilst we sort the drivers and other software out?

Had a sony message to say dont upgrade yet whilst we sort the drivers and other software out?

Oh Really ? All my machines are Vaio laptops...........was going to do it today so i guess i wont bother lol

Whats the start menu like Mat ? With windows 8 i use Pokki as a start menu because i hated windows 8.1 menu and i like things either on the desktop of easy to reach in a nice small menu, not a huge full screen scroll :rolleyes:

Pretty much the same as Windows 7. The Start menu programs are now called "Apps" and there is pinned clutter which can just be removed easy enough. The Desktop is no different really.

Pretty much the same as Windows 7. The Start menu programs are now called "Apps" and there is pinned clutter which can just be removed easy enough. The Desktop is no different really.

Well I disagree..

No swipes from the right to get to the juicy settings so no messing around with the Metro UI and then back again for wireless.

Things like wifi/bluetooth settings are very easy to access in an android type box in the bottom left.

Shutdown where it was in Windows 7 too, back on the start menu (along with all programs etc) - much much better than Windows 8.

As an FYI, my Windows 7 Pro got upgraded to Windows 10 home, not pro so watch out for that if you're connecting your PC to a domain.

Say goodbye to your privacy.
Nobody cares ?

Linux is not that difficult... ;)

Say goodbye to your privacy.
Nobody cares ?

Linux is not that difficult... ;)

Microsoft aren't google dude.

Linux is great for hobbyists but open source software in the enterprise (especially for end users) is a nightmare..

A lot of the commentary in that article is just plain scaremongering 'Cortana is the sexy spy in the machine'?

You can turn the data collection off - can you do this with google?

Have google deleted the consumer data they collected from open wifi points in Europe a while back? I know they were fined because they wouldn't delete it.

Take a look at how Microsoft are pushing back (at great expense) against the NSA's requests to obtain data from other countries that are on Microsoft's servers when Google just handed it over saying 'but they told us to'

I know who I trust more..

There are apparently well over 30 separate settings you need to change if you want to keep your privacy under Windows 10. This seemed like a pretty clear, comprehensive list...
https://fix10.isleaked.com/

Now imagine how the "average user" would fare...

There are apparently well over 30 separate settings you need to change if you want to keep your privacy under Windows 10. This seemed like a pretty clear, comprehensive list...

Yes, they've gone out of their way to make the privacy settings so numerous and convoluted that people don't bother changing them. Not to mention the huge 'express install' button vs the tiny 'custom' button when you first install. With the Windows 10 upgrade being free it's clear that they're going down the data collection and advertising route in a big way.

I've looked at that list and there's lots of things there that have nothing to do with personal privacy - some are, yes but others are completely unrelated.

Smartscreen to AV check downloads, is that really a privacy concern?

Show search suggestions as I type - can you turn this off with Google?

Send AV reports back to MS - again, can you turn this off with other AV providers?

I've no idea what concerns you so much in having the above turned on.

Google is intrusive too, but it's a site - not an operating system that runs your computer with potential access to all your files.

Now, for some reason people choose to put everything on the cloud, which is equally bad.

You can't trust any of these entities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members online

Featured Services

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
Acorn Domains Merch
MariaBuy Marketplace

New Threads

Domain Forum Friends

Other domain-related communities we can recommend.

Our Mods' Businesses

Perfect
Service
Laskos
*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators
Top Bottom